5th Starter

WookieOnRitalin

I think this warrants some serious discussion, but lets step it up a notch.

I guess I want to ask the board two questions (if the 5th spot can't be worked out within the organization):

Who would you like to fill our 5th starter spot who we might acquire with parting with somebody?

Who would like to fill the 5th spot that you think we could get without disturbing the team?

I don't want to giv up 2 or 3 good prospects for 2 or 3 months of Freddy Garcia. I'd rather go afta Joel Pineiro instead, at least we could get 2 or 3 good years out of him in a White Sox uniform.

Here's an interestin thought from Mike Downey,

White Sox need a No. 5 starter? How about they give Cliff Politte a crack at it? He was a starter in his Philadelphia and St. Louis days and he throws heat. (Just a thought.)

I don't want to giv up 2 or 3 good prospects for 2 or 3 months of Freddy Garcia. I'd rather go afta Joel Pineiro instead, at least we could get 2 or 3 good years out of him in a White Sox uniform.

Hopefully if Garcia was traded to the sox, they'd be able to resign him. I know he's good friends with ozzie and joey so maybe he'd want to stay on the southside. I know the sox would still have to throw money at him but hopefully the ozzie and joey factor would help some.

Hopefully if Garcia was traded to the sox, they'd be able to resign him.  I know he's good friends with ozzie and joey so maybe he'd want to stay on the southside.  I know the sox would still have to throw money at him but hopefully the ozzie and joey factor would help some.

I'm not sure it's worth the risk though. If Garcia pitches well for us, he could bolt in the offseason and get a nice big contract Colon style. ;)

I'm not sure it's worth the risk though. If Garcia pitches well for us, he could bolt in the offseason and get a nice big contract Colon style.  ;)

Right.... hopefully Reinsdorf would try to get some negotiations done before the offseason.

I prefer Garcia over all. I'm encouraged that KW did all he could to get it done sooner rather than later as testiment to Ozzie himself, who sat with him for 2 hours while KW worked the phones. Although I'm sure something could have been done if we were willing to pay any price, but I'm encouraged that KW didn't put us in a bad spot by giving a team just whatever they wanted. Overpaying is one thing, getting completely ripped off is another. At least that didn't happen, I would rather have Rauch see what he can do than have us do that in the short term.

I think we need to get Victor Zmabrano.. I doubt that would cost us a lot and he is a solid guy who can step in and pitch for us... We dont need a #1 type pitcher, we need someone who can come in a give us a solid outing when he pitches and Zambrano fits that mold perfectly.. I think it would be a smart acqusition

KipWells.

Yeah, I totally agree. I think we could get Kipper for not a lot (Just look how the Cubs basically scammed them last season), and he would be a hell of a righty to stick in our rotation. It would bump Garland and The Show down in the rotation, thus making them that more effective.

Another possibility is Tom Glavine. I know some people here don't like the idea of three lefties in the rotation, but Glavine can flat-out pitch. He's doing just as well as any other pitcher in the NL this season IIRC, and IMO, he wouldn't cost a lot, because the Mets would be trying to dump him and his salary. He'd be with us next year, and he'd be a good mentor for Mark Buerhle, Neal Cotts, Scott Schoenweis, and others like Arnie Munoz.

There aren't going to be any real 'aces' on the block (Im talking about Randy Johnson, Roy Halladay like guys who are #1 No Doubt pitchers). But there's going to be some good number twos and number threes. I guess the things factoring into his decision will be: Money (Sad but true. Jerry should Increase payroll at the ASB, but he probably won't). How much we give up (i realize you want to go for it now, but you don't want to give up the farm for a guy, especially if it's only for two or three months usage of him.)

Hopefully all this will be nulled out, and Jon Rauch will come up and dominate! :headbang

:rolleyes:

Why give up a lot for a #1 Type pitcher when we have MB and E-Lo right now??

Thats stupid..

28 - 19, that doesnt look like the record of a team that is in dire need of a #1 Stater... So roll your eyes all you want but giving up too much to get a #1 type pitcher when we have 2 capeable of that and the numbers show is just ignorant..

if you can prove to me that we do, then please, explain