Jon Rauch Likely Finished in Sox Organization

Obi-Wan Kenobi

Wow, what to do with the 5th starter now. There's no doubt KW will try to include Rauch in a package for a 5th starter, albeit probably without much success. My guess it'll be Munoz or Adkins, with Jason Grilli or Josh Stewart as the sleepers, if KW can't pull off a trade bf the next time the 5th starter is needed.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Look, why get rid of him after what he's done?

This can only help us.

The guy CANNOT act up again.

Now he's gotta be motivated or his career is over.

This could be good for us.

p.s. Why do all the pitchers in our organization

in the minors suck?

Beastly...Rauch left the lockeroom and left US Cellular before the game was over.  His teammates were upset and thats not a classy move. I don't care how s***ty you pitch, you stay there and cheer your mates on, especially when your a freaking rookie.

Good riddance Rauch...I'd rather see you cut then ever pitch again in Chicago and Kenny I give you major props for your stance, it shows that this is a team and that the Chicago White Sox won't accept his actions.

I can honestly say this is worse then what Paniagua did last year because in this case Rauch was letting down his teammates, big time.

Don't tell me beastly Changed his named again to post crap. Why don't you just eternaly ban his ass ;)

I had no clue any of this happened with Jon today. I will have to watch BBTN and see if they say anything. I just thought Jon had headed for Charlotte after pitching the game the Sox needed him for and since there was no need for #5 for about 2 weeks it was back to Charlotte. The question I have though is why all these vauted prize prospect we are supposed to have keep failing?

Why would we not be using the 5th spot for two weeks? We do have games on 6 consecutive days starting tuesday. Seems to me like we would need one.

What KW did was f***ing idiotic, to put it lightly. If KW wants to trade him and lambast him privately, go right on ahead. But to publically slam someone and state that he is available to anyone lowers his trade stock considerably. And before any of you say, "Anything for Rauch is good, he has no value!", keep in mind that he was a former minor league player of the year. A lot of teams are probably willing to take the chance on a kind of guy like Rauch, so KW would have been smart to keep Rauch's personal issues private. Now any team can name their price for Rauch, which gives them a huge advantage at the trading desk.

From Moneyball, rule #2 of trading:

The day you say you have to do something, you're screwed.

What KW did was f***ing idiotic, to put it lightly. If KW wants to trade him and lambast him privately, go right on ahead. But to publically slam someone and state that he is available to anyone lowers his trade stock considerably. And before any of you say, "Anything for Rauch is good, he has no value!", keep in mind that he was a former minor league player of the year. A lot of teams are probably willing to take the chance on a kind of guy like Rauch, so KW would have been smart to keep Rauch's personal issues private. Now any team can name their price for Rauch, which gives them a huge advantage at the trading desk.

From Moneyball, rule #2 of trading:

The day you say you have to do something, you're screwed.

Being Minor League Player of the Year Means s***. I've seen a Lot of Minor League players of the year that never have made the Majors.

Rauch's attitude Sucks and he's a 6'10" Pussy and Whiner, Don't try to say it's a misundertstanding, you got your ass kicked so take it b**** :fyou

Ohh and Nanita is a pretty good Prospect

Being Minor League Player of the Year Means s***. I've seen a Lot of Minor League players of the year that never have made the Majors.

Rauch's attitude Sucks and he's a 6'10" Pussy and Whiner, Don't try to say it's a misundertstanding, you got your ass kicked so take it b**** :fyou

Ohh and Nanita is a pretty good Prospect

You missed the point completely. The simple fact that he was the MiLPOTY raises his trade stock considerably over someone who wasn't.

Nanita is not a "pretty good prospect". While I do like him, I was very, very weary of ranking him so high on the Sox's prospect list because he was a 22 year old destroying the Rookie leagues. While his tools are much better, as of right now he's the clone of Edgar Valera stat wise, who fell off the face of the Earth after demolishing Rookie ball. Once he starts putting up good numbers outside of Rookie ball, then he can be considered a pretty good prospect.

I watch a stanley cup game and go out for a bit and come home to this news. Wow.

We're gonna struggle with the 5 spot until KW is able to acquire a front-line starter i think, which might not be for a while, closer to the deadline. I don't know what to do from here, there's just no obvious answer.

What Rauch did was obviously wrong, i agree with everything Jason has said. But KW didn't handle it right, i thought about the moneyball rule as well. This lowers the value of a minor league player of the year a lot.

I watch a stanley cup game and go out for a bit and come home to this news. Wow.

We're gonna struggle with the 5 spot until KW is able to acquire a front-line starter i think, which might not be for a while, closer to the deadline. I don't know what to do from here, there's just no obvious answer.

What Rauch did was obviously wrong, i agree with everything Jason has said. But KW didn't handle it right, i thought about the moneyball rule as well. This lowers the value of a minor league player of the year a lot.

I don't know. I think the Sox have some guys that are capable of turning into solid 5th starters, although the Sox will have to be patient with them and ease them into the development.

I don't expect anyone in the Sox organization to come in and dominate. The Sox don't have any prospects that are capable of doing that, imo. However, I do feel that Felix Diaz or potentially Arnie Munoz could come in and eventually turn into a pretty good 5th starter after a few starts, well a lot better then what the Sox have had.

But will they be patient and ease them in jason? Recent history says no, that's what worries me.

I agree we have guys that could eventually fill out a 5 spot, but will it be this year? That's the main concern right now. I just hope one can hold down the fort halfway decent until KW makes a move.

But will they be patient and ease them in jason? Recent history says no, that's what worries me. 

I agree we have guys that could eventually fill out a 5 spot, but will it be this year?  That's the main concern right now.  I just hope one can hold down the fort halfway decent until KW makes a move.

I'd agree. I think Kenny is burning to make a move and acquire a heck of a pitcher. Personally I don't think their is much chance that we see another 5th starter from within. The Sox are going to make a trade by then, I just hope Kenny doens't force something.

He's not going to sit around and continue to see the Sox lose every time the 5th guy pitches till July...he's going to address the issue now and I gotta say its reasons like this that I like Kenny, although its also reasons like this I can dislike Kenny :lol:

I'm glad KW is being aggressive this early and addressing issues before they linger on and cost us more ball games.

I agree with what you said...it's the reason to love KW but also a reason that worries you. We just have to hope the 'right' move is made, and not so much a 'rushed' move. I think he'll get this one right

He's not going to sit around and continue to see the Sox lose every time the 5th guy pitches till July...he's going to address the issue now and I gotta say its reasons like this that I like Kenny, although its also reasons like this I can dislike Kenny  :lol:

THe problem is that no one is willing to deal yet. TO get what he wants NOW, he is going to have to give up more than market value for the player. So, I dont see a new pitcher here for another month or so. Maybe mid-june at the earlist.

Guys.. FWIW, Jon was told before he even tossed a pitch that he was going back to AAA and that he was going right after he was done. He showered and left to meet his family who had driven in from Kentucky to see him pitch, and he was driving back with them. At any given time there are 20+ people in the clubhouse during a game. Jon didn't just sneak out.. he claims he spoke to Hahn and Cooper before leaving, and I'd wager high that Kenny knew he was leaving when he was leaving and spouted his mouth off to take attention away from the outcome of the game.

Guys.. FWIW, Jon was told before he even tossed a pitch that he was going back to AAA and that he was going right after he was done. He showered and left to meet his family who had driven in from Kentucky to see him pitch, and he was driving back with them. At any given time there are 20+ people in the clubhouse during a game. Jon didn't just sneak out.. he claims he spoke to Hahn and Cooper before leaving, and I'd wager high that Kenny knew he was leaving when he was leaving and spouted his mouth off to take attention away from the outcome of the game.

For some reason, K Will's reaction seemed motivated by something else besides Rauch "messing with the Sox family".

He could very well be using this episode as an excuse to trade Rauch [not out of Rauch being horrible, but for this transgression]. That way, other GM's may think Rauch is more valuable than the BP pitcher he really is.

I can see your point here, I hope KW is not doing this to take heat off himself.

from a story at whitesox.com

Rauch called ESPN Radio 1000, the White Sox flagship station, well after the game and explained to hosts Dave Wills and Bill Melton that he didn't leave early out of any sort of malice or anger. His family had driven up from Louisville to watch him pitch, and knowing that he was not staying with the team, there was an alleged miscommunication that Rauch had to stick around. According to Rauch, he already had talked to pitching coach Don Cooper and assistant general manager Rick Hahn about the issue.

"I just want to clear it up," Rauch said during the interview. "The whole thing was a huge miscommunication. The situation already was in place that I was not going to be there much longer than one start. I just wanted to get out of there and be with my family.

"Hopefully, this all will get cleared up. I just want to apologize for any miscommunication. I want to apologize to my teammates. I'm not like that. I don't want them to think I bad-mouthed the team or was trying to make them look bad by any means."

The consensus opinion, from manager Harold Baines to Koch himself, is that Rauch didn't really pitch that poorly. It was four bad pitches up in the zone, according to Koch, that cost Rauch five runs during the fourth inning -- the only frame in which the Angels (30-19) scored. But Rauch needed better location with a fastball that was clocked between 85-91 mph.

from the same story, on Rauch's future with the Sox:

"We waited after the game to make the move with Rauch and he had left," said Williams, through White Sox spokesman Scott Reifert, prior to Rauch calling the radio station. "That's not something we condone here. We are a family and we root for each other.

"That severely hampered his chances of ever pitching in Chicago again. If there's another team that's interested in Jon Rauch, they should call Ken Williams."

Guest JimH

Actually, to be serious, I wonder if the Cincinatti Reds would take a chance on Rauch?

They've shown they're willing to take on a guy with questionable make up (see D'Angelo Jimenez), and Rauch is from Kentucky, so he'd be kind of a local guy for them. Plus, the Reds weakness is pitching, and right now they're in the race.

Might be an interesting trading partner.

Either way, it's time for Jon Rauch to have a change of scenery. For his sake and the White Sox sake, I hope it happens soon.