Ordonez may go on DL

greasywheels121

Notes: Ordonez may go on DL

If right fielder not ready to go Tuesday, move likely

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Magglio Ordonez's medical malady has gone from day-to-day to week-to-week.

But even with the All-Star right fielder out of the starting lineup for the fourth straight day in Saturday's game against Anaheim, the White Sox stand by the assertion that Ordonez's left calf strain is not serious.

The team had an MRI done on Ordonez's left knee Friday to ensure that no structural damage had been done while swinging at a Carlos Almanzar pitch during the seventh inning Tuesday.

According to head trainer Herm Schneider, results revealed that Ordonez had soft tissue problems and inflammation behind the knee, where the calf muscle comes up and somewhat overlaps with the hamstring. Ordonez will be out the lineup again Sunday and then be re-evaluated on Tuesday before the game in Oakland.

If Ordonez still is not healthy at the time, there's a chance he could be placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to Wednesday, for the first time in his career. Joe Borchard would be a prime callup candidate if that situation played out, with the 2000 first-round draft pick hitting .288 with nine home runs and 35 RBIs for Triple-A Charlotte.

"They thought (Ordonez) would play yesterday, but he came in and had a few issues," said Scott Reifert, the White Sox vice president of communications, speaking for Schneider while he was busy putting Ordonez through daily treatment. "They think he's fine."

Left-handed hitting Ross Gload earned the start in right field Saturday against Anaheim's Aaron Sele. Gload threw out Chone Figgins trying to stretch a single into a double in the first inning.

Refresher course: Joe Crede was given a mental health day off, of sorts, Saturday as Juan Uribe started at third base. Manager Ozzie Guillen wanted Crede to have a chance to catch his breath and relax in the throes of a 7-for-52 slump (.135) over his last 15 games. Crede has hit in six of his last eight games and has 19 RBIs in his last 30 games, but entered Saturday with a .205 average in 161 at-bats.

"I just want him to relax and not think about the game for a little while," said Guillen after Friday's 4-3 victory. "Hopefully, he will get refreshed and swing the bat the way we want him to and the way we know he can."

Playing with pain: As a group of media approached reliever Mike Jackson prior to Saturday's game, teammate Esteban Loaiza anticipated the question for the right-handed reliever before it even could be asked. Loaiza just phrased it a little bit more sarcastically.

"How's your knee, old man?" said Loaiza with a smile, drawing a laugh from Jackson.

The 39-year-old Jackson, the elder statesman of the team and one year younger than Guillen, was sore Saturday but available to pitch after taking a line drive off the bat of Jeff DaVanon just below the left knee in the seventh inning of Friday's game. It wasn't so much the force of the shot that bothered Jackson but more the location.

"It just hit me in a spot where I have three staples in my knee from high school surgery," said Jackson, who has a 3.79 ERA over 14 games. "I'll be all right.

"I'm just sore, and I can pitch. It didn't swell up at all, which is a good sign. It could have hit me anywhere else but my knees. That's one area I'm sensitive about."

A fond farewell? Kelly Wunsch had some suspicions that he would be the pitcher sent down to make room for Jon Rauch, Saturday's starter, even before Friday's game was complete. The White Sox already had reassigned him once this season, he had options remaining and left-hander Neal Cotts had been returned to the bullpen.

But it didn't make the situation any easier for the affable Wunsch when he was told of the move following the victory. Wunsch started the season on the 15-day disabled list with a strained muscle just under his left shoulder and has been working to regain his velocity and arm strength in the interim.

"My arm is getting better, and as far as I know, it's OK," said the well-spoken Wunsch. "I'm available every day and ready to go. I just haven't pitched much here to get on."

Wunsch worked three games in relief for the White Sox, allowing two hits and one walk in two innings, while striking out one. He allowed two of his three inherited runners to score, but beyond the statistics, he just didn't fit into the team's bullpen plans.

The biggest issue for the 31-year-old, who made his Major League debut on the South Side in 2000 and appeared in an American League-leading 83 games, is moving his family around the country during this period of uncertainty. His wife, Jessica, and son Fischer joined him in Chicago, and Jessica is due with their second child in two to three weeks.

It doesn't appear the new baby will be growing up in Chicago.

"Nothing is definite, but it looks like I will be taking my nameplate with me this time," Wunsch said. "I'm pretty sure they don't see me as an $800,000 Triple-A reliever.

"I can deal with it. I'll pitch anywhere. But the biggest thing is my family. I'm a dad and husband, and my job requires me to be in places unfortunately where my family is not."

Down on the farm: Brian Anderson had four hits and four RBIs, and Ryan Sweeney added two hits and two runs scored during Single-A Winston-Salem's 5-3 victory at Kinston on Friday. Anderson is tied for the Carolina League lead in doubles with 15, ranks second in extra-base hits (22) and sits fourth in batting (.322).

Jeremy Reed had two hits, including his third home run, and Felix Diaz improved to 7-0 with six strikeouts in six innings during Charlotte's 5-4 victory over Syracuse. Shortstop Michael Morse hit his 10th home run during Double-A Birmingham's 6-5 loss at Jacksonville in 10 innings.

My thoughts on Ordonez.

-He needs some time off for injury??? Sure, take it. It will let us know if Reed is ready for the majors...and with the Rauch controversy...sure, try it.

My thoughts of Wunsch

-Yeah, its going to get hard for this guy...trade him or keep him up here...its really getting annoying...though I think Kenny brought him up so he could show people that he's not a fluke....

And the minor leaguers...good for them...

Well, its a loss, but we still have Timo, Gload, and Rowand

:puke

Well this was bound to happen sooner or later, the sox were just getting too lucky avoiding injuries. If he's hurt, don't joke around, put him on the DL and bring up Borchard/Reed

I think Borchard will be the 1st up, assuming his back isn't too bad. I know he was available to pinch hit tonight and I'm assuming he will be in the lineup tomorrow.

I got a feeling the Sox don't want to rush Reed, especially since he's dealing with one of his first slumps in his professional career, which I believei s caused by his injured wrist.

well if Maggs isnt ready by Tuesday they can DL him retroactive to Wednesday, 7 days earlier. Then basically we just need someone for a week. I'd rather have Maggs get an extra week off to make sure while we played Borchard or Reed than Maggs sit on the bench unable to play for 10 days or come back too early and aggravate the problem