Mets Have Interest in Rauch

maggsmaggs

JUST ASKING: The Mets planned to inquire about Jon Rauch, the 6-11 White Sox pitcher who drove home to Louisville after getting knocked out of Saturday's game in the fourth inning, drawing the ire of GM Ken Williams. Rauch, Baseball America's 2000 minor-league Player of the Year, has a 2-2 record and 7.24 ERA in nine career big-league appearances.

"He severely hampered his chances for ever pitching for the White Sox again," Williams said in a statement. "If any team has any interest in Jon Rauch, they should contact me."

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...0p-171436c.html

Looking at their roster in AAA, the guy I think that could help us is Pat Strange, a former top-prospect for the Mets, maybe a change in scenery would do wonders for both.

Maybe we can make a bigger deal that includes Rauch and maybe Borch and some otheres  for Glavine or Leiter

That sounds like something that might work. Anything that'd get someone somewhat reliable in here to plug that hole in our 5th starter slot.

Maybe we can make a bigger deal that includes Rauch and maybe Borch and some otheres  for Glavine or Leiter

Ding!

I was waiting for someone to bring up Leiter or Glavine, both are two names you wouldn't expect the Sox to be after, and it wouldn't shock me at all to see Kenny go after one of the them.

How about we don't trade Jon Rausch? Let's step back a minute and I would ask that KW do the same thing. He does in fact seem to have calmed down and is saying something a bit different now. Jon Rausch made a stupid immature move, but he has talent and I think now understands what he did was wrong. But, it's not the end of the world. I think motivation is now the answer. Jon Rausch must be motivated to show the team he made a mistake and has learned from it. He must also want to produce and show that he can be a winner at the ML level. KW is right to say that Jon needs to talk with the other teammates and ask for their blessing for him to continue. I would think they will give it to him and then Jon takes the hill with a fire to show he deserves that chance. Folks it is all about motivation and leadership and don't mistake the importance of character building in developing a winning mindset in a team. I think the cohesiveness of this team will be the thing that gets them to the top after 162 games are played. The demand to trade Jon Rausch is somewhat understandable, but retribution is not the answer. Jon Rausch deserves a spanking and he is getting it, but you don't shoot yourself in the foot after you stick it in your mouth or up your rear. Use this situation for the teams and the organizations advantage to send a message, but also show the willingness to forgive, that's family too. KW can make an important move here and I hope the rush to trade is not it.

How about we don't trade Jon Rausch? Let's step back a minute and I would ask that KW do the same thing. He does in fact seem to have calmed down and is saying something a bit different now. Jon Rausch made a stupid immature move, but he has talent and I think now understands what he did was wrong. But, it's not the end of the world. I think motivation is now the answer. Jon Rausch must be motivated to show the team he made a mistake and has learned from it. He must also want to produce and show that he can be a winner at the ML level. KW is right to say that Jon needs to talk with the other teammates and ask for their blessing for him to continue. I would think they will give it to him and then Jon takes the hill with a fire to show he deserves that chance. Folks it is all about motivation and leadership and don't mistake the importance of character building in developing a winning mindset in a team. I think the cohesiveness of this team will be the thing that gets them to the top after 162 games are played. The demand to trade Jon Rausch is somewhat understandable, but retribution is not the answer. Jon Rausch deserves a spanking and he is getting it, but you don't shoot yourself in the foot after you stick it in your mouth or up your rear. Use this situation for the teams and the organizations advantage to send a message, but also show the willingness to forgive, that's family too. KW can make an important move here and I hope the rush to trade is not it.

as great as that sounds... i'd definitely take a package deal that involves us getting Leiter or Glavine over keeping Rauch and Borchard.... plus i kinda just dont like the guy [Rauch] anymore

I said we should trade for Glavin after the 1 hitter he had. I would love to see Glavin with the Sox.

Agreed - after the one-hitter, even of it was just one game, you know the guy still has it. He was hitting all his spots, he mixed up locations and speeds, it was an awesome game to watch. He does carry his contract into 2005, so that will probably make for part of the decision, but I'd personally love for him to be stuck right into the number three spot (Making the rotation Buerhle-Loaiza-Glavine-Garland-Show, L-R-L-R-L). Not to mention he brings the playoff experience.

Glavine for Rauch and (Can this deal be made without dealing Borchard-Sweeney-Anderson-Honel-Reed-Munoz?)

No way, for the Mets to give away Glavine, We would have to give 1 of our outfield prospects: Borchard, Reed, Anderson or Sweeney.  Not to mention a top flight pitching prospect,  either Honel or Munoz.

we are gunna have to give those guys away if we want ANY starting pitcher

Glavine is still owed a ton of money, so the odds of this deal happening are about as slim as they would be for Al Leiter who is owed a very similar amount of money.

Clearly, Williams has been given the go-ahead from board Chairman Jerry Reinsdorf to take on more payroll if necessary, with one source saying the amount is large.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...tesox-headlines