Ordonez Discussion

The Beast

I thought about this, and really, who needs another outfielder right now for the free agent class of 2005...

Yankees have-Sheff, Matsui, Williams, Lofton-depends if they sign Beltran

Mets-Floyd, Garcia, Cameron, Spencer

Seattle-Ichiro, Ibanez, Winn, McCracken

I just know since Seattle is slashing payroll they'll be in the market...same with the Mets, but their case is that they just have busts...

It'll be interesting to the least of what happens with Magglio...

Mets fans would kill for Ordonez, in fact I think a few have already tried in vain.

The mets have a weak system though, so they will not try to trade for him. They might give him the best contract offer this winter though.

Or we could let Mags walk, stick Reed in right and then use the money we don't have to pay Mags anymore on other needs.

Again, I do not forsee Reed as a power hitter...you see we are in a dilemma, before we get a 5th starter we must realize that we cannot trade borchard yet b/c of his power...Reed will hit for contact, lose Borchard, we lose a power bat...and so thats why I bring this up...

Or we could let Mags walk, stick Reed in right and then use the money we don't have to pay Mags anymore on other needs.

I don't know if anyone has noticed, but Reed's average is falling like a sack of bricks.

He is in the .280's now.

Obviously that is still not bad, but I don't think we can just assume that he is going to be ready to be an everyday starter next season.

There is no reason to rush this guy.

Again, I do not forsee Reed as a power hitter...you see we are in a dilemma, before we get a 5th starter we must realize that we cannot trade borchard yet b/c of his power...Reed will hit for contact, lose Borchard, we lose a power bat...and so thats why I bring this up...

We can find power in other places, but I would rather have Magglio than Reed.

However, finances are going force Magglio out of town.

Wouldn't you rather have Reed and 10 mil to spend on other needs than Mags?

I'd actually love to have both :lol:

I know what you are saying, and your scenario is going to play out, because it doesn't look like are chances of resigning maggs are that great.

I will be interested to see who we spend the money on.

the free agent class will be solid, maybe a bit too pricey though.

I'd actually love to have both :lol:

I know what you are saying, and your scenario is going to play out, because it doesn't look like are chances of resigning maggs are that great.

I will be interested to see who we spend the money on.

the free agent class will be solid, maybe a bit too pricey though.

We'll I am sure we would all love 10 mil to spend + Mags but that just isn't going to happen.

We'll I am sure we would all love 10 mil to spend + Mags but that just isn't going to happen.

I didn't mean that we should spend 10 million and keep maggs, in fact I doubt that we will even spend 10 million when maggs leaves...it would be uncharacteristic of Reinsdorf, and will depend on how the Sox perform this season.

What I meant was I would love to have Reed and Maggs. That way we can have reed and maggs at the corners for a long time.

But it won't happen.

I didn't mean that we should spend 10 million and keep maggs, in fact I doubt that we will even spend 10 million when maggs leaves...it would be uncharacteristic of Reinsdorf, and will depend on how the Sox perform this season.

What I meant was I would love to have Reed and Maggs.  That way we can have reed and maggs at the corners for a long time.

But it won't happen.

Oh, then just ignore my last post.

If we make the playoffs and generate some nice revenue it COULD happen. Anyways, I'm skeptical of the sources that are saying Maggs was offered 14 million over five years and he rejected it, isn't that what he originally sought out to get?

I love Maggs, but you shouldn't have to pay any more than what Vlad is getting in Anahiem IMO. Vlad is younger, has a cannon in right, awesome at the plate too. If Maggs really wants to be here, he would take the 12 million or there abouts contract that the Sox offered.

I hate to be a broken record but it's obvious we don't need Maggs....

Just use him to get a decent pitcher...

Because we've won a couple of games without him? You want Ross Gload/Aaron Rowand platooning at RF the rest of the year?

People don't just give away good pitchers, and there aren't a lot of teams offering pitchers who are in their prime. If we traded Mags, I'd want an ace who's at or around the age of 30. Not Randy Johnson... A Roy Halladay like guy. And frankly, that isn't happening...

Maggs or no Maggs the sox don't need more power. They're going to have carlos, pk and Frank all under contract next year and that's enough power as it is. What the sox need is a contact type guy like Reed. wharris I'm with you I'd rather let reed play next year and spend 14 million on bigger holes.

Maggs or no Maggs the sox don't need more power.  They're going to have carlos, pk and Frank all under contract next year and that's enough power as it is.  What the sox need is a contact type guy like Reed.  wharris I'm with you I'd rather let reed play next year and spend 14 million on bigger holes.

I want to see Reed maintain a 300 average or there-abouts at Charlotte before I see him in a Sox uni. Granted, it's only a couple of months in and there is (IIRC) some wrist soreness, but let's not rush him. Im happy with our outfield as it is right now, and if Borchard keeps hitting like he has of late, then we can send Joe up before Reed, which is all the better. Let's not rush him.

BTW, ABoz, A few days ago you mentioned Borchard sat out a game or two because of, perhaps reaggravating the back injury. Was he in the lineup yesterday (Or two days ago) and how's he doing?

I want to see Reed maintain a 300 average or there-abouts at Charlotte  before I see him in a Sox uni.  Granted, it's only a couple of months in and there is (IIRC) some wrist soreness, but let's not rush him.  Im happy with our outfield as it is right now, and if Borchard keeps hitting like he has of late, then we can send Joe up before Reed, which is all the better.  Let's not rush him.

BTW, ABoz, A few days ago you mentioned Borchard sat out a game or two because of, perhaps reaggravating the back injury.  Was he in the lineup yesterday (Or two days ago) and how's he doing?

I'm saying reed for next year if Maggs were to walk. If kenny doesn't trade carlos for a frontline starter then Reed will have rf open up for him next year if Maggs walks and he'd be the perfect type of player to be in the lineup everyday, a contact guy who doesn't swing for the fences.

Maggs or no Maggs the sox don't need more power.  They're going to have carlos, pk and Frank all under contract next year and that's enough power as it is.  What the sox need is a contact type guy like Reed.  wharris I'm with you I'd rather let reed play next year and spend 14 million on bigger holes.

Carlos is streaky, and Frank is aging. No guaruntees that they will be able to carry an offense.

I don't think we are going to have Maggs back, but that doesn't mean our offense will produce just as much without him.

Carlos is streaky, and Frank is aging.  No guaruntees that they will be able to carry an offense.

I don't think we are going to have Maggs back, but that doesn't mean our offense will produce just as much without him.

Again that's not what I'm saying. The power aspect of the offense is fine and will be fine for next year. Carlos is definitely streaky, Frank's aging but still producing. Pauly will still be around next year also. I'm saying power isn't a need for the offense even for next year. The sox will still need more contact guys that can get on base and run. I'd love to have Magglio back but I think filling reed in, in rf and using the 14 mill elsewhere is the smartest thing to do.

Ordonez could become a Met especially if the Yankees get Beltran. We could get prospects Kazmir, Peterson, and Wright.

This from Newsday:

Newsday has learned that Ordoñez's contract negotiations with the White Sox recently fell apart after he rejected a five-year, $70-million bid, exactly what he originally sought. Ordoñez now is all but certain to leave.

The Mets are still tracking Alfonso Soriano, too. But Ordoñez - a real rightfielder - makes more sense.

Starting with pitchers Scott Kazmir and Matt Peterson and third baseman David Wright, who's burning up the Eastern League (.343), the Mets possess bargaining chips.

Some fan wanted Valentin part of that deal for K. Matsui on the Mets but I don't think it'll happen. Just wanted to bring up a conversation.

Ordonez could become a Met especially if the Yankees get Beltran. We could get prospects Kazmir, Peterson, and Wright.

This from Newsday:

Some fan wanted Valentin part of that deal for K. Matsui on the Mets but I don't think it'll happen. Just wanted to bring up a conversation.

I question the reliability of a source in New York having more 'inside' news about contract negotiations than any one of the Chicago papers...

I question the reliability of a source in New York having more 'inside' news about contract negotiations than any one of the Chicago papers...

You never know who has sources where.

After all, Reinsdorf is from NY.