Ordonez rejects contract...

Elcaballo45

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

players come and go.... if someone doesnt want to be a Sox fan anymore because Maggs leaves or is traded, then maybe they arent that big of fans in the first place..

Agree. But unfortunately many of these morons are ST holders. Can't aford to lose many more of those. :unsure:

Fan.. err.. Queen..  :lol:  Great point.. however if he can get guaranteed $$ somewhere else is it wrong to take it? If your boss says maybe we'll pay you IF you do a good job.. but another offer comes along and tells you we'll pay you no matter what.. which would you take?

No one knows that to be the case for sure or not. However, the point is not far-fetched. What comes into play then, does he care enough about the Sox to want to stay. If the only home town discount he is asking to take is to have some of the money deferred, and he refuses, well then we can assume he just doesn't want to be here. As disappointing as that may be, I am willing to say goodbye in order to spend the money for people who really want to be here. And before the pessimism overcomes some of our posters, there are people who will want to play here.

If Team A offers 70 Million for 5 years (to be paid 1 million a year for the next 70 years) and Team B offers 70 million for 5 years (to be paid over the next 8 years)

Are they the same offer? ;)

I'd rather take the 50% lump sum when I win the lotto :lol:

I could see paying Magglio a little bit over what he is worth -- which to me is 12-13 Mill tops since the only time he "led" the team to the postseason, he was playing second fiddle to Frank and had promptly choked therein -- just to keep him away from the Cubs.

The 5/70 offer with lots of deferred moneys is basically it - paying him just a little over what Sox can afford just because he is a fan favorite. He obvisouly wants more and there is nothing Sox can do. Nada.

Average speed. Above-average defense that will decline Sammy Sosa-style as he is getting older and more power-happy. All-Star bat, but no longer hitting at the HOF level - has he ever? Below average marketability. 4-5 year deal at 14-15 Mill a year? I don't think so.

Chao.

Without reading this entire thread, here's my 2 cents.

Sox management gave Mags a very fair, reasonable deal, he declined, let's move on. But if we stay in the race, keep mags until the end of the season, especially if he's playing like he is now. Let him play his stretch with us, then let him go.

No one knows that to be the case for sure or not. However, the point is not far-fetched. What comes into play then, does he care enough about the Sox to want to stay. If the only home town discount he is asking to take is to have some of the money deferred, and he refuses, well then we can assume he just doesn't want to be here. As disappointing as that may be, I am willing to say goodbye in order to spend the money for people who really want to be here. And before the pessimism overcomes some of our posters, there are people who will want to play here.

SEAL, I have no idea what the "real" story is. Just speculating and offering up suggestions based on past deals the Sox have made.. or not made. :ph34r:

Without reading this entire thread, here's my 2 cents.

Sox management gave Mags a very fair, reasonable deal, he declined, let's move on.  But if we stay in the race, keep mags until the end of the season, especially if he's playing like he is now.  Let him play his stretch with us, then let him go.

Agreed. I don't think there's any way in hell he gets traded at the deadline if we are still sitting in first place. Reinsdorf can only do so much, i wish everyone knew the circumstances surrounding this. Instead everyone is just going to say "they refused to pay him, this team sucks"

Agree. But unfortunately many of these morons are ST holders. Can't aford to lose many more of those.  :unsure:

True, if they are only ticket holders because of Maggs, then the Sox have more problems than some have thought. I for one, want whats best for the team. I want to keep Maggs, but it is up to him at this point IMO. I wouldn't offer more than that as it is a very fair offer, again IMO. If the Sox are upfront with the fans and utilize the money wisely, and it is not used as savings, I believe most fans will appreciate that. If we can use the money to attract a big name player, like a Beltran or Nomar (not saying that's a realistic option or not, just drawing a comparison) then I feel many people will at least see the Sox do want to win, especially if we do well this season. We'll see I guess.

SEAL, I have no idea what the "real" story is. Just speculating and offering up suggestions based on past deals the Sox have made.. or not made.  :ph34r:

No I know, I wasn't trying to be an attacker. :)

EDIT- As I said, it wasn't far-fetched, that's for sure. However, I want to believe that we are turning a corner, and that things (including deals) will be dealt with better than in the past. I have to believe that because they have me by the balls, I'm a fan for life. :lol:

True, if they are only ticket holders because of Maggs, then the Sox have more problems than some have thought. I for one, want whats best for the team. I want to keep Maggs, but it is up to him at this point IMO. I wouldn't offer more than that as it is a very fair offer, again IMO. If the Sox are upfront with the fans and utilize the money wisely, and it is not used as savings, I believe most fans will appreciate that. If we can use the money to attract a big name player, like a Beltran or Nomar (not saying that's a realistic option or not, just drawing a comparison) then I feel many people will at least see the Sox do want to win, especially if we do well this season. We'll see I guess.

I think sox fans should already appreciate what management did w/ mags. They offered him this deal, which is just about the right amount of money, maybe even a bit too much.

Am I the only one who realizes that even if we do resign maggs, it will only be a rental.

The deal, if there actually was a deal offered, which is debatable, is likely backloaded. Or deferred. And that's just smart on the White Sox part. Look at the Minor League system. Reed and Borchard @ AAA, Anderson & Sweeney @ high A, plus Nanita, Young, Bikowski, Valenzuela -- Granted not all will make it to the major league level, or contribute as much as maggs when they get there. But they should all be ariving in the next 1-4 years. A five year deal for maggs, overlaps all of thier projected arrivals. It makes sense to ship out the aging overpriced player at some point within the 5-year deal... The sox definitely want to have a deal that would allow them to pick up a small part of the price tag.

Am I the only one who realizes that even if we do resign maggs, it will only be a rental. 

The deal, if there actually was a deal offered, which is debatable, is likely backloaded.  Or deferred.  And that's just smart on the White Sox part.  Look at the Minor League system.  Reed and Borchard @ AAA, Anderson & Sweeney @ high A, plus Nanita, Young, Bikowski, Valenzuela -- Granted not all will make it to the major league level, or contribute as much as  maggs when they get there.  But they should all be ariving in the next 1-4 years.  A five year deal for maggs, overlaps all of thier projected arrivals.  It makes sense to ship out the aging overpriced player at some point within the 5-year deal... The sox definitely want to have a deal that would allow them to pick up a small part of the price tag.

True, but I think that it might have been you who also said that those guys will become first basemen and designated hitters as well. They're not necessarily relegated to OF duty.

I'll believe it when I hear it from Mags agent that "Maggs won't be in a Pale Hose uni next season." THis is all speculation sourcing from a publication in New York who is trying to create some hope for either the Mets/Yanks to possibly sign him next offseason...

The deal, if there actually was a deal offered, which is debatable, is likely backloaded.  Or deferred.  And that's just smart on the White Sox part.  Look at the Minor League system.  Reed and Borchard @ AAA, Anderson & Sweeney @ high A, plus Nanita, Young, Bikowski, Valenzuela -- Granted not all will make it to the major league level, or contribute as much as  maggs when they get there.  But they should all be ariving in the next 1-4 years.  A five year deal for maggs, overlaps all of thier projected arrivals.  It makes sense to ship out the aging overpriced player at some point within the 5-year deal... The sox definitely want to have a deal that would allow them to pick up a small part of the price tag.

I am not against giving Maggs the boot, mind you.

But let's clear something up right now: Nanita and Young will never sniff the majors. One of Anderson, Sweeney, Reed is gonna be a bust to end all busts, I haven't decided which one yet. Another one will be completely unspectacular, a mediocre ML'er. That leaves one. Maybe.

Lee will be gone. Maggs will be gone. CF-RF-LF will be for grabs. 3 positions for 1 player. Niice.

I'll believe it when I hear it from Mags agent that "Maggs won't be in a Pale Hose uni next season."  THis is all speculation sourcing from a publication in New York who is trying to create some hope for either the Mets/Yanks to possibly sign him next offseason...

It's been officially recognized by the Chicago media. It was played on channel 7 news.

One of Anderson, Sweeney, Reed is gonna be a bust to end all busts, I haven't decided which one yet. Another one will be completely unspectacular, a mediocre ML'er. That leaves one.  Maybe. 

You never know, though. All three of those guys have displayed flashes of brilliance, and then some.

SEAL, I have no idea what the "real" story is. Just speculating and offering up suggestions based on past deals the Sox have made.. or not made.  :ph34r:

I just read the whole thread and send you my compliments. We don't know the whole story from either the Sox or Magg's side, this thing will play out.

My other observations:

1. There is no more likely hood of a home town discount for a Venezuelan playing in the US, than for a US player in Japan, or the moon for that matter. I mean, what's the motivation? Closer to home? Shorter commute?

2. There is no more loyalty in baseball than there is in a Domino's. If you can't contribute comesurate with your wages you get fired. If you can get $9.75 an hour at Pizza Hut instead of $8.50 you go.

3. Reinsdorf, to my knowledge, has never lied to the media, but there are two sides to every story and he only tells his side. In this case Magg's side is keeping their mouths shut, probably because they know it wouldn't make any difference if they said anything anyway.

I just read the whole thread and send you my compliments.  We don't know the whole story from either the Sox or Magg's side, this thing will play out.

My other observations:

1.  There is no more likely hood of a home town discount for a Venezuelan playing in the US, than for a US player in Japan, or the moon for that matter.  I mean, what's the motivation?  Closer to home?  Shorter commute?

2.  There is no more loyalty in baseball than there is in a Domino's.  If you can't contribute comesurate with your wages you get fired.  If you can get $9.75 an hour at Pizza Hut instead of $8.50 you go.

3.  Reinsdorf, to my knowledge, has never lied to the media, but there are two sides to every story and he only tells his side.  In this case Magg's side is keeping their mouths shut, probably because they know it wouldn't make any difference if they said anything anyway.

Well it looks like the story was false, at least according to Maggs who was on the radio today and denied the story. Therefore, we all have speculated about this and run our minds and hearts crazy. Its all gossip.