Rick Helling quits Twins organization

Would the Twins release him if they thought the Sox would pick him up?

I think it's a weird decision from the Twinkies if they did that. Seth Greisinger's taken ova as their 5th starter, but he's struggled real bad in his last few starts. Helling's been injured, and I think a team like the White Sox or Colorado would giv him a shot.

Helling's numbers so far this year in the minors.

International League » Rochester Red Wings 5/27 to 6/1
W L SV ERA G IP H R ER BB KO HR
1 0 0 0.00 1 7 4 0 0 1 2 0

Eastern League » New Britain Rock Cats 4/8 to 5/27
W L SV ERA G IP H R ER BB KO HR
1 2 0 4.94 5 31 30 18 17 11 21 5

Less than impressive at AA, but he had one nice start recently at AAA.

Get Him!!! what do we have to lose? one in every 5-6 games?

Ok I just now read the article.

Manager Phil Roof said Helling returned to Rochester's dugout in the third inning of the second game, shook hands with pitching coach Bobby Cuellar and catcher Joe Mauer and said: ``I didn't sign a contract to pitch in the minor leagues.''

KW sign this guy!!!!

There's He'll only have to go 5 times before the all-star break if we sign him--

June 12th vs. ATL

June 19th @ MTL

June 24th vs. CLE

June 30th/July 1 @ Min -- I'm sure he will pitch the game of his life vs. the Twinkies after them not giving him a chance.

Buy this time it's July, and we all know KW can make a deal by then. He then goes to the pen, and politte can be shown the door -- Helling was nasty out of the pen last year.

If need be, he can make one more start before the ASB vs. ANA or SEA--

There are then 17 days without a day off after the ASB. So if he's doing well, and we haven't gotten anyone else before the deadline, he would get 3 more starts(Tex and DETx2), before the dealing really gets going.

This sounds to me like the perfect stop-gap guy until something else gets worked out... GET IT DONE KW.

If we can get him for cheap,  i'm all for it.

Let's make sure JR makes money BEFORE helping the team. Who gives a s*** about his salary if it means winning a division? Would you rather lose the division, but have the Sox make more money? We're better than you, we finished second with a $65 million payroll and it took you $80 million to beat us :headbang :headbang

:headshake

It scares me that the whole league knows we are looking for a fifth starter, I'll bet the offers right now are atrocious.

That's why this deal makes sense, it won't cost us anything. I don't want to trade some good prospects for a guy like Kris Benson, to discover he sucks after a few starts here. ;)

Just a noteworthy tidbit that just kind of came to me(when I actually got down to thinking about it and seeing YAS's post)...

The Twins won't flat out release him, and other teams have had interest in him. By teams, I assume more then 1, and I would assume that there is a team that is interested in him that is not in the AL Central. In other words, we probably won't get him unless the market for him completely dies and the Twins are forced to release him.

Just a noteworthy tidbit that just kind of came to me(when I actually got down to thinking about it and seeing YAS's post)...

The Twins won't flat out release him, and other teams have had interest in him.  By teams, I assume more then 1, and I would assume that there is a team that is interested in him that is not in the AL Central.  In other words, we probably won't get him unless the market for him completely dies and the Twins are forced to release him.

I was going to ask Rex about the situation, considerign he can't really "quit" he is under contract. I would assume the Twins wouldn't outright release him. --

http://www.startribune.com/stories/507/4810929.html -- Scroll down.

Pitcher Rick Helling had an opportunity three weeks ago to go to the Marlins as a relief pitcher, to serve the same position he did during Florida's World Series championship run last season. However, the veteran righthanded pitcher, who pitched a seven-inning shutout at Class AAA Rochester before leaving the Twins organization, turned down the opportunity.

The Texas Rangers are expected to sign former Twins pitcher Rick Helling to a minor league contract today, reuniting him with the team for which he won 20 games in 1998. Helling, the Rangers' first-round draft pick in 1992, was expected to be the Twins' fifth starter this season until he fractured a shin when hit by a line drive in spring training March 20.

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/s.../8843782.htm?1c -- Scroll down