The Spelling Bumblebee

SuperSteve

Seriously, one of the words was "scheherazadian." What the f*** is that? Guess who's never going to be cool...  :headshake :lol:

My assumption is that scheherazadian would mean like Scheherazad in nature, ala' Orwellian (disutopian future scenario), Capraesque ("Wonderful Life"/"Mr. Smith goes to Washington" kind of little-guy-against-the-world). Scheherazade was the storytelling sultan's wife in Arabian Nights, so a scheherazadian novel, for example, would be one that weaves story after story, parable after parable, etc., to further the plot and characters.

Jesus, with his 1001 parables, could be said to have been scheherazadian I would venture.

I see that the winning word was "autocthonous," which I got a huge kick out of (as much as a word can give you) because it is a great limnological term central to a classroom lecture I just gave this spring. It reers to matter (typically organic) thaat originates from within a given ecological system rather than being transported into it - that term, of course, is "allochthonous."

We biologists love our jargon. :D

My assumption is that scheherazadian would mean like Scheherazad in nature, ala' Orwellian (disutopian future scenario), Capraesque ("Wonderful Life"/"Mr. Smith goes to Washington" kind of little-guy-against-the-world).  Scheherazade was the storytelling sultan's wife in Arabian Nights, so a scheherazadian novel, for example, would be one that weaves story after story, parable after parable, etc., to further the plot and characters.

Jesus, with his 1001 parables, could be said to have been scheherazadian I would venture.

I see that the winning word was "autocthonous," which I got a huge kick out of (as much as a word can give you) because it is a great limnological term central to a classroom lecture I just gave this spring.  It reers to matter (typically organic) thaat originates from within a given ecological system rather than being transported into it - that term, of course, is "allochthonous."

We biologists love our jargon.  :D

:o :rolleyes:

My assumption is that scheherazadian would mean like Scheherazad in nature, ala' Orwellian (disutopian future scenario), Capraesque ("Wonderful Life"/"Mr. Smith goes to Washington" kind of little-guy-against-the-world).  Scheherazade was the storytelling sultan's wife in Arabian Nights, so a scheherazadian novel, for example, would be one that weaves story after story, parable after parable, etc., to further the plot and characters.

I see that the winning word was "autocthonous," which I got a huge kick out of (as much as a word can give you) because it is a great limnological term central to a classroom lecture I just gave this spring.  It reers to matter (typically organic) thaat originates from within a given ecological system rather than being transported into it - that term, of course, is "allochthonous."

We biologists love our jargon.  :D

I think Steve says you're not cool. :D

Damn it Tex, ya beat me to it! :lol:

It was too damn easy. I was going to head over to the NASCAR v. Dodgeball thread and see who wrote it was a sport because ESPN covered it. But that is just to much work :D