Freddy Garcia Article

DBAHO

From the Seattle Times,

As the Mariners tinker with their roster and ponder remedies in the midst of this dismal season, it is increasingly clear that one decision — the future of Freddy Garcia—looms paramount.

The popular assumption is that Garcia might as well pack his bags now, because he is as good as gone prior to the July 31 trading deadline.

According to this line of thinking—and it's a valid one, following industry protocol—he is their most marketable player, an ace pitcher in a league that treasures them, especially in a pennant race.

But those convinced it's a slam dunk the Mariners can parlay Garcia, a pending free agent, into a treasure trove of young prospects on the verge of stardom, might have a rude awakening. In recent days, I canvassed several general managers on Garcia's trade value, promising anonymity in exchange for frank assessments.

The consensus of the group, which included GMs from both leagues, is that it is exceedingly difficult to get fair market value for a "rent-a-player," regardless of talent level.

One GM predicted the White Sox as the likeliest trade partner, suggesting some combination of young pitcher Jon Rauch and outfielders Aaron Rowand and Joe Borchard, a former Stanford QB, as possible returns.

"They'll be able to move him," added a GM, "but odds are against getting fair value. Still, anything is better than nothing."

Does Seattle pick up half of the remaining money?

I am glad Reed is not part of this trade. I'd rather give them Anderson than Borchard. Rowand has really dissappointed me in Oakland, so no big loss there.

Rauch? He was a shadow of his 2000 (or even 2002) self on Saturday. Wouldn't get AA hitters out. Physical problems AND a head-case? Not a combo. Adios.

Does Seattle pick up half of the remaining money?   

I am glad Reed is not part of this trade.    I'd rather give them Anderson than Borchard.    Rowand has really dissappointed me in Oakland, so no big loss there.

Rauch? He was a shadow of his 2000 (or even 2002) self on Saturday.    Wouldn't get AA hitters out. Physical problems AND a head-case? Not a combo.  Adios.

Rauch sucks.

Rowand Sucks.

2 for 1 straight up.

They don't need 2 OF's...

Does Borchard really need to be apart of this deal? I mean, for (at the time being) a rent-a-player like Freddy Garcia? I mean, Borchard seems like he is just now getting his stuff together. I'd really like to see him blossom, as a White Sox, into the player we all thought he could be.

Deal works for me. I woudln't like losing Borchard, but the Sox have Reed, Anderson and Sweeney so it can be done.

Plus I don't mind losing Rauch and as good of a guy as Rowand is (Borchard is a great guy too) it means that Willie plays everyday and kind of opens up a spot for Jeremy Reed.

I'd like to see him sign an extension if he comes here though.

4 years at $40 million, I'm not willin to pay that much to Freddy unless he can show he can CONSISTENTLY pitch well under Ozzie.

There's no way Freddie gets $10 million a year in this market.  We'd be crazy to sign him for that much cash.  He'd be our 3rd or 4th best pitcher at best.

Maybe he would. Garcia is a decent pitcher, but he sure doesn't qualify as an ace. And, if it takes Borchard to make this deal, I say "No thanks."

If I'm the Sox, I take Garcia for the season. If he pitches great then the Sox likely make the playoffs and maybe make a splash. Then they can talk with Freddy and decide whether they can work out a deal. If not the Sox should have a little better of a financial situation and can go find a replacement (in what should be a better pitching market then last year) and go from there.

They would then offer Freddy arb (this is assuming he does well) because worse case you get him for a yr at a little more then he makes this year and its not a long term deal. Best case you get your 2 picks of compensation and can use it to get back what you gave up, plus you got to use Garcia for the season and will hopefully gain financial flexibility from it.

Those are the good scenarios, of course he could come and suck, but Garcia is a good pitcher with good stuff, he should be good in Chicago.