Freddy Garcia Article

DBAHO

For a guy who has had 2 good seasons within the past 4(counting 2004), $8 mill is too much. Konerko got $8 mill a year for having 4 straight good years(99-02).

He's worth, at most, $6-7 mill, let alone the $10 he's apparently looking for.

Sun - times Article, doesn't look like we'll sign Freddy long term;

SEATTLE -- Mariners pitcher Freddy Garcia continues to be rumored as a candidate to join the Sox in the coming weeks via trade, and there is good reason.

Not only are the Sox desperate for somebody to hold down the No. 5 spot in the rotation, Garcia and Sox manager Ozzie Guillen both hail from Venezuela and are close friends.

''That's the first time I feel like I had one of my kids play against me,'' Guillen said about Friday's game when the Sox got the best of Garcia. ''I feel special for him but thank God we beat him.''

As for the talk the Sox could be close to acquiring his friend, Guillen wouldn't touch that.

''That's rumors. I can't say anything about it because I might get in trouble [with tampering rules],'' said Guillen, who had a long discussion with Garcia behind the batting cage before Saturday's game. ''But I don't think the White Sox are the only ones that want Freddy. The Seattle Mariners want Freddy and every team in baseball would like to have him.''

With the Mariners desperate for offense, Aaron Rowand has emerged as the likely candidate to be traded while the Sox likely would include right-hander Jon Rauch in the deal. With upcoming free agent Magglio Ordonez rumored to be headed elsewhere after this season, Class AAA outfielders Joe Borchard and Jeremy Reed are considered untouchable and are expected to remain in the organization.

The Sox' goal is for the Mariners to pick up all, or at least most, of what remains on Garcia's $6.875 million contract this season.

A deal the Mariners reportedly have on hold with the New York Yankees is being delayed because the Mariners want offense for reliever Mike Myers and the Yankees are offering pitcher Jose Contreras.

Like Carl Everett and Roberto Alomar last season, Garcia is expected to merely be a player for hire for the remainder of the season and sign elsewhere for next year, although the Guillen-Garcia relationship could help the Sox in long-term negotiations.

''We're so close that wherever you see me in Venezuela, you will see Freddy Garcia somewhere,'' Guillen said.