Closer dilemma

The Beast

I just was thinking about this the whole day while I was watching baseball, flipping between the Cubs game and ESPN highlights.

What I was thinking about was the closer situation in all teams...and so I found that we aren't the only ones without a closer, at least 26 other teams are looking for a guy.

Billy Koch doesn't suck. A guy cannot go from a year in which he had about 44 saves to sucking it up last year and nearly finding his stuff with ONLY 2 blown saves this year.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Takatsu in there once something happens again, but again, until that time, how much more leniance should we give Billy Koch?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know where you get this idea that 26 other teams are looking for closers. Francisco Cordero in Texas, Mariano Rivera in New York, Keith Foulke in Boston, Eddie Guardado in Seattle, Joe Nathan in Minnesota...there's 5 just in the AL, and I haven't even mentioned Gagne, Graves, Mesa, Wagner(though he's DL'ing right now), Benetiz, Looper, Smoltz, Hoffman, Rhodes, Kolb, Dotel, and Baez(though I have now).

Here's the main question...of all the teams in contention or that believe they still can contend(meaning you take out the Detroits, KC's, Montreal's, Arizona's), how many have a solid closer? From what I can tell, off the top of my head, there are about two teams who believe they can contend and are in contention that still have two s***ty closers closing, and, coincidentally, both teams are in Chicago.

Shingo should close for us, just like Hawkins should close for the Cubs.

I don't know where you get this idea that 26 other teams are looking for closers. Francisco Cordero in Texas, Mariano Rivera in New York, Keith Foulke in Boston, Eddie Guardado in Seattle, Joe Nathan in Minnesota...there's 5 just in the AL, and I haven't even mentioned Gagne, Graves, Mesa, Wagner(though he's DL'ing right now), Benetiz, Looper, Smoltz, Hoffman, Rhodes, Kolb, Dotel, and Baez(though I have now).

Exactly right. You can't win without a closer. You never know, Koch might be good as the set-up man.

:fthecubs

Smoltz : 7 Saves 1 Blown

Dotel : 8 Saves 2 Blown

Hawkins : 3 Saves 2 Blown

Guardado : 9 Saves 3 Blown

Koch : 7 Saves 2 Blown

Borowski : 9 Saves 2 Blown

What is it you were saying again?!

Perhaps some of us need to start looking at these super-closers super-statistics and realize they aren't much better than the guys we're using in Chicago.

:bang

In case you don't realize it yet...not everyone can have Gagne.

:stick

k-thanx for listening.

-y2

Just wondering - what do you guys think of Braden Looper, the Mets current closer?  I've never really seen him pitch, I was just throwing a name out there.  Maybe Ooogie Urbina too?

Urbina has some good stuff, he's just wanting too much money for our standards...Detroit won't do Urbina for Koch straight up but hey, its worth a try :lol: ...hell no i wouldn't do that

Looper...I don't know, how has he done this year?

Billy Koch doesn't suck. A guy cannot go from a year in which he had about 44 saves to sucking it up last year and nearly finding his stuff with ONLY 2 blown saves this year.

He has ONLY 8 saves. 2 blown and 8 converted is not a great ratio. And Uribe saves his ass on one of them...

Koch sucks, face it.

What is it you were saying again?!

Perhaps some of us need to start looking at these super-closers super-statistics and realize they aren't much better than the guys we're using in Chicago.

:bang

In case you don't realize it yet...not everyone can have Gagne.

:stick

k-thanx for listening. 

-y2

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy Thank you for posting that. I was just going to post guardado's saves, it seems everyone is in love with the guy so much but he has more blown saves then koch and please don't bring up the era's I know eddie's is better but who cares.

The only guy off that list that is a legit closer is Smoltz. The others you list aren't 'super' by any means. Dotel is in his first year in the ninth inning, Hawkins isn't even a closer, and Guardado has never really been considered a top tier closer by anyone except people in the AL Central.

Urbina has some good stuff, he's just wanting too much money for our standards...Detroit won't do Urbina for Koch straight up but hey, its worth a try :lol: ...hell no i wouldn't do that

Looper...I don't know, how has he done this year?

Well - Many sources have indicated that JR has given Kenny the OK to up the payroll if a trade came to pass.

BTW - Damn, Braden Looper has been great so far this year, or so it seems, just looking at the stats:

In 26 Games (About 30 IP), a 1.20 ERA, 11 Saves in 12 opportunities, 22 Strikouts, with a WHIP of 1.07.

The question is, what's his contract like, and what would it take to pry him from the Mets?

He has ONLY 8 saves. 2 blown and 8 converted is not a great ratio. And Uribe saves his ass on one of them...

Koch sucks, face it.

Koch doesnt suck...

your opinion doesnt make that true

7 saves in 9 chances... that is not a bad ratio.. :nono

The only guy off that list that is a legit closer is Smoltz. The others you list aren't 'super' by any means. Dotel is in his first year in the ninth inning, Hawkins isn't even a closer, and Guardado has never really been considered a top tier closer by anyone except people in the AL Central.

That's just my point, not everyone has a super closer...someone above me listed a hundred "closers" who are no better than who we currently have, claiming most teams have great closers.

There are not many Wagners, or Gagnes in the league...I don't have to look up their stats...I was merely pointing out that a LOT of teams are in the same boat as us...

-y2

Koch doesnt suck...

your opinion doesnt make that true

7 saves in 9 chances... that is not a bad ratio..  :nono

His ERA is 4.43...that's poor for any reliever that isn't a long man. His whip is a laughable 1.38, and he's given up a run 7 out of his 21 appearances. If you're a closer and you give up a run 33% of the time you're out there, you have no reason to be closing.

That's just my point, not everyone has a super closer...someone above me listed a hundred "closers" who are no better than who we currently have, claiming most teams have great closers.

There are not many Wagners, or Gagnes in the league...I don't have to look up their stats...I was merely pointing out that a LOT of teams are in the same boat as us...

-y2

The numbers go beyond just blown saves. Sure, you're going to tell me all that matters is the number of converted saves is all that matters...but what kind of a toll does sweating out every ninth inning take on your team?

I remember people b****ing about Keith Foulke, now people defend this clown Koch? Please. I'd give anything to reverse that trade...even give Big Mo back.

Koch sucks, face it.

He can't suck that bad if he puts up numbers like that, its got to be his arm...because he blew his arm out can't mean he doesn't know how to pitch is I'm thinking of what i want to say.

His ERA is 4.43...that's poor for any reliever that isn't a long man. His whip is a laughable 1.38, and he's given up a run 7 out of his 21 appearances. If you're a closer and you give up a run 33% of the time you're out there, you have no reason to be closing.

But if you get the save, your ERA can be 9.00, and that doesn't matter. His job is to close games, high era or low era--hell or high water--no matter how he finds a way to get it done, his job is to get it done...period. Granted, he did not get it done two times now...but as I've clearly pointed out, aside from the VERY few teams that have closers like Wagner or Gagne, we are not much different from most teams out there.

In other words...deal with it.

-y2

He can't suck that bad if he puts up numbers like that, its got to be his arm...because he blew his arm out can't mean he doesn't know how to pitch is I'm thinking of what i want to say.

He doesn't know how to pitch. He never has. He's just now learning how to pitch. He depended on a 100 MPH heater, and now that he doesn't have it, he has to pitch how the majority of pitchers need to pitch. ...With their head.

The numbers go beyond just blown saves. Sure, you're going to tell me all that matters is the number of converted saves is all that matters...but what kind of a toll does sweating out every ninth inning take on your team?

I remember people b****ing about Keith Foulke, now people defend this clown Koch? Please. I'd give anything to reverse that trade...even give Big Mo back.

Most of the famous closers throughout the history of baseball have done exactly that...made the fans and teams sweat it out.

Look at Bobby Thigpen...no different.

-y2

Most of the famous closers throughout the history of baseball have done exactly that...made the fans and teams sweat it out.

Look at Bobby Thigpen...no different.

-y2

Are you suggesting Billy Koch is one of the all-time greats?

No, he's showing how major league closers make you sweat.

Example: Jose Mesa today at Wrigley and Borowski as well...

It was a joke pointing out how moot his argument was. Billy Koch is a loser compared to the great closers...not to mention closers back then used to have a pair of testicles and could pitch more than one inning.

beastly: Are you related to anthony or just plain stupid? I guess I was redundant there, but here is where the great Koch lies compared to other closers in ERA (19 out of of 25)

Benitez 0.30

Frasor 0.76

Foulke 0.95

Guadardo 1.04

Joe Nathan 1.14

Wagner 1.20

Mesa 1.21

Rivera 1.21

Looper 1.24

Hoffman 1.89

Gagne 1.93

Francisco Coredro 2.08

John Smoltz 2.53

Baez 2.74

Graves 2.81

Dotel 3.12

Isringhausen 4.21

Rhodes 4.43

Botch 4.43

Troy Percival 5.09

Urbina 5.09

Matt Herges 5.40

Biddle 6.50

Chacon 6.75

Joe Borowski 7.40

Why??

So we have NO CLOSER because Foulke sure as hell wouldnt still be here..

No Foulke, no Cotts, No Koch, No Olivo

If you would give anything to have that trade re done then you must have something wrong with you :huh

beastly: Are you related to anthony or just plain stupid? I guess I was redundant there, but here is where the great Koch lies compared to other closers in ERA (19 out of of 25)

Benitez 0.30

Frasor 0.76

Foulke 0.95

Guadardo 1.04

Joe Nathan 1.14

Wagner 1.20

Mesa 1.21

Rivera 1.21

Looper 1.24

Hoffman 1.89

Gagne 1.93

Francisco Coredro 2.08