Closer dilemma

The Beast

You can be a fan but the fact remains

no matter how much you b**** about Koch JR isnt gonna look at this board and say

"Oh man, look these kids who know nothing about running a baseball team think Koch needs to be gone.. Better do what they say"

its not happening

We watch the same games KW does.

If that doesn't work for you, the numbers don't lie.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Games 8, 25, 27 and 52 are classic Koch.

This moron has only had 4 games without a walk, hit or wild pitch, and 3 out of those were in mop up duty where we were easily winning or losing (Games10, 23, 39 50) .... see in grren font below

Every other game he has given up hit/s and/or walk/s and/or wild pitch/es and/or HR/s and/or ER/s (see the red )

I challenge you Koch (cock) sucker anthony to defend your super hero after these stats also known as FACTS

Game 1 – KC (4/5) Sox lose 7-9 – Koch enters 9th inning. Santiago run scoring double, strikes out Guiel. (Marte blows game with HR)

0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 K)

Game 2 – KC (4/7) – Koch enters 9th inning, save #1. Sox win 4-3.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER

Game 5 – NY (4/10) Sox win 7-3.

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R 0 ER

Game 7 – KC (4/13) Sox win 12-5

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K, 1 WP)

Game 8 – KC (4/14) Sox win 10-9. Koch enters top of 9th with an 8-5 lead, gives up 4 runs, but the Sox come back to win in the bottom of the 9th.

0.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER (2 HR, 1 BB)

Game 10 – TB (4/16) Sox lose 0-3.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K)

Game 13 – NY (4/20) Sox lose 8-11

1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K)

Game 16 – TB (4/23) Sox win 3-2

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER

Game 19 – CLE (4/27) Sox lose 7-11.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP)

Game 21 – TOR (4/29) Sox win 6-4. Koch save #2

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K, 1 HBP)

Game 23 – TOR (5/1) Game 2 of DH. Sox lose 6-10

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1K)

Game 24 – TOR (5/2) Sox win 3-2. Koch save #3

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K)

Game 25 – BAL (5/3) Sox win 5-4. Koch save # 4. Enters 9th with a 5-2 lead, walks first hitter, strikes out next two, then walks the next two to load the bases and gives up a 2 run single. Next hitter grounds out.

1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER (3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP)

Game 27 – BAL (5/5) Sox win 6-5. Koch save #5. Koch enters 9th with 6-4 lead, walk-single–walk. Bases loaded, no outs. Sac fly to center – one run. Ground out, ground out.

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (2 BB)

Game 34 - BAL (5/13) Game 2 of DH Sox win 6-5. Koch save #6.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 BB, 1 K)

Game 38 – CLE (5/17) Sox lose 2-7.

1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1K)

Game 39 – CLE (5/18) Koch save #& Sox win 4-2

1 IP 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (3K)

Game 44 – MIN (5/23) Sox win 17-7

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 HR, 1 K)

Game 47 – TEX (5/27) Sox win 9-0

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2K)

Game 50 – ANA (5/30) Sox win 11-2

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K)

Game 52 – OAK (6/2) Sox lose 2-3. Koch enters 9th with 2-1 lead. Single – wild pitch – single gives up game tying run. Adkins gives up HR in 9th.

1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 BB, 1 WP)

That does not mean we have to like him

And trust me, he blows two more in the next 5 games and he will be yanked as the closer

Guaranteed

I hope we trade for some relief pitching

Hope is NOT an option in business and in life.

Beast, I was Koch back allll last season, and most of this season, but im done with the guy. Give him some time???? Did you watch last season, or were you banned from watching the games to???? Koch is GARBAGE. He couldnt close last year, and has shown he cant close this year.

Again, what will you do with him and his 6.5 mil salary? Nothing. You know why? Because we have to deal with him for the rest of the year.

as a favor i ask one of our techno wizards to supply us with the followings stats:

for all closers in MLB this season:

total saves, toal blown saves, total appearances as closer, total wins, total losses

then we can see where people rank in actuality

someone smarter than me can find this information I am sure

I just was thinking about this the whole day while I was watching baseball, flipping between the Cubs game and ESPN highlights.

What I was thinking about was the closer situation in all teams...and so I found that we aren't the only ones without a closer, at least 26 other teams are looking for a guy.

Billy Koch doesn't suck. A guy cannot go from a year in which he had about 44 saves to sucking it up last year and nearly finding his stuff with ONLY 2 blown saves this year.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Takatsu in there once something happens again, but again, until that time, how much more leniance should we give Billy Koch?

Hmmm, the recycled idea of takatsu being the closer, is this like when a band plays the cover songs of another band. Wasn't this idea brought up earlier in the week? You know where I stand. You know what I predicted.

Just wondering - what do you guys think of Braden Looper, the Mets current closer?  I've never really seen him pitch, I was just throwing a name out there.  Maybe Ooogie Urbina too?

Guess who wants no part of Braden Looper? Me.

Just an FYI...I believe someone mentioned how he would rather have Foulke instead of Koch, Cotts, and Olivo...but we did not get Olivo for Foulke.

Olivo was traded for after the 2000 or 2001 season (IIRC) for Chad Bradford.

And, as has been pointed out, Koch is not good. Quite frankly, 7 for 9 in SVOPs is not that good...that translates to (very) roughly 35 for 45 in SVOPs or so. That's f***ing awful. But that's beyond the point. I don't mind if my closer is 7 of 9...for all I care, I don't mind if he is 6 for 9 at one point. If they are not hitting the s*** out of the ball against him, he is doing fine. The problem with this is that they ARE hitting the s*** out of the ball against Koch - almost every time out. Something has to be done about that.

Use Shingo or go get someone else. I'm sick and tired of seeing Koch's stupidass goatee come into a game in the 9th and then f***ing blow it(or if he doesn't blow it, he loads the bases and then gets a break). If this guy were closing for New York or Boston, he would be getting castrated in the media. Then again, he wouldn't be closing for New York or Boston...he'd be a middle reliever at the very most.

Just an FYI...I believe someone mentioned how he would rather have Foulke instead of Koch, Cotts, and Olivo...but we did not get Olivo for Foulke.

And, as has been pointed out, Koch is not good.  Quite frankly, 7 for 9 in SVOPs is not that good...that translates to (very) roughly 35 for 45 in SVOPs or so.  That's f***ing awful.  But that's beyond the point.  I don't mind if my closer is 7 of 9...for all I care, I don't mind if he is 6 for 9 at one point.  If they are not hitting the s*** out of the ball against him, he is doing fine.  The problem with this is that they ARE hitting the s*** out of the ball against Koch - almost every time out.  Something has to be done about that.

Use Shingo or go get someone else.  I'm sick and tired of seeing Koch's stupidass goatee come into a game in the 9th and then f***ing blow it(or if he doesn't blow it, he loads the bases and then gets a break).  If this guy were closing for New York or Boston, he would be getting castrated in the media.  Then again, he wouldn't be closing for New York or Boston...he'd be a middle reliever at the very most.

It was 2001 if I remember right. Also, I think we should give Takatsu a shot to close.

John Smoltz could be an option, he's said he could waive his no trade clause, he's makin $11 mill this season though, which will be a big problem.  ;)

A few things. He has said he wants to start again. You mentioned his salary. The Braves are 3 1/2 games out in the NL East. I doubt they are going to trade one of their best players for what would probably be prospects. They already have three outfielders, and I doubt they're going to give Carlos a shot at 1B, or move Chipper back to 3B. They have a poor bullpen too.

I say Takatsu.

here's my thoughts on the closer situation. can we win the division with koch as the closer? probably. does anyone feel comfortable with koch as the closer going into the playoffs against a boston or yankees or angels? i don't. but does anyone currently in the bullpen? not to me. shingo has been great but closing is a different animal than set up or middle relief.

face it, the sox have never paid for an elite closer. if they did foulke would still be here. unfortionately we are probably gonna have to make due with what we got. hopefully someone whether it be koch or shingo or even pollitte gets hot at the end of the year and is able to close games in the playoffs.

Billy Koch doesn't suck. A guy cannot go from a year in which he had about 44 saves to sucking it up last year and nearly finding his stuff with ONLY 2 blown saves this year.

I wouldn't be suprised to see Takatsu in there once something happens again, but again, until that time, how much more leniance should we give Billy Koch?

No leniance whatsoever. He has his best outings when he'd fattening up with a big lead. When the heat is on in the late innings of a close game he folds up like a cheap card table.

Trade him away for whatever we can get.

And, as has been pointed out, Koch is not good.  Quite frankly, 7 for 9 in SVOPs is not that good...that translates to (very) roughly 35 for 45 in SVOPs or so.  That's f***ing awful.  But that's beyond the point.  I don't mind if my closer is 7 of 9...for all I care, I don't mind if he is 6 for 9 at one point.  If they are not hitting the s*** out of the ball against him, he is doing fine.  The problem with this is that they ARE hitting the s*** out of the ball against Koch - almost every time out.  Something has to be done about that.

Use Shingo or go get someone else.  I'm sick and tired of seeing Koch's stupidass goatee come into a game in the 9th and then f***ing blow it(or if he doesn't blow it, he loads the bases and then gets a break).  If this guy were closing for New York or Boston, he would be getting castrated in the media.  Then again, he wouldn't be closing for New York or Boston...he'd be a middle reliever at the very most.

:notworthy

No leniance whatsoever.  He has his best outings when he'd fattening up with a big lead.  When the heat is on in the late innings of a close game he folds up like a cheap card table. 

Trade him away for whatever we can get.

As far as I'm concerned, Billy Koch will not go any where until July 31st, or at least til the waiver deadline.

He will be in our uniform until the end of the season, IMO, so lets live with it.

I find it amusing that most of the same people who are shredding Koch also wanted us to go out and Urbina this off season. Yet, Uggie's numbers (numbers don't lie, remember?) are worse than Koch's. As of right this minute, Koch has succeeded on 80% of his save opportunities, which is pretty much the standard for acceptability throughout baseball for a closer.

Bottom line is that this year, Koch hasn't been lights out but he has done a reasonably good job. I know he makes people nervous with baserunners allowed and such, but that has always been a thing with Koch and it always will be, I believe. Just as long as we keep walking off the field shaking hands, I'm satisfied.

Here is the update after another heart attack tonight....the asshole again could not get a 1,2,3 and anyone who saw the game saw how the line drive to Crede was great D play ....one inch to the left or right and we would be talking of another blown save. No broken bat hits today....hard liners by everyone, except the pop up to end the game

Thank Crede and Val for saving your life moron

========================

Games 8, 25, 27 and 52 are classic Koch.

This moron has only had 4 games without a walk, hit or wild pitch, and 3 out of those were in mop up duty where we were easily winning or losing (Games10, 23, 39 50) .... see in grren font below

Every other game he has given up hit/s and/or walk/s and/or wild pitch/es and/or HR/s and/or ER/s (see the red )

I challenge you Koch (cock) sucker anthony to defend your super hero after these stats also known as FACTS

Game 1 – KC (4/5) Sox lose 7-9 – Koch enters 9th inning. Santiago run scoring double, strikes out Guiel. (Marte blows game with HR)

0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 K)

Game 2 – KC (4/7) – Koch enters 9th inning, save #1. Sox win 4-3.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER

Game 5 – NY (4/10) Sox win 7-3.

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R 0 ER

Game 7 – KC (4/13) Sox win 12-5

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K, 1 WP)

Game 8 – KC (4/14) Sox win 10-9. Koch enters top of 9th with an 8-5 lead, gives up 4 runs, but the Sox come back to win in the bottom of the 9th.

0.2 IP, 4 H, 4 R, 4 ER (2 HR, 1 BB)

Game 10 – TB (4/16) Sox lose 0-3.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K)

Game 13 – NY (4/20) Sox lose 8-11

1.1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K)

Game 16 – TB (4/23) Sox win 3-2

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER

Game 19 – CLE (4/27) Sox lose 7-11.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 BB, 2 K, 1 HBP, 1 WP)

Game 21 – TOR (4/29) Sox win 6-4. Koch save #2

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 K, 1 HBP)

Game 23 – TOR (5/1) Game 2 of DH. Sox lose 6-10

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1K)

Game 24 – TOR (5/2) Sox win 3-2. Koch save #3

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K)

Game 25 – BAL (5/3) Sox win 5-4. Koch save # 4. Enters 9th with a 5-2 lead, walks first hitter, strikes out next two, then walks the next two to load the bases and gives up a 2 run single. Next hitter grounds out.

1 IP, 1 H, 2 R, 2 ER (3 BB, 2 K, 1 WP)

Game 27 – BAL (5/5) Sox win 6-5. Koch save #5. Koch enters 9th with 6-4 lead, walk-single–walk. Bases loaded, no outs. Sac fly to center – one run. Ground out, ground out.

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (2 BB)

Game 34 - BAL (5/13) Game 2 of DH Sox win 6-5. Koch save #6.

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1 BB, 1 K)

Game 38 – CLE (5/17) Sox lose 2-7.

1 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER (1K)

Game 39 – CLE (5/18) Koch save #& Sox win 4-2

1 IP 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (3K)

Game 44 – MIN (5/23) Sox win 17-7

1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 HR, 1 K)

Game 47 – TEX (5/27) Sox win 9-0

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2K)

Game 50 – ANA (5/30) Sox win 11-2

1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER (2 K)

Game 52 – OAK (6/2) Sox lose 2-3. Koch enters 9th with 2-1 lead. Single – wild pitch – single gives up game tying run. Adkins gives up HR in 9th.

1 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER (1 BB, 1 WP)

Game 53 - SEA (6/4) Sox win 4-2. Koch enters 9th with 4-2 ead. Gives up lead off single on a 0-2 count to Edgar M. Next batter hits a scorcher but great D by Crede saves Koch's sorry ass again. Sox win with runner on 3rd and tying run at the plate.

1 IP, 1 H, 0 R (0 K)

as a favor i ask one of our techno wizards to supply us with the followings stats:

for all closers in MLB this season:

total saves, toal blown saves, total appearances as closer, total wins, total losses

then we can see where people rank in actuality

someone smarter than me can find this information I am sure

Here's ESPN's sortable stats. All you have to do is click the stat you want. There's 5 different pages for pitching stats. I already have it sorted for blown saves.

Surprising Damaso is tied for the ML lead in Blown saves, Not Koch. :ph34r: Although I think Riske may have blown one in set-up duty today.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/stats/pitchi...&hand=a&pos=all