*Official Draft Thread*

Palehosefan

hmm, BA says our 7th round pick was Tim Murphey, so I'm confused a little, was Lemon a pick?

Anyways, here's info on Murphey.

• Lanky LHP Tim Murphey has an excellent pitcher's frame at 6-foot-3, 165 pounds, and he's wiry strong. His loose arm helps him blow hitters away with an 89-92 mph fastball that has touched 94. He's not a strong student and is considered signable, though he's raw and needs work on his secondary stuff.

• Replies 405
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While listening to the radio show the guy said that the Tigers and White Sox had impressed him with some picks and were aggressive in going after young pitching. The Sox really are stacking up the need positions. Whether it's intentional or not I don't know.

Round 9 Pick:

RYAN MCCARTHY U CALIFORNIA 3B R/R 6'3" 200

COMMENT: TALL, LEAN, WELL PROPORTIONED BODY. BROAD SHOULDERS, BACK. NARROW WAIST. LONG ARMS, LEGS. LONG, LOOSE MUSCLES. ROOM TO CARRY MORE WEIGHT. UPRIGHT, OPEN STANCE. HANDS AT RIGHT SHOULDER. GOOD HITTING MECHANICS. STRENGTH TO GENERATE GOOD BAT SPEED. QUICK, LOOSE WRISTS. PROJECTABLE AVG MAJOR LEAGUE PWR. SMOOTH, FLUID ACTIONS. SOFT, SURE HANDS. ANTICIPATES WELL AT SS. GOOD INSTINCTS. SOLID SS AT COLLEGE LEVEL.

Browsing through the draft selections on MLB.com I came upon an interesting entry:

96th pick (For the Chicago Cubs): MARK REED  HS C L/R 5'11" 175 1986-04-13  HS

COMMENT: EVENLY PROPORTIONED, ATHLETIC FRAME. ROUNDED SHOULDERS, GOOD UPPER BODY STRENGTH. STRONG DEFINED ARMS & FOREARMS . TRIM WAIST. STRONG CONDITIONED LEGS. SIMILAR TO MIKE LIEBERTHAL. OPEN STANCE. AGGRESSIVE APPROACH, PURE HITTER. VERY QUICK BAT, CONSISTENT HARD CONTACT TO ALL FIELDS. LEVEL, LINE DRIVE STROKE W/ GOOD LEVERAGE & EXTENTION GAP PWR. RECEIVES WELL, FAIR HANDS COMPETITIVE INSTINCTS, BASEBALL SMARTS. LEADERSHIP QUALITIES. OLDER BROTHER, JEREMY, IN WHITE SOX ORG. 

In the upcoming years its going to be interesting for both (if they make it to MLB) playing on opposite sides of town.

Reed would be considerd a stretch at the 3rd round. In fact I thought we would over-draft him. He was projected to go about this high to the Dodgers or Sox, but that was considered a reach. So another team taking him this high is an even bigger stretch.

Ok nevermind, I see Lemon was our 8th round pick. I think I'm all better now.

Yeah I screwed up and edited. The radio cast said the 8th was starting when it was actually done and screwed me up. It's very hard to follow this.

McCarthy,

College SS moves to 3B in the pro game. He put up good power numbers in the Pac-10 this year.

SS Ryan McCarthy's stock has been on the rise all spring. A lifetime .261 hitter at UCLA, he bumped his average over .300 this year while leading the Bruins with 13 home runs and 42 RBIs. McCarthy reminds some scouts of former Long Beach State star Chris Gomez. He is a steady, reliable infielder with average tools and makes all the routine plays. He committed just five errors this spring--an impressive feat for a college shortstop.

I can't find a thing on Rex Adams.

8th round pick: NICKOLAS LEMON BRIGHAM YOUNG U RHP R/R 6'3" 195

COMMENT: LARGE PHYSICAL FRAME. STRONG, WELL PROPORTIONED BUILD. ANGULAR SHOULDERS. TAPERED TORSO. TRIM WAIST. MUSCULAR, DEVELOPED LOWER 1/2. PITCHES FROM STRETCH. DEEP DROP IN BACK. MEDIUM LEG KICK. GOOD OUT FRONT. ELECTRIC ARM SPEED, HIGH 3/4 SLOT. FB MOST 91-93 W/ SINK & OCCAISIONAL CUT LIFE. GETS ON HITTERS QUICK. FAIR FEEL FOR SLIDER. TOUGH TO HIT WHEN ON TOP. HARD TILT W/ LATE BITE, MAKINGS OF OUT PITCH. AGGRESSIVE, 2-PITCH RELIEVER W/ A LIVE ARM.

Again the radio cast deceives me. The guy we picked was Adam Ricks. :bang Ricks, Rex, it's close when it's a conference call on the radio.

10th rounder: ADAM RICKS U MIAMI 2B S/R 5'10" 195

COMMENT: MEDIUM BUILD W/ STRENGTH. SLOPING SHOULDERS. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO CRAIG BIGGIO. SIMILAR APPROACH FROM BOTH SIDES. FEET SHOULDER WIDTH, STARTS HANDS EAR LEVEL. SOLID APPROACH. QUICK BAT. LINE DRIVE HITTER TO ALL FIELDS. FLASHES OCCAISIONAL PWR FROM LEFT SIDE. SOLID HANDS, MAKES PLAYS. QUICK FEET AROUND 2B. STRONG ARM. SMART BASERUNNER. PLAYS HARD. SOLID DEFENSIVE PLAYER. MAKES THINGS HAPPEN. HARDWORKER. KNOWS HOW TO PLAY THE GAME. SMART PLAYER.

lol its alright I completely understand, they get me all the time.

Adam Ricks, could be a catcher for us???

Another versatile possible mid-round draft is Miami senior Adam Ricks, who has played second base and some shortstop for the Hurricanes but whose tools profile best at catcher. Miami (and Sacramento City CC before it) has given him a few innings there so scouts can see him catch and throw. He's a lefthanded hitter that makes contact consistently.

I really think we got a heck of a steal with Donny Lucy, he sounds like he should have been a 1st round pick. He has EVERYTHING. Great defense, brains, and he hit 24 homers this year I read. I never read anything about him before the draft and now I'm shocked.

Guest JimH

That's good, a middle infielder with smarts, the White Sox system needs that.

So far, they've touched upon a lot of needs. They took a catcher early which I wanted. Josh Fields is the 1st rounder I'd hoped for. Lots of pitchers taken, several college guys and a few higher ceiling HS guys.

Looking back, the Sox usually sign about 20 guys and 3-4 more as draft-and-follows. They almost always get the first few rounders signed, and it seems there's always a guy in the 5-7 round range they can't get signed.

Not a bad draft as it stands now. It will be interesting to see how the BA staff grades it.

Just realized Gary Bakkar was our 11th round pick, as a UNC fan I'm very excited. He is a solid pitcher, he got lit up his last outing though and couldn't get through the first. But he has solid stuff and will be a solid pick in my opinion, about a 91 mph fastball.

RHP Garry Bakker has been in North Carolina's rotation for three years and has made strides but lacks a true strikeout pitch. He has average stuff across the board, a good 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame and has pitched well against wood bats in the Cape.

I would give the Sox draft a B at this point. They took a couple of solid safe picks in Fields and Lumsden. They than took one of the biggest sleepers in the draft in Gonzalez, who could be this years Sweeney. A high school lefty that is consistantly in the low 90's, with a Zito-like curve, and good control is a recipe for sucess. The reason that he slipped a little is signability and attitude. If the Sox can get him signed, than they could end up with a gem. After Gonzalez, the Sox draft has been average at best. I like the catcher from Stanford, Lucy, although I would have rather seen them take OSU catcher Jarmillo. I also like Russel, but after that the Sox draft is questionable. They took a lot of high ceiling low chance of making it picks. I have no problem taking a few high school projects, but college projects are another thing. These guys are 21-22 and have little time to turn it around. Because the Sox had a large quantity of picks and address some major weakness, I gave them a high grade, but that grade was lowered a little because of some questionable mid-round picks

I thought this thing on Lemon was rather interesting from Baseball America..

The White Sox used their 8th round pick on BYU righty Nick Lemon, who has one of the best fastball of any pitcher in the draft (touching 98 mph), but little idea of what to do with it. In 37 innings, he walked 50, hit eight batters and served up 19 wild pitches.

12 rounder: DARON ROBERTS CALIFORNIA ST U CF R/R 6'0" 215

COMMENT: EVENLY PROPORTIONED, ATHLETIC FRAME. BROAD, ROUNDED SHOULDERS. STOCKY CHEST, GOOD UPPER BODY STRENGTH. MUSCULAR ARMS. STRONG LEGS. SIMILAR TO GEOFF JENKINS. SLIGHT OPEN STANCE, STRIDES STRAIGHT AWAY. POWERFUL, QUICK BAT. SHORT, COMPACT STROKE. PWR TO ALL FIELDS. NEVER CHEATED AT PLATE. GOOD LEVERAGE IN SWING W/ LOFT. FAIR INSTINCTS IN OF, PLAYABLE ARM W/ ON-LINE ACCURATE. IMPROVED EYE & DISCIPLINE AT PLATE. TOOLS PROFILE FOR CORNER OF POSITION. FATHER FORMER MAJOR LEAGUER DAVE ROBERTS, CURRENT SCOUT FOR TAMPA BAY.

13th: JOHN EGBERT ST U NJ RUTGERS RHP L/R 6'3" 205

COMMENT: EXCELLENT PITCHERS BODY. WELL PROPORTIONED, LONG & LOOSE. STRONG LEGS. FULLY MATURED. STEVE TRACHSEL TYPE BODY. 3/4 ARM SLOT. FAST NO WINDUP DELIVERY. HIGH, QUICK TUCK. LONG IN BACK. GOOD PICK OFF MOVE. DOES IT EASY. LOOSE ARM W/ DECEPTIVE SPEED ON SINK & BORE FB, MOST FB 86-88, OUT PITCH, ESPECIALLY TO LHH. LATE FADE & SINK CIRCLE CHANGEUP. WORKS AHEAD. AGGRESSIVE IN ZONE. WON'T CAVE. 2-PITCH PITCHER AT PRESENT. CB IMPROVEMENT NEEDED TO REACH POTENTIAL. HARD WORKER.

14th: MICHAEL SWAIN WABASH VALLEY COL 3B L/R JR

15th: CARLOS TORRES KANSAS ST U RHP R/R 6'2" 180 4YR

16th: Another OFer from Fla. Int. in the teen rounds (Nanita)

FERNANDO ALVAREZ FLORIDA INTERNATIONAL U OF L/L 6'1" 205 4YR

COMMENT: MEDIUM BUILD. ROUND SHOULDERS. STRONG, ATHLETIC FRAME. BODY TYPE SIMILAR TO EX-MAJOR LEAGUER BRADY ANDERSON. SLIGHT OPEN STANCE, FEET SHOULDER WIDTH, STARTS HANDS HIGH. LINE DRIVE, GAP TO GAP HITTER. OCCAISIONAL PWR TO PULL, QUICK ON BALL IN. MAKES PLAYS DEFENSIVELY. HAS ARM STRENGTH. RUNS BETTER UNDERWAY. PLAYS HARD. CAN ALSO PLAY 1B. STRONG KID. GOOD ATHLETIC. PLAYS HARD ALL THE TIME. HAS TOOLS TO DEVELOP AT THE NEXT LEVEL. LHH W/ OCCAISIONAL PWR.

Interesting on our 17th round pick: JACOB WILD BAKERSFIELD COL RHP R/R 6'5" 185

COMMENT: EXTRA-LARGE FRAME. LONG, LEAN MUSCLES. ROUNDED SHOULDERS. TRIM WAIST. LONG, LOOSE LIMBS. NO WINDUP, 3/4 RELEASE. WRIST WRAP IN BACK. VERY PROJECTABLE. ML FRAME W/ EASY DELIVERY. LOOSE, QUICK ARM. FB HAS MILD RUN & OCCAISIONAL RIDING LIFE UP IN ZONE, MOST 87-90. HARD, SWEEPING SLIDER. CHANGEUP HAS MILD FADE & SINK. AGGRESSIVE. COMPETITOR. VERY GOOD ATHLETE. ML PITCHER'S FRAME. LOOSE, YOUNG ARM. HIGH UPSIDE, CAN SEE IN ML.

18th: BRETT SCARPETTA ROCKTON HONONEGAH HS RHP R/R

That finishes off the day.

Fields was a big-time reach.

Football players have proven to be BAD baseball players.

See video of Drew Henson, Josh Booty, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Chris Weinke and Joe Borchard for details.

They don't get enough reps during their developmental years because of all the time they spend with chinstraps on.

Dumb pick

Didn't Chat Hutchinson end up getting hurt? And Drew Henson can't really be considered on this scale cause he was away from baseball for so long. Also, I don't have any numbers in front of me, but I can guarantee you there are also some pretty good playesr at the major league level and talent wise, Fields was not a reach.

He basically went at a position he was slotted. I wasn't even a fan of Fields up until a week or two ago when I saw him swing. The guy has loads of power and should be a good average hitter. Since he's a two sport star, the Sox can spread out his signing bonus as well.

Jas, can you list all of the guys we have drafted up to this point? Thanks.

Ya, working on something for FS now on it. I'm just doing a ton of reading trying to catch up on all that was missed by going to my damn summer school class :lol:

Ya, working on something for FS now on it.  I'm just doing a ton of reading trying to catch up on all that was missed by going to my damn summer school class  :lol:

Yah I feel you. I spent 4 hours in summer school today. It was a blast. Take your time, I don't mind waiting a little.

I am kind of dissapointed no SS's were taken. Only one 2B. I like our picks though.

Well the McCarthy kid from UCLA was a shortstop, however he's likely to move to 3rd base. He did just commit 5 errors though, so he is good defensively.

Steve, your list is up now :D . Now I'm going to write up an overview on just a few of the players taken in day one.