Why not Marte?

jasonxctf

Everyone is talking about Shingo as the closer. At this point I'm up for giving him a shot. However why not give Marte a shot?

Takatsu 3-0 1.27ERA 21.1IP 16K 0.80WHIP

Marte    1-2 2.82ERA 22.1IP 15K 1.07WHIP

Marte has coughed it up when it has counted this year, Shingo deserves a shot before he does, based on this season.

It doesnt matter if its interesting or not... results are all that matter... and when you look at it Marte has more Blown Saves than Koch does.. bottom line

you keep telling yourself that.

Enough with the Koch support...He blows.

I don't think that is Koch support, but look at the stats, Marte has blown more saves, and lost more games this year than Koch, that is not the move to make. I'm not supporting Koch, but Marte isn't the answer either.

It doesnt matter if its interesting or not... results are all that matter... and when you look at it Marte has more Blown Saves than Koch does.. bottom line

No, the real bottomline is your intellectual dishonesty and/or primitive understanding of baseball.

:nono

Let's say you had a pitcher that gave up two runs every inning he pitched, that is he had an ERA of 18.00.

Let's say you put him into ten save situations at the start of the 9th inning and he didn't blow any of them because every single one your team had a 3-run lead. Now let's say you are playing Minnesota in the rubber match of a set and have a one run lead going into the 9th. Would you throw your 18.00 ERA closer out there because he was 10/10 in save opportunities?

This is of course a bit exaggerated but the point is saves out of chances ALONE does not tell you ANYTHING about how good a pitcher is.

Give Mr. Zero a shot as the closer. We all know that Koch wasn’t meant to be a White Sox closer. He was probably good 2 years ago (I honestly don’t know his history) but he certainly isn’t helping his team out. You look at Shingo with great confidence. But once you see Koch, you start swearing like crazy because you know he’s not going to close the game.

It's got to be closer by committee.

If Oz or KW proclaims Shingo the closer, you just know he's gonna blow

his first save opportunity.

Use Marte and Shingo then throw Koch out there maybe once of every 10 save opps.

Hey Brando. How many times do we have to tell these guys that Blown Save stats for a set-up man is something entirely different than those for a closer? Well evaluating whether a setup guy can be a good closer, the blown save stat is just, well, BS.

Hey Brando.  How many times do we have to tell these guys that Blown Save stats for a set-up man is something entirely different than those for a closer?  Well evaluating whether a setup guy can be a good closer, the blown save stat is just, well, BS.

At the very least, it can be misleading

Marte leading the league in BS's is a bit exaggerated...he has been better then his numbers would indicate. However, he does deserve some blame for those BS's. The one I recall the best was opening day, and I do remember him having a walk-a-thon against Minnesota in the first game of the 3-game set in Chi-town(Shingo's worst outing in a pressure situation. To expand on that thought, Shingo gave up a hit, and that was pretty much all he allowed. That's how good he's been. Given, Javy Lopez damn near took him way out for a grand slam in Baltimore, but Shingo somehow kept it in the park). Otherwise, he's been pretty solid.

Hey Brando.  How many times do we have to tell these guys that Blown Save stats for a set-up man is something entirely different than those for a closer?  Well evaluating whether a setup guy can be a good closer, the blown save stat is just, well, BS.

I don't understand why you keep banging your heads against the wall. The only funny thing is reading you two schooling them. :lol: