Worst Songs of All Time

Texsox

Wasn't that Fifth Dimension?

Chicago music is awesome, I agree with you on that.

Yes it was the 5th Dimension, my bad. Weird - that song sounds soooo.... white? :rolleyes:

"Never My Love" was the other Association song that charted but i couldn't recall it.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that there has been some pretty good stuff out of Chicago, but seriously, with the size of this city, don't you think there should have been one band that truely ruled the music soundscape? Buddy Guy and such are Blues legends, and while they have their place, I was talking about BIG success type of stuff, and Liz Phair doesn't fit that category. I am a HUGE Urge fan, but they never "made it".

Smashing Pumpkins? Ugh. Terrible crap. Grunge turned Industrial, and all of it done mediocre.

A city the size of Chicago, that list you gave me should be MUCH longer, with much more Nationally recognized names.

Have you read an IE lately? Pathetic. If you don't like the Blues or cover bands, you're screwed for music in these parts. IMO, Chicago bites musically. :ph34r:

Smashing Pumpkins? Ugh. Terrible crap. Grunge turned Industrial, and all of it done mediocre.

A city the size of Chicago, that list you gave me should be MUCH longer, with much more Nationally recognized names.

Have you read an IE lately? Pathetic. If you don't like the Blues or cover bands, you're screwed for music in these parts. IMO, Chicago bites musically. :ph34r:

We'll have to agree to dis on Pumpkins. Cub Fan and all, I think Corgan saved the local music scene from a slow musical death at the hands of either Goth-Rock or stagnating hip-hop. The line-up was more solid prior to Jim Chamberlaign (sp?) getting axed, but he probably would have OD'd head they not cut him loose.

It's sad to think the local music scene as that bad off, and hopefully it's not as bad as all that. No Funkhouse or Otters at al. still playing around?

Not sure, the names aren't familiar. I killed off my bands numerous years ago, as it has become impossible to get any decent gigs lined up unless you are a cover/tribute band. If you do get shows, you can expect a turn out of 10-20 people, as long as you have that many friends. It got much to depressing. We did a show once, the band right before us was a cover band. They were TERRIBLE! Vocalist who couldn't sing, looked like s***, etc. The place was packed for them, and it was going WILD! This was at The Gateway, which isn't all that small. So they ended, and 20 minutes later we took the stage. We had about 15 people in the audience all of a sudden, most of them our friends, and one girl who was passed out.

Our final show was in Delavan Wisconsin. We had a smallish turnout. I was pissed beyond belief, ended up beating the s*** out of my guitar to the point of busting it up a bit and tearing my hand to shreds (blood all over, I was known for a HIGHLY energetic show, and a rather violent one, almost got pulled off the stage at the Thirsty Whale for being too "wild"). About a week later the band kicked me out, and I was the lead vocalist and song writer. They decided they wanted to fit in with the current trend, and start doing more covers, and doing a "classic rock" sound, and they knew I wouldn't budge and give in.

To this day, I would rather play in my room than cave and play s*** I don't like.

The IE this month had their "Local Band Directory". Back in the day that thing would be about 10-15 pages long. This month is at the most a page. Two half page lists. :crying Of the 32 bands listed, 9 of those are cover and or tribute bands. Pretty sad.

I guess this isn't your idea of fun

Hairbangers Ball

Not so long ago, bands like Poison, Guns N' Roses, Mötley Crüe and Skid Row were selling millions of records and playing sold-out arenas across the country.

Now, having seen the recent, enormous commercial success of the "Monster Ballads" CD collection and the explosion of VH-1's "Behind The Music", one tribute band has tapped into the nostalgic energy of the "Decade of Decadence" like no other to deliver uncanny live performances and the wildest, never-ending party since Axl Rose was welcoming millions of rabid fans to his rock n' roll jungle.

It's called HAIRBANGER'S BALL. And the crazy train has left the station, complete with the monster hair, the tattoos, the leopard print spandex, pyrotechnic masterpieces and all the make-up you can handle.

If you must know, up until two months ago my hair was down to my ass. At the time I had the bands going, my hair was eggplant purple. My bands have always been Glam/Punk with more of a straight RnR style. Yes, I am a "Glammy", but no, I hate Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, et al. I am a Hanoi Rocks, NY Dolls, Dogs D'Amour, Soho Roses, Marionette, Lords Of The New Church, Dave Kusworth, Faces kind of guy. I don't like "Cock Rock". :D

I guess this isn't your idea of fun

Hairbangers Ball

Not so long ago, bands like Poison, Guns N' Roses, Mötley Crüe and Skid Row were selling millions of records and playing sold-out arenas across the country.

Now, having seen the recent, enormous commercial success of the "Monster Ballads" CD collection and the explosion of VH-1's "Behind The Music", one tribute band has tapped into the nostalgic energy of the "Decade of Decadence" like no other to deliver uncanny live performances and the wildest, never-ending party since Axl Rose was welcoming millions of rabid fans to his rock n' roll jungle.

It's called HAIRBANGER'S BALL. And the crazy train has left the station, complete with the monster hair, the tattoos, the leopard print spandex, pyrotechnic masterpieces and all the make-up you can handle.

See, that's just stupid. I mean you can hire most of the original bands for like, $75 now so what's the point? :D

If you must know, up until two months ago my hair was down to my ass. At the time I had the bands going, my hair was eggplant purple. My bands have always been Glam/Punk with more of a straight RnR style. Yes, I am a "Glammy", but no, I hate Poison, Motley Crue, Skid Row, et al. I am a Hanoi Rocks, NY Dolls, Dogs D'Amour, Soho Roses, Marionette, Lords Of The New Church, Dave Kusworth, Faces kind of guy. I don't like "Cock Rock".  :D

No Bowie in there?? And you call yourself a Glam Rocker. For shame... :headshake

Oh, and for the past few years I have been gathering info for a book on the whole Glam movement. I have numerous great interviews for it with people from the 80's, who were in bands such as Wrathchild (the UK version), Soho Roses and even some great stuff with Vom Ritchie, who was the drummer for many a cool band in the 80's. If I ever get my procrastinating ass going, it will be a great book. It is being done while I write music for my CD, and perfect my sculpting skills. I need fewer hobbies. GO SOX!!! while I'm at it!!!

So yeah, I'm a Sox loving, Glammy, fine beer swigging, Horror film junky, aspiring author and sculptor, who is also raising a family and starting to figure out how to build a MAME arcade system for his basement that he plans to finish in the next year.

Back to songs that suck...everything by The Pixies and Radiohead.

No Bowie in there?? And you call yourself a Glam Rocker. For shame...  :headshake

I like Bowie enough, I guess. I just never got into the BS he did after his Glam period.

T-Rex was probably one of my biggest influences growing up though. Is that atleast close enough? Love that Mott The Hoople, Sweet, Slade, Suzi Quatro...

Just Bowie hurt his past with that 80's s***, IMO.

See, that's just stupid.  I mean you can hire most of the original bands for like, $75 now so what's the point?  :D

Of all the bands he's been in, Hairbangers has been the most consistently popular. Core seemed like it was doing really well for a while, I was at a couple of their shows, but Bangers has really taken off.

A friend of mine saw them in INdiana and was telling me about them. I started cracking up when I realized it was Jeff's band.

I like Bowie enough, I guess. I just never got into the BS he did after his Glam period.

T-Rex was probably one of my biggest influences growing up though. Is that atleast close enough? Love that Mott The Hoople, Sweet, Slade, Suzi Quatro...

Just Bowie hurt his past with that 80's s***, IMO.

Yeah, I'll take Ziggy and Diamond Dogs over Blue Jean and Let's Dance any day as well.

Just making sure you weren't forgetting the Godfather of Glam. Another eye-raising omission is Todd Rundgren circa 'A Wizard, A True Star' and 'Todd' (back when his hair was purple too). he produced the NY Dolls too, though, so at least Todd's spirit is in your influence list.

Well, just this week I picked up Rundgrens "Something/Anything" set. I blame my not getting into Todd on his poor 80's turn-out. My sister kicked my ass last friday for not having any Todd, so she told me to go out and buy "Something/Anything", which I did on Monday. Damn happy I did. I was showing my sister the local (gasp!) band The Chamber Strings and she commented on the HEAVY Todd influence.

I've been filling holes in my collection lately. Bought Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" and REM's "Murmur" last night. Owned the REM on tape, but decided it was time for the CD upgrade, thanks to Borders have a nice sale going on right now. The Van Morrison was bought out of my love of The Waterboys, and Mike Scott saying that their "This Is The Sea" album was done under the influence of "Astral Weeks". Familiar with all the Van hits, but never bought one of his proper albums. Love it!

You're selling Chicago's musical heritage a little short there.

Muddy Waters?

Shadows of Knight?

The Association? (maybe Windy and Up Up & Away were too schmaltzy, but Cherish is the 2nd most radio=played song of Rock and Roll after You've lost that loving feeling.')

The Buckinghams (5 top 10 songs)

Chicago – CTA Vol. 1 and anything before Kath checked out is still insanely great, and I can stomach most of their stuff through XI or Hot Streets.  Once Cetera decided he WAS Chicago and Lamb, Pankov, and Co. let him do it they were officially musically irrelevant.

Buddy Guy?

Liz Phair?

Urge Overkill? - A lot of folks didn't think much of them I know but I liked them.

Pumpkins?!!?

I don't know, there are some pretty good musicians/bands spanning 6 decades in that group.

If I may throw a couple pennies in here.

I don't think "great band" is at all synonymous with "nationally recognized."

Chicago's greates legacy in music, IMO is in punk rock, if not blues(just depends on your tastes is all). The Effigies, RotA, Bhopal Stiffs, Naked Raygun, Pegboy, Screeching Weasel, Tar, etc. in the 80's-90's up through The Arrivals, Mexican Cheerleader, The Mashugunas(sp?) today kicked the crap out of MOST stuff from either NY or Orange County. Especially today. Compare Mexican Cheerleader's debut cd to anything by Blink 182, then smash your head against the wall as you try to figure out why Blink are all millionaires while MC still plays the Fireside.

If I may throw a couple pennies in here.

I don't think "great band" is at all synonymous with "nationally recognized."

Chicago's greates legacy in music, IMO is in punk rock, if not blues(just depends on your tastes is all).  The Effigies, RotA, Bhopal Stiffs, Naked Raygun, Pegboy, Screeching Weasel, Tar, etc. in the 80's-90's up through The Arrivals, Mexican Cheerleader, The Mashugunas(sp?) today kicked the crap out of MOST stuff from either NY or Orange County.  Especially today.  Compare Mexican Cheerleader's debut cd to anything by Blink 182, then smash your head against the wall as you try to figure out why Blink are all millionaires while MC still plays the Fireside.

Point taken that charting songs and selling albums does not a great band make.

And a pox on me for not including Naked Raygun in my initial list. I was way into them in high school and college.

DON'T WANNA HAVE SEX, HARDLY PLAY WITH MYSELF, LIBIDO'S LOW! LIBIDO'S LOW!!
:headbang

I hated Mambo #5 when it was popular like 5 years ago or whatever. I can't remember who sings it

I also loathed the "AND I...LOVE.....WEEK 17.....AND I...LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!" song from the beer commercial they did on sportscenter every single week. Annoying as hell.

Here are the lyrics to Cold beverage.

Yo - could I get a cold beverage

I need some leverage

It's sunny outside

Some lemonade would be nice

Or a sprite through the drive-through

At B.K. Yo I'll buy a girl a drink

But girls got to pay

On the front porch I got

Some iced tea

If you like a taste of tea

Then come along with me

Summertime is steamin'

Don't give me no (unintelligible)

Grab some ice and a dash of vermouth

It's martini time

Yeah yeah feeling golden

Bring your own beverage

Just make sure it's cold

I like cold beverage yeah (3 X)

Uh huh

Give me frosty mug

Filled with A & W

If you got ice cream

Make it a double scoop

Milkshake at the fountain

Really good sounding

Chocolate egg cream

Yo, I'm champ cherry pounding

Caught a chill vibe

Orange juice in my ride

Wawa's to the right

They got beverage inside

Dig me a hot coffee

Fill it up with ice

Watermelon's like drink

Please fix me a large slice

Summertime is cool the heat is getting old

Yeah I'll have a beverage

Just make sure it's cold

Cold, cold, cold, cold ...

I like cold beverage, yeah (3 X)

'Cuz I'm feelin' kinda thirsty

Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge

Stick it in the fridge, stick it in the fridge (2 X)

Go girl work the cold one (4 X)

Yo, when I'm fishing

Let's keep one thing clear

The bait's over there

The brew's right here

Two six packs and a big bag of ice

Didn't even catch a bite

But the brew tasted nice

Back to the bar

Strawberry daiquiris and a colada

I need a whole lotta them

Fruit drinks to catch me a buzz

I must tell you I'm the Cool-Aid kid

Before you serve me a drink

Please stick it in the fridge

I like cold beverage yeah

Well, just this week I picked up Rundgrens "Something/Anything" set. I blame my not getting into Todd on his poor 80's turn-out. My sister kicked my ass last friday for not having any Todd, so she told me to go out and buy "Something/Anything", which I did on Monday. Damn happy I did. I was showing my sister the local (gasp!) band The Chamber Strings and she commented on the HEAVY Todd influence.

I've been filling holes in my collection lately. Bought Van Morrison's "Astral Weeks" and REM's "Murmur" last night. Owned the REM on tape, but decided it was time for the CD upgrade, thanks to Borders have a nice sale going on right now. The Van Morrison was bought out of my love of The Waterboys, and Mike Scott saying that their "This Is The Sea" album was done under the influence of "Astral Weeks". Familiar with all the Van hits, but never bought one of his proper albums. Love it!

Astral Weeks is easily in the top 25 albums of the Rock era. Murmer, Chronic Town, Reckonings, Fables... Now that's REM.

And don't sell all the 80s Todd stuff short. Output was inconsistent but always creative and self-reinventing. He was doing a lot of different things at the time, including fronting Utopia, programming software, running a video production company, producing Cheap Trick, the Tubes, xtc and others, writing a Broadway musical, and generally continuing to be very much an iconoclast.

For my money, the best 80s Todd was 1989s Nearly Human. He got back to his Philly soul roots, and maybe the outros to the songs are a little too long while he shows off his freestyle his vocal chops. But he's fronting an 11-piece band on it, he was in great voice for the sessions, and the compositions are among his best ever. You can probably find it in the $5.99 bin, but that's just because American music consumers SUCK ASS.

And a pox on me for not including Naked Raygun in my initial list.  I was way into them in high school and college.

I will go to my grave calling them the greatest punk band that has ever existed. Give all the props in the world to the likes of the Ramones and Sex Pistols for doing it first, but if you take the chronology out of the equation, I don't think it's even close. Neither the SP's or Ramones had 1)A singer that could actually sing. 2) The creativity to try and infuse punk with both jazz and blues(see the aforementioned "Libido" or "Mr. Gridlock") or 3)Three guys that could actually play their instruments.

The worst song ever has to be the one " I like cold beverage yeah...uh huh" Cold Beverage, I don't recall the supposed artist who did this song though. Also was used in a Coor's Light commercial as well.

Isn't that G. Love And Special Sauce?

I love Naked Raygun, but I don't agree with Chicago being better than NY or Orange County. No Chicago band could come close to touching 7 Seconds, The Adolescents, TSOL, Social Distortion, Agnostic Front ("Cause For Alarm" is amazing), Cro-Mags ("Age Of Quarrel" is one of the most brutal recordings ever!), and then you have the DC output of Minor Threat, Dag Nasty, Scream, and many, many, many other Dischord bands. With the exception of Naked Raygun and Life Sentence, I was never fond of the local Punk scene. And I spent a TON of time in the pits in the 80's. Got my "wings" at a GBH/Cro-Mags/Lost Cause show in '85. :D

You can probably find it in the $5.99 bin, but that's just because American music consumers SUCK ASS.

On that, we fully agree!

Actually, I think I have "Almost Human" on cassette...somewhere. I think I need to search it out now. If that is the one with the handprint on the cover, then I have it. :unsure: :rolleyes: