Koch is relieved of the Closer duty!

Xero

AURORA — There's no doubt about it, Ozzie Guillen has a passion for the game of baseball, but even more than that, he has a passion for the White Sox.

That was apparent here Monday when the White Sox' manager who, along with radio play-by-play man John Rooney, were the guests of honor at the 100th Celebrity Sports Banquet at Long Island Sound. As the manager was peppered with questions from the White Sox faithful gathered in the room, his answers were candid, engaging, and often times funny.

"I'm a White Sox fan," said Guillen, who patrolled the shortstop position on the South Side for 13 seasons. "I was so happy to come back to Chicago and work with the team I played for for so many years."

And so far the White Sox, and their fans, are happy that he is back. Even after a tough West Coast trip to Oakland and Seattle where the Sox won just one of their five games, the team enters its interleague series with the Phillies at 30-24 on the season, good for first place in the American League Central by a game over the Twins.

Not the same

But as Guillen looks back on the first two months of his managing career, he's finding out that there is a big difference between being a player and being the guy in charge. Winning feels the same, but losing is a lot tougher. Sunday's loss to Seattle, where closer Billy Koch blew yet another save opportunity, was a perfect example. "I've been in this game for the last 20-something years, and I've never been as sick to my stomach as I was (Sunday) night," he said. "When you are a player (the games) are easy because you can contribute. When you are a manager or coach, you can't do anything about it, you just hope everything turns out all right." A player also gets to leave the game behind after a win or a loss, and show up for work at the ballpark to do it again the next day. But the manager isn't so lucky, he has to answer to the front office, the media, and the fans. After a round of golf with good friends Harold Baines and Greg Walker, Guillen spent Monday's off-day in a two-hour meeting with upper management discussing ways to make the team better, mainly finding a fifth starter, following the amateur draft and deciding on who is going to handle the role of closing out games.

He gone?

Finding a fifth starter is still an unsolved question, but Guillen did come to a decision on his bullpen. Koch will no longer be the closer, with that role most likely going to lefty Damaso Marte. "I've already seen enough — I come to win, and I want to win, and I don't think Billy is going to be the first option," said Guillen. "(General manager) Kenny Williams is working to make something happen. I'm not out of options, but I don't think you are going to see Billy Koch too often there."

Despite their pitching problems and the loss of superstar outfielder Magglio Ordonez for two months, Guillen feels like the team and the organization are going in the right direction, and that things are only going to get better.

"We're not playing the way I think we could play, I think we have a better club than we have shown (so far)," he said. "The kids are ready to win. Now they are learning and feeling and tasting what it is like to be a winner, and they are ready to go."

He feels the players are ready, and the organization feels the same way. Guillen says management, most notably Williams and owner Jerry Reinsdorf, are on board to make the commitments necessary to do what is necessary to take the team to the next level.

"I was so happy, that's the first meeting (Monday) I've had where I've left with a lot of confidence and being really happy about what they told me," he said. "You will be really surprised with what they are going to do, and hopefully when they give me the team hopefully I can get the team to continue the way we are playing right now."

Guillen played on several winning teams as a player, and appeared in the postseason three times, twice with the White Sox and once with the Atlanta Braves, where he played three games in the 1999 World Series.

He was also the third-base coach last season for the World Champion Florida Marlins.

Pass it on

He hopes to pass those lessons learned onto his players, along with preaching the value of playing hard every day ("Today is the biggest game we are going to play."), while also respecting the media, the fans, and the game. This new attitude has gotten the attention of the entire organization, as well as the rest of the league.

"Going to spring training this year, I had a feeling that once we got there we might be on to something special," said Rooney, who has been the team's play-by-play man since 1988.

"Good players make good managers, but I think great managers take players to a level where they are better than just average major league players. I'm glad Ozzie is on board, because I feel that attitude all the way up in the press box."

Having had a taste of what it's like to win a World Series, Guillen is ready to do it again, and soon.

"I came from winning the World Series, that's the best feeling that you can have," he said. "I want to have that feeling here in Chicago."

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I read that whole thing right it sounds like KW is trying to dump Botch.

That would rock!!!!!!!!!!

At least he wont be blowing anymore saves, but at the same time I'd rather see Shingo get the call. If Marte screws up then that's defenitely gonna happen.

He gone?

Finding a fifth starter is still an unsolved question, but Guillen did come to a decision on his bullpen. Koch will no longer be the closer, with that role most likely going to lefty Damaso Marte. "I've already seen enough — I come to win, and I want to win, and I don't think Billy is going to be the first option," said Guillen.

:headbang :cheers

If I read that whole thing right it sounds like KW is trying to dump Botch. 

That would rock!!!!!!!!!!

At least he wont be blowing anymore saves, but at the same time I'd rather see Shingo get the call.  If Marte screws up then that's defenitely gonna happen.

I'd rather see Shingo as well.

I only hope that Ozzie talked with Marte and Koch before this.

I wonder why he isn't more confident in Zero. Perhaps he likes Marte's experience.

Marte doesn't have near the experience in closing out games as Shingo does. I don't think Marte is going to do well as the closer, I really don't think he has the stuff. I would rather see Shingo or even Jackson in there to close.

While I'd like shingo to get it, I can live with damaso.

Same here. I'm a little confused with the move, figuring Shingo has shown he deserves it more. However, I know Marte's not the same Marte of last year or anything, but I feel better with him closing games over Koch.

Marte doesn't have near the experience in closing out games as Shingo does.  I don't think Marte is going to do well as the closer, I really don't think he has the stuff.  I would rather see Shingo or even Jackson in there to close.

I wouldn't take Jackson over Marte at this point

"I was so happy, that's the first meeting (Monday) I've had where I've left with a lot of confidence and being really happy about what they told me," he said. "You will be really surprised with what they are going to do, and hopefully when they give me the team hopefully I can get the team to continue the way we are playing right now."

I wonder what they are planning on surprising us with? :huh:

I wouldn't take Jackson over Marte at this point

Why not? Not only does Jackson have the confidence and experience at being a closer, he's given up 5 more hits, 1 more ER, 1 less HR, 4 less BB, and has a .5 era higher than Marte in one more inning of work.

I think I like this move better then Zero being the closer. Let's face it, Zero is a junk ball pitcher. The less people see of him, the better and more effective he is going to be. Putting him out there in a save situation every day is not going to be as effective as his role is now.

Opinions?

I think I like this move better then Zero being the closer.  Let's face it, Zero is a junk ball pitcher.  The less people see of him, the better and more effective he is going to be.  Putting him out there in a save situation every day is not going to be as effective as his role is now.

Opinions?

There is a risk that MLB batters will eventually catch onto Takatsu's motion and pitches, yes, so i could go either way with this move. As long as Koch is gone i'm fine. My one worry is, who gets lefties out in the 7th, 8th innings? I'm not too confident in Cotts right now late in ball games...the Sox only real good lefty is now used in the 9th

I think I like this move better then Zero being the closer.  Let's face it, Zero is a junk ball pitcher.  The less people see of him, the better and more effective he is going to be.  Putting him out there in a save situation every day is not going to be as effective as his role is now.

Opinions?

Maybe he would only be effective the first time around the league, but that is one time around more than Koch had been effective. Plus, there is no second time around with the pending Interleague matchups, so why not throw him out there then if the setups call for it?

I wouldnt mind sending Koch down to Charlotte and bringing Wunsch back up for the lefty option late in games.  I think Koch could really benefit from spending a little time in the minors, a wake up call if you will.

I think he's wide awake. He just doesn't have the intimidation or confidence. Other teams know he's vulnerable and they get juiced up to face him.

He's done as a stud closer. He's still a middle of the pack guy, serviceable at a lower salary for a Cleveland or Montreal, but almost worthless for a contender.

I wouldnt mind sending Koch down to Charlotte and bringing Wunsch back up for the lefty option late in games.  I think Koch could really benefit from spending a little time in the minors, a wake up call if you will.

Hell yeah he needs a huge wake up call

Hell yeah he needs a huge wake up call

Do you mean he was clueless that his role as closer was in jeopardy or that he had no idea he was sucking? In that regard, I disagree.

I think his quote that he "needed to get right back out there" was wishfull thinking on his part. Koch knew, regardless of Ozzie's assurances, that his roll of closer was hanging by a string. Foulke could blow two saves in one week and the Red Sox fans would be pissed, perhaps wondering what's wrong, but not calling for his head. Koch knew he did not have that luxery. His eyes were wide open, his situation was clear.