Ordonez feeling good after surgery

greasywheels121

Ordonez feeling good after surgery

Slugger trying to get back as soon as possible

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

CHICAGO -- Modern medicine is an amazing thing.

For a little over one week, or seven games in baseball days, White Sox right fielder Magglio Ordonez limped around the clubhouse or out of the batting cage, suffering in noticeable pain. But even through extensive daily treatment from head trainer Herm Schneider, the problem or pain would not go away. In fact, Ordonez regressed.

But with one 40-minute arthroscopic surgical procedure on his left knee Saturday morning, Ordonez seems to be a new man. He's at least back close to the form he had before suffering the knee problem, which wasn't too shabby judging by his four All-Star appearances.

"I feel no pain at all," said Ordonez, who arrived in the White Sox clubhouse Tuesday approximately one hour before game time. He was there to talk with Schneider about beginning his rehab procedure and meet with manager Ozzie Guillen for the first time since he left Oakland last Wednesday to fly to Los Angeles and be examined by Angels team physician, Dr. Lewis Yocum.

Ordonez will start his rehab in Chicago. He plans to fly home to Miami next week, when the White Sox play against the Marlins, and stay there when the team travels to Montreal.

"It's better," Ordonez continued of his left knee. "Now, I know I don't have anything in my knee. I can rehab and get healthy. It was very frustrating. I would feel good one day, and the next day, I would feel worse. Now, I'm OK."

Ordonez strode around the clubhouse Tuesday and greeted his teammates with the same sort of movement that he often used to track down fly balls in right or take the extra base on a line drive in the gap. It was a small meniscal tear that caused constant pain for Ordonez, the same tear that was repaired by White Sox team physician, Dr. Charles Bush-Joseph.

The timetable for Ordonez is four to seven weeks on the sideline. But he refused to guess at even an approximate date for his return.

"I don't want to say one week, two weeks or three weeks," Ordonez said. "I just want to go through rehab and be 100 percent and come back. It feels better than I thought. There's no swelling, no pain--nothing. Everything went well."

It was probably a good move for Ordonez to meet up with Guillen Tuesday. The White Sox manager quipped in Seattle that he "didn't care" about Ordonez, in his own comical way pointing out that he was more focused on the players who were currently healthy and trying to win games with the team.

Guillen held the same basic attitude prior to the Interleague opener against Philadelphia.

"I don't even know where Magglio is," said Guillen when asked in his pre-game media meeting. "I hope Magglio doesn't take it wrong. I do care about him. But I can't worry about him because he's not here."

Bur Ordonez might be back sooner than Guillen or the organization believes. He's already started some exercises and feels good enough to take the work out up a notch.

The cause of Ordonez's injury was believed to be a degenerative condition that was aggravated by a swing he took in the seventh inning of a May 25 game at home against Texas. Ordonez points to a collision with Willie Harris while tracking an Omar Vizquel pop up on May 19 in Cleveland that led to the damage.

There doesn't seem to be much concern, at this point, about what initially brought about the problem. Ordonez felt good again immediately following Saturday's surgery.

As Schneider said, he walked into the surgery and walked out right after it.

"They told me before the surgery I would be walking away," Ordonez said. "They said everything went well, and I feel good. I'm ready to start rehabbing and start running.

"I think it was the collision. I never in my career had any pain in my knees or any part of my body. I just kept playing and aggravated it, and that's what happened.

"But when you are in good shape, you can recover faster," added Ordonez, earning $14 million in the final year of his contract. "I'll start rehabbing, and hopefully be ready sooner than people think."

Speaking of Mags (this may be a bit off topic here) my brother spotted him above Hawk and DJ at tonight's game (tues v. Phils) in a skybox. All I have to say is why the heck aren't you in the clubhouse? Ya he's hurt but he's still part of this team and I see no reason for him not to be with the team when they play at home. Maybe my brother saw wrong, but if it really was Mags that's a bit shady. :unsure:

Speaking of Mags (this may be a bit off topic here) my brother spotted him above Hawk and DJ at tonight's game (tues v. Phils) in a skybox. All I have to say is why the heck aren't you in the clubhouse? Ya he's hurt but he's still part of this team and I see no reason for him not to be with the team when they play at home. Maybe my brother saw wrong, but if it really was Mags that's a bit shady.  :unsure:

Even if it was him its no big deal really.

Speaking of Mags (this may be a bit off topic here) my brother spotted him above Hawk and DJ at tonight's game (tues v. Phils) in a skybox. All I have to say is why the heck aren't you in the clubhouse? Ya he's hurt but he's still part of this team and I see no reason for him not to be with the team when they play at home. Maybe my brother saw wrong, but if it really was Mags that's a bit shady.  :unsure:

After being in the clubhouse before the game and giving interviews, he was in 33 with Jerry until the top of the 9th and then went down. FWIW, he was walking fine, said he feels good, and thinks he'll be back within a month. jerry was in a good mood last night. Visited with a lot of suites during the game.

After being in the clubhouse before the game and giving interviews, he was in 33 with Jerry until the top of the 9th and then went down. FWIW, he was walking fine, said he feels good, and thinks he'll be back within a month. jerry was in a good mood last night. Visited with a lot of suites during the game.

Good to see JR and Maggs are on talking terms at least, still a slim hope he can resign.

Regarding the topic though, I hope Maggs doesn't rush himself back before he's ready... I would rather have him out an extra 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 months

Good to see JR and Maggs are on talking terms at least, still a slim hope he can resign.

Regarding the topic though, I hope Maggs doesn't rush himself back before he's ready... I would rather have him out an extra 1-2 weeks instead of 1-2 months

Maggs will rush himself back. Remember this is his contract year. He wants to get back ASAP and put up the most numbers he can.

Maggs will rush himself back. Remember this is his contract year. He wants to get back ASAP and put up the most numbers he can.

He said several times he can't wait to get back to running. He wants to be back out there bad...