Super Regionals

IlliniKrush

I've been reading up on the Super Regionals this weekend and am going to watch as much as i can if it's televised, i want to get familiar with the teams going into the CWS. So to some of you more knowledgeable college baseball guys on here, i want to know who you think will win and some players i should watch for.

If you can catch it on TV, catch the Vanderbilt-Texas series. Vandy has a scrappy team and an ace in Jeremy Sowers. He will almost definitely go the first game on Friday night. Vandy has a couple of other good pitchers, one named Ryan Mullins. The strange thing is, they also have a pitcher named Greg Moviel who the Sox drafted and couldn't sign, but he rarely ever pitches for them. He was supposed to be one of the "ones that got away" for the Sox last year and certainly hasn't stepped in and contributed yet.

Vandy is my sleeper team in this thing. They will have a tall order against Texas. But they had 5 players drafted and several other top players that are sophomores, including Mullins. Antoan Richardson is one of the fastest players I have seen in a long time. They have the pitching, to pull off a surprise.

Other teams I have seen that are very good are Arkansas, South Carolina and LSU. Of course, those teams at the top of the SEC aren't hard to imagine being in the CWS. Florida has a shot as well. LSU has Jon Zeringue who the Sox drafted three years ago as a catcher. He is now an All-American OF.

Of course, a guy like Weaver with Long Beach State is a given if you get the opportunity to watch them.

I was going to comment about Texas and you beat me to it. Of course being here, I've seen a lot of press for them. They seem to have a very solid club with the right mix of pitching, timely hitting, etc. to make it to the CWS.

They, however, are not unbeatable. They had to bounce back late in their last game IIRC.

What is the scoop on Rice?  They had 3 pitchers taken in the first 8 picks.

Rice lost in the regionals...... 4-3 to Texas Southern in the first round, then fought their way all the way back to the If Necessary game and lost when Philip Humber (one of the stud 3) gave up a grand slam in the bottom of the 8th inning to Texas A&M. I think that score was also 4-3, but I could be wrong.

You were close Rex, it was 7-5.

"Right fielder Justin Ruggiano hit a grand slam off righthander Philip Humber in the bottom of the eighth inning to end Rice's hopes of repeating as national champions."

I remember Jason and I were both upset when we didn't sign Greg Moviel, I thought for sure he was gonna be a good one. He still has time to live up to his potential though.

I think Texas is gonna win it all, but East Carolina is a sleeper for me.

Moviel wasn't eligible, but rarely does a freshman come in and contribute as a starter, unless their is a need. He'll likely contribute next year.

I'm going to say watch out for Fullerton. Winsdor is a really good starter as is Ricky Romero. Then Suzuki is a stud catcher and they just play great team baseball.

rarely does a freshman come in and contribute as a starter, unless their is a need.

I think he'll still be pretty good. Like Jason said, most guys don't come in right away as freshman and contribute as a starter. I still wish we would have signed him, but whatever. Also, two other guys that I really wanted to sign from last years draft were Wes Hodges and Donald Veal. Hodges had a pretty solid year at Georgia Tech this year, hitting over .300 while playing pretty good defense at 3B. I didn't bother to look up how Veal did this year, but he's pretty darn good, so if he didn't contribute much this year, he will next year.

I think he'll still be pretty good.  Like Jason said, most guys don't come in right away as freshman and contribute as a starter.  I still wish we would have signed him, but whatever.  Also, two other guys that I really wanted to sign from last years draft were Wes Hodges and Donald Veal.  Hodges had a pretty solid year at Georgia Tech this year, hitting over .300 while playing pretty good defense at 3B.  I didn't bother to look up how Veal did this year, but he's pretty darn good, so if he didn't contribute much this year, he will next year.

It just makes me wonder why Moviel only pitched 10 innings all year. Vandy is a nice team and the SEC is a great league, but they finished 7th in that league. Surely, if the kid was that good (his ERA was 1.74) they would have found room for him out of the bullpen at least. He barely pitched at all during the SEC season. I wonder if there was an injury involved.

I sure hope for Moviel's sake, he didn't have an injury. He a good pitcher and it would suck to see him have an injury so early in his career. Of course, if the injury wasn't arm related, that's definitely not as bad.

I'm watching Long Beach State vs. Arizona Game 1. LBSU looks like an average-good team with Jered Weaver. He leaves with a 5-2 lead in the 8th and now it's 6-5 Arizona in the 9th. I'm rooting for Zona for the simple reason that Brian Anderson went there. The freaky thing is LBSU has a pitcher named Brian Anderson, and he pitched in the game.

Thoughts on Weaver even though no one asked: He has good stuff, but Arizona's hitters were chasing stuff way out of the zone. Once he faces patient hitters his walks should sky rocket and his Ks will dramatically fall. Overall I thought he isn't ready for the bigs like the announcers were saying. Then again they were annoying the hell out of me by kissing his ass.

n Weaver even though no one asked: He has good stuff, but Arizona's hitters were chasing stuff way out of the zone. Once he faces patient hitters his walks should sky rocket and his Ks will dramatically fall. Overall I thought he isn't ready for the bigs like the announcers were saying. Then again they were annoying the hell out of me by kissing his ass.

I was thouroughly unimpressed with weaver also. His delivery, I think, has a lot to do with why he has experienced so much success this season. I would expect him to get lit up if he pitched in a ML game right now.

He did appear more imposing than his brother does, and his slider could really develop into a NASTY pitch. But I agree with dan, maybe it was just the Arizona batters, but they seemed to be getting themselves out.

Well the CWS field is set...... anyone notice there are 4 SEC teams out of the 8 team field?

I'm not sure how they set the pairings...... if they are seeded or what. But I do know that Texas has to be considered one of the favorites. Their dismantling of Vanderbilt was quite impressive. Vandy was hot and had a solid club.