Extension takes Knight out of OSU Picture

Knight agrees to stay through 2009

LUBBOCK, Texas -- Bob Knight agreed to a three-year contract extension that will keep the basketball coach at Texas Tech until 2009.

Athletic director Gerald Myers told The Associated Press on Wednesday the agreement probably will be signed next week. Knight's contract pays him $250,000 a year and runs through May 2006.

Knight needs 48 victories to overtake Dean Smith (879) as the winningest coach in Division I. He has led Texas Tech to three consecutive season of at least 20 wins and taken the Red Raiders to postseason play each year.

"I'm pleased with the direction of our program," Myers said. "He's done a great job turning everything around. I think the future really looks good for us."

Knight is on vacation in Canada and was unavailable to comment Wednesday.

"I look forward to doing this a long time," Knight said in Wednesday's edition of the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal. "This is the best possible situation for me as long as I coach."

He will begin his fourth season at Tech -- his 39th overall -- with 832 wins. He is the victory leader among active coaches following the retirement of Jim Phelan of Mount St. Mary's in 2003.

Knight was hired by Texas Tech in 2001, six months after he was fired by Indiana for what then-school president Myles Brand called his "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

Knight has acknowledged that he is working on his temper, though there have been a couple of incidents. In February, he was reprimanded for a loud public outburst at the university's chancellor. In 2002, Knight and the general manager of the Compaq Center in Houston exchanged words after Knight complained about the facility.

On the court, Knight has led the Red Raiders to three consecutive seasons of at least 20 wins and postseason appearances -- a feat never before achieved at the school. Before his arrival, Tech hadn't had a winning season in four years. Tech is 68-33 under Knight.

Knight's current five-year contract is worth $4.5 million. In addition to the $250,000 in base pay, he was given $150,000 in deferred annual income and $500,000 in guaranteed outside income through May 2006.

Near the end of his second season at Tech, Knight announced he was returning his salary because he hadn't done a very good job, and neither had his team.

He also turned down his salary his first season at Tech but for a different reason. Citing his gratitude for being hired, Knight accepted only the $15,000 needed to qualify for Tech benefits after offering to work for free.

Bump....Maybe not...... :o

Knight would listen if Ohio State called

ESPN.com news services

Texas Tech may not have a lock on coach Bob Knight.

Although Knight agreed to a three-year contract extension that could keep him in Lubbock through 2009, he would listen if Ohio State called about the vacancy created by Jim O'Brien's firing, ESPN.com's Andy Katz reports.

Influential people in the basketball community have called Ohio State on Knight's behalf, but not at his urging, Katz reports. Knight was born in Massillon, Ohio, and played at Ohio State (1958-62).

It's unclear whether Ohio State is interested in Knight. The Buckeyes' list includes Xavier's Thad Matta, Marquette's Tom Crean, Rutgers' Gary Waters, and N.C. State's Herb Sendek, Katz reports. Ohio State hasn't started contacting potential replacements.

Texas Tech athletic director Gerald Myers told The Associated Press last Wednesday that the extension with Knight probably would be signed this week. Knight's contract pays him $250,000 a year and runs through May 2006.

Knight needs 48 victories to overtake Dean Smith (879) as the winningest coach in Division I.

"I look forward to doing this a long time," Knight told the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal last week. "This is the best possible situation for me as long as I coach."

He will begin his fourth season at Tech -- his 39th overall -- with 832 wins. He is the victory leader among active coaches following the retirement of Jim Phelan of Mount St. Mary's in 2003.

Knight was hired by Texas Tech in 2001, six months after he was fired by Indiana for what then-school president Myles Brand called his "pattern of unacceptable behavior."

On the court, Knight has led the Red Raiders to three consecutive seasons of at least 20 wins and postseason appearances -- a feat never before achieved at the school. Before his arrival, Tech hadn't had a winning season in four years. Tech is 68-33 under Knight.

Knight's current five-year contract is worth $4.5 million. In addition to the $250,000 in base pay, he was given $150,000 in deferred annual income and $500,000 in guaranteed outside income through May 2006.

• 2 weeks later...

One last bump....

Knight Not Being Considered to Coach at Ohio State

Buckeye Alumni Will Stay at Texas Tech

LUBBOCK, Texas (June 24) -- Scratch Bob Knight's name from the list of candidates for the Ohio State coaching job.

The Texas Tech coach released a statement Thursday night saying he's been told that his alma mater won't be considering him.

"Last night, a friend of mine from Columbus called me to say that the athletic director had decided not to discuss the vacancy with me," Knight said. "Therefore, there was no need for me to consider it."

The Buckeyes are looking for a replacement for Jim O'Brien, fired June 8 after athletic director Andy Geiger said the coach admitted giving $6,000 to a recruit in 1999.

Knight agreed earlier this month to a three-year extension of his contract with the Red Raiders, which would keep him at Tech until 2009. Nonetheless, his name was linked because of his ties to the Buckeyes.

"During the past two weeks, I have called no one nor initiated any inquiries about the basketball coaching position at Ohio State," Knight said. "However, several people in Columbus and in Ohio have called to ask if I would be willing to take the job."

Knight, who won three national championships at Indiana, has led Texas Tech to three straight seasons of at least 20 wins. At 832-323, he is 48 victories shy of Dean Smith's mark as the winningest coach in Division I.