Uribe and the All-Star Game

HuskyCaucasian

Gammons said on Basbeall tonight that Uribe should be the starting second baseman in the all-star game. I dont agree with Gammons often, but I think he got one right.

It won't happen though. ;)

Gammons said on Basbeall tonight that Uribe should be the starting second baseman in the all-star game. I dont agree with Gammons often, but I think he got one right.

Ronnie Belliard is starting to fade, is inferior to Uribe in every way and plays for a losing team.

Soriano is not having a "Soriano" season at the plate or on the base-paths, and his defense still sucks, albeit not as much as it used to. Texas should be under .500 by the time July 10th rolls around.

Roider McBatflipper over in Seattle has no range or speed left, and .220 with no power is just that.

Harris still has an outside shot, but since he refuses to steal bases all of the sudden and is mostly a CF now....unless his OBP explodes into 400's and he swipes 15-20 more bags before the break......It will be tough to edge Juan.

So Gammons is basically right.....I told you not to underestimate BabyBarroa cuz BabyBerroa will f***in' kill you. :snr

As of today, no doubt Uribe should start but we all know he will not only not start but I bet he will not even be selected

Joe Torre has always had a problem selecting White Sox players....I am still seething over the Frank Thomas non-selection quite a few times recently (including last year)

As of today, no doubt Uribe should start but we all know he will not only not start but I bet he will not even be selected

Joe Torre has always had a problem selecting White Sox players....I am still seething over the Frank Thomas non-selection quite a few times recently (including last year)

Well the snub of last year is Mike Scioscia's doing.

Uribe deserves it no doubt, but I can't see him gettin enough votes. Mark Bellhorn will get a lot from the Boston faithful no doubt and Soriano is the other big worry. It'll prob come down to one of those 3.

I say by the end of the season, Miles stats are comparable to Uribe's. if not better.

Highly unlikely. I do think Uribe will regress as the season goes on, but I also think you are overrating Miles. I have not been impressed with what I have seen of Miles both in the minors or majors. I would bet that Uribe and Miles have similar BA, but thats about it. Miles has almost no power. Not enough Coors will help him put up power numbers similar to Uribe. I would even bet that Miles might not surpass the 24 extra base hits that Uribe already has(Miles has 9 extra base hits in 133 AB, which is pretty pathetic in a place like Coors). Miles will probably have fewer strikeouts than Uribe, but he might not even draw more walks than Uribe currently has(18). Miles has 4 walks in 133 AB's, which is down right pathetic. I also doubt that Miles tops Uribe in SB. Miles has never been a big SB guy and it is a bit surprising that he even has 4 SB this season, but I doubt he tops double digits. I think Uribe could have double digit SB by the AS break(currently has 7). Finally you have defense. Miles is average at best defensively, while Uribe is well above average and has made many web gem calibur plays with few errors. Did I forget to mention that Uribe is 3 years younger and has more time/room for development? I don't think the comparison will be even close. Rex, you are drasticly overrating Miles. I will stick to my TonyG comparison until Miles proves me wrong. They are almost identical(hit for a good average, little power, no plate disipline, average speed at best, and average D at best). Miles will be a utility infielder like TonyG before to long. This was a one-sided trade even if you are a big fan of Miles(coughRexcough).

I say by the end of the season, Miles stats are comparable to Uribe's. if not better.

Is Luiz Gonzalez still beating him out for playing time in Colorado Rex? I dunno if Miles is suited to leading off either. ;)

Highly unlikely. I do think Uribe will regress as the season goes on, but I also think you are overrating Miles. I have not been impressed with what I have seen of Miles both in the minors or majors. I would bet that Uribe and Miles have similar BA, but thats about it. Miles has almost no power. Not enough Coors will help him put up power numbers similar to Uribe. I would even bet that Miles might not surpass the 24 extra base hits that Uribe already has(Miles has 9 extra base hits in 133 AB, which is pretty pathetic in a place like Coors). Miles will probably have fewer strikeouts than Uribe, but he might not even draw more walks than Uribe currently has(18). Miles has 4 walks in 133 AB's, which is down right pathetic. I also doubt that Miles tops Uribe in SB. Miles has never been a big SB guy and it is a bit surprising that he even has 4 SB this season, but I doubt he tops double digits. I think Uribe could have double digit SB by the AS break(currently has 7). Finally you have defense. Miles is average at best defensively, while Uribe is well above average and has made many web gem calibur plays with few errors. Did I forget to mention that Uribe is 3 years younger and has more time/room for development? I don't think the comparison will be even close. Rex, you are drasticly overrating Miles. I will stick to my TonyG comparison until Miles proves me wrong. They are almost identical(hit for a good average, little power, no plate disipline, average speed at best, and  average D at best). Miles will be a utility infielder like TonyG before to long. This was a one-sided trade even if you are a big fan of Miles(coughRexcough).

Agreed :headbang

Mark Bellhorn will get a lot from the Boston faithful

Crap I just noticed he had a nice streak and is now gonna right up there.

Hopefully he goes really cold - his speed is mediocre and D below average, so as long as he is not ahead of Willie/Uribe offesnively, he doesn't deserve to go.

Speaking of deserved....I realize that lemmings who vote on these things will never allow Willie within a canon shot of ASG and Uribe might end up being snobbed as well. Just watch, Garciaparra makes it over Carlos Guillen......So f*** 'em.

Highly unlikely. I do think Uribe will regress as the season goes on, but I also think you are overrating Miles. I have not been impressed with what I have seen of Miles both in the minors or majors. I would bet that Uribe and Miles have similar BA, but thats about it. Miles has almost no power. Not enough Coors will help him put up power numbers similar to Uribe. I would even bet that Miles might not surpass the 24 extra base hits that Uribe already has(Miles has 9 extra base hits in 133 AB, which is pretty pathetic in a place like Coors). Miles will probably have fewer strikeouts than Uribe, but he might not even draw more walks than Uribe currently has(18). Miles has 4 walks in 133 AB's, which is down right pathetic. I also doubt that Miles tops Uribe in SB. Miles has never been a big SB guy and it is a bit surprising that he even has 4 SB this season, but I doubt he tops double digits. I think Uribe could have double digit SB by the AS break(currently has 7). Finally you have defense. Miles is average at best defensively, while Uribe is well above average and has made many web gem calibur plays with few errors. Did I forget to mention that Uribe is 3 years younger and has more time/room for development? I don't think the comparison will be even close. Rex, you are drasticly overrating Miles. I will stick to my TonyG comparison until Miles proves me wrong. They are almost identical(hit for a good average, little power, no plate disipline, average speed at best, and  average D at best). Miles will be a utility infielder like TonyG before to long. This was a one-sided trade even if you are a big fan of Miles(coughRexcough).

I am not overrating Miles at all... If anything, I am saying Uribe will come back to earth.

I used the word comparable for a reason. There are certainly areas where Uribe will do better than Miles. I just have a hunch when all is said and done, there will not be that much separation between the two players.

And for the record, I thought from day one and still think today that the Miles-Uribe trade was a great one for the Sox. Even if they were the same player offensively, Uribe provided flexibility on defense Miles could not. The trade for Miles was also good for him, as it gave him an opportunity he deserved since Kenny made the choice of Harris over him.

Lastly, I have always said that long term, Miles would likely end up as a backup infielder (ala Tony G.) but I felt in the short-term, if given the opportunity he could hold his own as a starter. I liken him to Frank Menechino in some ways.

It sounds to me that we don't disagree as much as you think. :D

Is Luiz Gonzalez still beating him out for playing time in Colorado Rex? I dunno if Miles is suited to leading off either.  ;)

No, Miles has been playing every day since his recall from AAA. He has been hot since his return, hitting at a .419 clip in June since his recall. He'll come back to earth, but so will Uribe.

Crap I just noticed he had a nice streak and is now gonna right up there.   

Hopefully he goes really cold - his speed is mediocre and D below average, so as long as he is not ahead of Willie/Uribe offesnively, he doesn't deserve to go.

Speaking of deserved....I realize that lemmings who vote on these things will never allow Willie within a canon shot of ASG and Uribe might end up being snobbed as well. Just watch, Garciaparra makes it over Carlos Guillen......So f*** 'em.

yea, he's gotten his average up all the to 265, he still is tops in the league in walks and on base percentage, hes also got about 35 rbis. Bellhorn could very well be the starting second baseman at the all-star game.

come back to earth, but so will Uribe.

No, Rex, he won't.

Unless you consider 340 OBP, 490 Slug, good D and good speed at 350 K "coming back to earth".

If anything, as Maggs returns and Frank goes into his typical June-August tear, and as Willie starts terrorizing pitchers on the pads in front of him, pitchers could ill-afford to throw breaking pitches in the dirt as much.

As long as Juan doesn't fall in love with pulling the ball at all times as his infield partner did, he'll be ok.

Miles? Mediocre wheels, below-average glove and a mediocre ML bat. Will be in AAA 6 weeks from now.

he still is tops in the league in walks and on base percentage

No he's not.

Considering you're both a White and Red Sox fan, it's a shame that you don't know that Frank Thomas leads the league in walks and OBP(52 and .465 respectively).

Bellhorn is 2nd in walks(45), but way down in OBP(his OBP is .395...15th best in the AL).

And they both dwarf in comparison to Bonds(82 BB's, .628 Obp).