Bobby Abreu

BrandoFan

Along with Garret Anderson, this guy has been highly underrated in the last 2-3 years. He is every bit as good and probably even a little better than Magglio IMO. And he is not asking for 15 Mill a year.

But the thing that suprised me is that he is 12 for 12 in steals. 30yo, 215-pound slugger is not supposed to be out-stealing Willie Harris - which is why I want Willie to be running more and better. :headbang

Is there any chance if Sox don't re-sign Maggs, Abreu ends up in black and white at some point? Not sure what the conracts situ is.

Along with Garret Anderson, this guy has been highly underrated in the last 2-3 years.    He is every bit as good and probably even a little better than Magglio IMO. And he is not asking for 15 Mill a year.

But the thing that suprised me is that he is 12 for 12 in steals. 30yo, 215-pound slugger is not supposed to be out-stealing Willie Harris - which is why I want Willie to be running more and better. :headbang

Is there any chance if Sox don't re-sign Maggs, Abreu ends up in black and white at some point? Not sure what the conracts situ is.

Abreu better than Maggs? BIG FAT YAWNNNNNNN!!!

Along with Garret Anderson, this guy has been highly underrated in the last 2-3 years.

The only reason I might disagree with that is because for the last 2-3 years he's always appeared on every baseball wonk's "Most Underrated" list. So does Garret, and Mags for that matter.

He is every bit as good and probably even a little better than Magglio IMO.

I don't think, IMO, that's there's any doubt he's better than Maggs.

And he is not asking for 15 Mill a year.

Not yet. He's making $10.6 million this season, but I don't know how many years his current contact has left on it.

Some things aren't worth going into detail.  Abreu is good.  No doubt about it.  But he's in no way shape or form BETTER than,  Maggs.  Magglio is 1 hr and 1 rbi short of .300,  30 hr's,  100 rbi's in 5 straight years.  Get back to me when Abreu does that.

I believe he was trying to get at that if we cannot resign Maggs, Abreu may be a guy we should look at trying to get or perhaps pulling a sign-and-trade sort of deal for Maggs. Both are great RF.

However, if either Borchard or Reed can transfer their potential to the MLB level, then we need neither and maybe we can instead try a sign-and-trade for a top pitcher or SS.

I believe he was trying to get at that if we cannot resign Maggs, Abreu may be a guy we should look at trying to get or perhaps pulling a sign-and-trade sort of deal for Maggs.  Both are great RF.

However, if either Borchard or Reed can transfer their potential to the MLB level, then we need neither and maybe we can instead try a sign-and-trade for a top pitcher or SS.

I know exactly what he meant. But he did type that "Abreu was every bit as good as Maggs if not better"..I was just stating that I don't agree with that.

Some things aren't worth going into detail.  Abreu is good.  No doubt about it.  But he's in no way shape or form BETTER than,  Maggs.  Magglio is 1 hr and 1 rbi short of .300,  30 hr's,  100 rbi's in 5 straight years.  Get back to me when Abreu does that.

Maggs has a little more power, for sure, but here's how they stack up from 1998-2003:

Abreu OPS -- .927

Mags OPS -- .892

Abreu OBP -- .410

Mags OBP -- .365

Abreu Avg Hr's -- 22

Mags Avg Hr's -- 29

Abreu Avg RBI's -- 90

Mags Avg RBI's -- 109

Abreu Avg SB's -- 27

Mags Avg SB's -- 13(and hasn't hit double digits since 2001)

Can't take the homers away from Maggs, but as far as RBI's go, I think Maggs has played on a much higher-scoring team since 1998 than has Abreu. If you assume that, then Abreu beats Maggs in every other category but Hr's. Abreu is also better defensively, I think by a long-shot.

Maggs has a little more power, for sure, but here's how they stack up from 1998-2003:

Abreu OPS -- .927

Mags OPS -- .892

Abreu OBP -- .410

Mags OBP -- .365

Abreu Avg Hr's -- 22

Mags Avg Hr's -- 29

Abreu Avg RBI's -- 90

Mags Avg RBI's -- 109

Abreu Avg SB's -- 27

Mags Avg SB's -- 13(and hasn't hit double digits since 2001)

Can't take the homers away from Maggs, but as far as RBI's go, I think Maggs has played on a much higher-scoring team since 1998 than has Abreu.  If you assume that, then Abreu beats Maggs in every other category but Hr's.  Abreu is also better defensively, I think by a long-shot.

I'm goin by the last 5 years. 99-2003. Maggs has hit more hr's and knocked in more runs. Has hit for a better batting average. I guess ops is pretty even. Abreu steals more bases. But it's not like the Sox have been built to run the last 5 years. They're pretty much the same defensively. Like I said..Abreu is good. But not better.

1999-2004 OPS:

Magglio - 915

Abreu - 940

1999-2004 Stolen Bases:

Magglio - 72

Abreu - 156

1999-2004 GIDP:

Magglio - 111

Abreu - 65

1999-2004 Range:

Magglio - good (not great)

Abreu - good (not great)

1999-2004 Arm

Magglio - good

Abreu - very good

2004 Salary

Magglio - 14 M

Abreu - 10 M

Yeah I would say Abreu has been EASILY as good as Maggs in the last 5 years. Have a nice day.

1999-2004 OPS:

Magglio - 915

Abreu - 940

1999-2004 Stolen Bases

Magglio - 72

Abreu -  156

1999-2004 GIDP:

Magglio - 111

Abreu - 65

1999-2004  Range:

Magglio - good (not great)

Abreu - good  (not great)

1999-2004 Arm

Magglio  - good

Abreu - very good

2004 Salary

Magglio - 14 M

Abreu - 10 M

Yeah I would say Abreu has been EASILY as good as Maggs in the last 5 years. Have a nice day.

The ONLY thing i'll give you is the stolen bases. And like I said in an earlier post..It's not like AMERICAN league teams are built to run. If Maggs had the green-light..He could steal 25-30 bases a year easily. As far as the double plays. Well that's White Sox baseball at it's best. And as far as 2004 stats go. Maggs has been hurt and missed about 15 gms already. So that argument is dead. From 99-2003 Maggs has been better..Thank you for your time.

1999-2004 Arm

Magglio  - good

Abreu - very good

I dunno, Maggs has got a great arm.

But I think Abreu may be a better player for "Ozzie Ball." Better defensively, can put pressure on running the bases, etc.

abreu has been better, is better now, and will most likely continue to be better than maggs. and that is not even taking into consideration he is left-handed and makes less $$.

but there is no point arguing this on a white sox board.

Boy talk about full of s***.....

The ONLY thing i'll give you is the stolen bases

I am not asking you to "give" me anything, dope. Reality speaks for itself. Next time don't spout off about a player's "obvious" superiority without checking stats first.

It's not like AMERICAN league teams are built to run.

Bulls*** is getting deeper. Crawford, Beltran, A-Rod, Soriano, Durham, Jeter, Damon and MANY others seem to be running just fine.

If Maggs had the green-light..He could steal 25-30 bases a year easily. 

Yes and he would get CAUGHT 15-20 times just as easily. The reason why he stopped getting greenlight in 2000's was because he RAN HIMSELF INTO TOO MANY OUTS as he got heavier and slower and more complacent with his jumps. Duh.

Not that your "wouldas" haver anything to do with reality.....Abreu ran Magglio off the bases and that's the bottomline.

As far as the double plays.  Well that's White Sox baseball at it's best.

Huh, what the f*** are talking about? Magglio created 9 EXTRA outs per year in the last 5 years because of DP hit into. It's a fact. In order to adjust their respective overall production for those extra GIDP, you either have to give Magglio 9 errors per year, or take away 9 of his singles a year, or give Abreu 9 extra singles, etc.....

And as far as 2004 stats go.  Maggs has been hurt and missed about 15 gms already.  So that argument is dead. 

Yeah, about as dead as your brain. The most important offensive stat, OPS, is unaffected by the amount of games played and Maggs has only missed a couple of weeks.

From 99-2003 Maggs has been better..

Only in your ignorant, Magglio-loving world.

I dunno, Maggs has got a great arm.

Magglio's arm has been HIGHLY overrated in the last 2 years. It's gotten to a point where everybody was running on him last year. Abreu doesn't throw as well as he used to, but his arm has always been better than Maggs's.

He’s been hitting our starting pitchers pretty hard. All I see from this guy (these past two days) is HR’s. Schoeneweis has to be careful because Abreu isn’t afraid to hit one out of the ballpark.

But the thing that suprised me is that he is 12 for 12 in steals.

Damn... that is impressive.

If both make equal amounts of money, I still take Abreu over Maggs.

Maggs has a higher ceiling, but at 30yo he is running out of time to prove that he is a 1st ballot HOF talent. Fact is, Abreu has been EASILY as good as Maggs in the last 5 years. I am being generous.

Maggs has a higher ceiling, but at 30yo he is running out of time to prove that he is a 1st ballot HOF talent.    Fact is, Abreu has been EASILY as good as Maggs in the last 5 years.  I am being generous.

You mean the high ceiling we saw glimpses of in 2002?

I'm goin by the last 5 years.  99-2003.  Maggs has hit more hr's and knocked in more runs.  Has hit for a better batting average.  I guess ops is pretty even.  Abreu steals more bases.  But it's not like the Sox have been built to run the last 5 years.  They're pretty much the same defensively.  Like I said..Abreu is good.  But not better.

That chick in your signature looks like she's straight outta the Trailer Park, mang. But she still has all of her teeth. :lol:

I'm still waiting for the day when someone inserts a pic of a REAL WOMAN in their avatar or signature. You guys are all child molesters.

Along with Garret Anderson, this guy has been highly underrated in the last 2-3 years.    He is every bit as good and probably even a little better than Magglio IMO. And he is not asking for 15 Mill a year.

Darn, Gotta Agree with ya :lol:

Abreu is a good solid player so is Garrett "Mr.Doubles" Anderson