Brave little boy who deserves our prayers

Texsox

6 Year on life support after saving the live of 5 year old.

What a brave young man. May God keep this special kid in his hands and nurse him through this.

CHICAGO RIDGE, Illinois (AP) -- Six-year-old Donnie Hauser-Richerme knew he couldn't swim, but he also knew the little girl in the murky, debris-filled swimming pool was in trouble.

Donnie jumped in and helped save 5-year-old Karah Moran's life before becoming stuck in five feet of blackened rain water and muck at the bottom of the deep end.

Paramedics eventually rescued him, but he was in critical condition and on life support Thursday.

Karah called Donnie "my hero."

"I can't say enough about this little guy," said Chicago Ridge Police Chief Tim Baldermann. "It's amazing that this little kid, old enough to understand it's a dangerous situation, was so brave. Without thinking about himself he instinctively jumped in to help his friend."

The rescue happened Monday as Karah, Donnie, and his 4-year-old brother explored the apartment complex where their families live. Karah, who was visiting her grandmother at the complex, knew the location of an empty swimming pool on the grounds.

"She wanted to show the pool," said Karah's aunt, Bernadette Choate. "She didn't expect the gate to be unlocked."

A maintenance worker had been sent out to the pool that day to do some work, Baldermann said. Faced with a locked gate and no key, the worker cut the lock to get in. He wrapped a chain around the gate and left, but the children were able to remove the chain and get inside.

Karah either climbed or fell into the pool's shallow end, where there wasn't any water. But the bottom was slick with dead leaves and algae, causing her to slide down into the muck-covered deep end.

Donnie jumped into the shallow end and reached toward his friend to try to pull her to safety. But Karah weighs about 10 pounds more than Donnie, and between the weight and the slick surface, the boy slipped and both ended up in the water.

Karah's mother, Melany Moran, said her daughter told her that as the two were struggling in the water, Donnie helped her reach the ladder.

As somebody called 911, adults hurried to the pool area, but the water was so filthy, so filled with debris, that they couldn't see Donnie. Another maintenance man, Andre Mitchell, said he poked the water with a long aluminum pole used to clean pools but turned up nothing.

By the time the paramedics found Donnie, he had been under water anywhere from five to 20 minutes, Baldermann said.

He said prosecutors decided not to file charges against the owner of the complex after learning the maintenance man had cut the lock.

Melany Moran said she is worried about her daughter and plans on getting her into counseling "when this all dies down."

"Last night she had a nightmare," she said. "She was screaming, 'Help me, help me."

On a somewhat related note, Why do people take thier shoes off before going into the water to rescue someone.

I say this becuase the women who was first to arrive on scene, took off her shoes before getting into the water to help.

Was she thinking, "He looks like he's doing fine there. a few seconds in this life or death situation aren't going to matter. Plus, these are damn nice kicks, and have you seen what water can do to suede."

Also when a person commits suicide by jumping off a bridge, they almost always take off thier shoes first. WhY?

On a somewhat related note, Why do people take thier shoes off before going into the water to rescue someone.

I say this becuase the women who was first to arrive on scene, took off her shoes before getting into the water to help.

Was she thinking, "He looks like he's doing fine there. a few seconds in this life or death situation aren't going to matter.  Plus, these are damn nice kicks, and have you seen what water can do to suede."

Also when a person commits suicide by jumping off a bridge, they almost always take off thier shoes first.  WhY?

Cheat, interesting that you asked. I was just teaching Water Safety to my new Boy Scouts last night and reviewing water rescue technics and protocols. Most people start with what should be the last resort.

Option 1. Reach.

Lay on your belly and reach with an arm, leg, stick, chair, whatever.

Option 2. Throw

Toss something that floats. If you have a rope, toss it past them and scoop them in.

Option 3. Row

If a boat, raft, canoe, etc. is available go out there and try to reach with object, thrown, etc.

Option 4. Go with equipment

Grab a rope, oar, anything handy so that the person panicking in the water doesn't grab you.

Option 5. Go all by yourself. If you are wearing any clothes that may limit your ability to swim and tred water (heavy boots, high heels, parka, etc. take the time and remove them or you'll get in trouble and not help the person.

And, always look for your personal safety. Don't over estimate your abilities and cause two rescues or worse.

Cheat, interesting that you asked. I was just teaching Water Safety to my new Boy Scouts last night and reviewing water rescue technics and protocols. Most people start with what should be the last resort.

I guess I didn't learn anything in scouts. I quit service hours short of Life.(too many other obligations at that time)

I've helped save two different people, and have been rescued once myself.

Once was as a life guard and involved a head injury, I wasn't thinking about taking off what little clothing I was wearing. The other was while at a waterpark, and I didn't have to worry about my clothing.

The one time I was rescued, I had fallen through the ice, and the only way to get me was by branches, considering I only weighed about 60 pounds at the time, If I fell through the ice, everyone else would as well.

I guess I didn't learn anything in scouts.  I quit service hours short of Life.(too many other obligations at that time)

I've helped save two different people, and have been rescued once myself.

Once was as a life guard and involved a head injury, I wasn't thinking about taking off what little clothing I was wearing.  The other was while at a waterpark, and I didn't have to worry about my clothing.

The one time I was rescued, I had fallen through the ice, and the only way to get me was by branches, considering I only weighed about 60 pounds at the time, If I fell through the ice, everyone else would as well.

Most of the time, people are doing what you described, removing a t-shirt or something stupid. I think they remove shoes because they see it in movies. The brave leading man, takes off his shoes, removes his shirt, and makes a perfect dive into the water.

I try and get all my Scouts at least once a year to review and help teach the new Scouts. Being it is also a nice pool party on a very hot night, it helps.

I went through the ice on Bangs Lake in Wauconda when I went brain dead for a few minutes. All my outdoor experience and I basically out thought myself into a potentially serious situation.

I try and get all my Scouts at least once a year to review and help teach the new Scouts. Being it is also a nice pool party on a very hot night, it helps.

I went through the ice on Bangs Lake in Wauconda when I went brain dead for a few minutes. All my outdoor experience and I basically out thought myself into a potentially serious situation.

If any of your scouts participate in Lifesaving classes, one of the requirements is for the individual to jump into the water with full apparel on; which includes pants, shirts, shoes. Purpose of the activity was to create a floatation device in the event you're ever in a situation where a lifevest isn't readily available. I remember an instructor told me never to take off clothing: first, because the clothing can provide your body with warmth, and secondly (as I pointed out) your shirt could be used as a lifevest.

Several hours from Chicago there is a scout reservation called Owasippe, which is near Grand Rapids, Michigan. For many years our troop drove down for two weeks to entake in activities/merit badge clinics. As I inched closer to Eagle I began to lose interest in the camp, though I admit it was good times. If there is some sort of camp near Texas I would recommend accompanying your kids for a week (or two.)

If any of your scouts participate in Lifesaving classes, one of the requirements is for the individual to jump into the water with full apparel on; which includes pants, shirts, shoes.  Purpose of the activity was to create a floatation device in the event you're ever in a situation where a lifevest isn't readily available.  I remember an instructor told me never to take off clothing: first, because the clothing can provide your body with warmth, and secondly (as I pointed out) your shirt could be used as a lifevest.

Several hours from Chicago there is a scout reservation called Owasippe, which is near Grand Rapids, Michigan.  For many years our troop drove down for two weeks to entake in activities/merit badge clinics.  As I inched closer to Eagle I began to lose interest in the camp, though I admit it was good times.  If there is some sort of camp near Texas I would recommend accompanying your kids for a week (or two.)

The jump in with your clothing was a requirement for 1st Class but they recently moved it to the Swimming Merit Badge. I thought it was a great life skill in case you ever accidentaly fell in.

The last couple of years we have attended Buffalo Trails Scout Ranch in the Davis Mountains of West Texas (about a 600 mile drive for us). We have about 20 to 25 Scout camps in Texas. My COuncil owns Camp Perry the oldest continousilty operated Scout camp in Texas 77 Years Young.

Owasippe is in danger of being sold and a private developer taking over. The Professionals in the Chicago Area Council, which surprisenly own the property, were trying to sell it and the volunteers were trying to raise $$Millions to save it. It is a key place in OA history, I hope it can be saved.

The clothes reference I made was to a winter type parks, which, when wet, would not be helpful. Shirts, pants, etc. are very helpful.

Really tragic - I can't even comprehend it. And sadly, unless it is ice-cold water and the thermal shock triggers a bradycardic (slowed metabolism) response, there is practically no chance of coming out without severe brain damage after more than 5 minutes.

That said, WHAT THE f***!! The mother of the girl that the poor kid saved is mostly worried about 'getting her into counseling when this all dies down'??!! When exactly is it going to "die down" for the kid or the family of the kid that is the sole reason your daughter is alive??

Not that the boy's parents are much better (though no parent should have to go through this). Why does a 6, 5, and 4-year old have free reign in that apartment complex anyway? It's bulls*** latchkey non-parenting, and a 6 year old (who is very much a hero) is going to be brain-damaged, brain-dead, or worse because of it.

My thoughts are with this boy.

The jump in with your clothing was a requirement for 1st Class but they recently moved it to the Swimming Merit Badge. I thought it was a great life skill in case you ever accidentaly fell in.

The last couple of years we have attended Buffalo Trails Scout Ranch in the Davis Mountains of West Texas (about a 600 mile drive for us). We have about 20 to 25 Scout camps in Texas. My COuncil owns Camp Perry the oldest continousilty operated Scout camp in Texas 77 Years Young.

Owasippe is in danger of being sold and a private developer taking over. The Professionals in the Chicago Area Council, which surprisenly own the property, were trying to sell it and the volunteers were trying to raise $$Millions to save it. It is a key place in OA history, I hope it can be saved.

The clothes reference I made was to a winter type parks, which, when wet, would not be helpful. Shirts, pants, etc. are very helpful.

That would suck if Owasippe gets sold. I've never been there but I remember wanting to go there as a kid. The scout camp near Michigan City, To Pe Ne Bee almost got sold about 10 years ago. It was a summer camp that closed in 1973 when two councils merged.... I about grew up there - I remember doing a lot of work to keep up the camp when the council stopped funding upkeep.

That would suck if Owasippe gets sold. I've never been there but I remember wanting to go there as a kid. The scout camp near Michigan City, To Pe Ne Bee almost got sold about 10 years ago. It was a summer camp that closed in 1973 when two councils merged.... I about grew up there - I remember doing a lot of work to keep up the camp when the council stopped funding upkeep.

One of the central issues over Owasippe is usage. Being so far from the Council, not many Troops used it. Most Council properties are within the boundaries of the Council.

Not that the boy's parents are much better (though no parent should have to go through this).  Why does a 6, 5, and 4-year old have free reign in that apartment complex anyway?  It's bulls*** latchkey non-parenting, and a 6 year old (who is very much a hero) is going to be brain-damaged, brain-dead, or worse because of it.

My thoughts are with this boy.

I live just a few miles from there. I have the same question - why on God's green earth are a 6, 5 and a 4 year old alone?! A 6 year old is NOT old enough to watch himself much less 2 younger children.

I pray he fully recovers...but from what's been posted and reported, the chances are slim...