Wright To Try Out For National Team

Wright Will Try Out For U.S. Team

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. -- Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright is one of 24 student-athletes who will compete for a spot on the 2004 USA Basketball World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team, USA Basketball announced today. Athletes eligible for selection to this age-based team include any male who is a U.S. citizen and is 20-years-old or younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 1984). The USA Basketball Men's Collegiate Committee, chaired by former Virginia Athletics Director Terry Holland, selected the invitees and will choose the final 12-man roster at the 2004 USA National Team Trials and training camp July 16-23 in East Rutherford, N.J. Oklahoma head coach Kelvin Sampson will direct the U.S. Squad at the 2004 FIBA Americas World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament July 28-Aug. 1 in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. Sampson will be assisted by Marquette's Tom Crean and Minnesota's Dan Monson.

The World Championship For Young Men and its zone qualifying tournaments are held every four years. The U.S. will compete against seven other teams from the Americas for one of the three Americas Zone qualifying berths for the 2005 FIBA World Championships For Young Men, which will be hosted next summer by Argentina. Featuring eight nations divided into two groups of four, the competition schedule includes a preliminary round with round-robin play between teams in each group July 28-30. The top two finishing teams from each group will advance to the July 31 semifinals, with the gold medal game slated for Aug. 1.

An NABC First Team All-District 10 and All-Big Ten Second Team selection as a sophomore, Wright became the 39th member of Indiana's 1,000 career point club when he scored 20 points against Ohio State in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 11. Wright is the 10th player to achieve this feat in 60 games or less, and he is currently 38th on the all-time list with 1,022 career points and ninth on the Hoosiers' career three-pointers list with 136. A finalist for The Rupp Award and The Naismith Award, each honoring the nation's most outstanding player, Wright closed the season ranked third in the league in scoring at 18.5 ppg, the best finish by a Hoosier since Kirk Haston was second in 2000-01. Wright also ranked 16th in the league in rebounding (5.4), ninth in free throw percentage (.789) and third in three-point field goals per game (2.41). Wright scored at least 20 points 12 times as a sophomore, and he hit the 25-point plateau on seven separate occasions.

Among the 24 candidates, 18, including Wright, have considerable USA Basketball experience. Wright participated in the 2002 USA Basketball Junior National Team Trials, and he played a key role for the South team that won the bronze medal at the 2001 USA Basketball Men's Youth Development Festival. Wright averaged 10.4 points, 2.4 rebounds and 1.6 assists during the Festival, highlighted by a 21-point performance in the bronze medal game.

Wright is one of five Big Ten players on the Trials roster. He is joined by Michigan State's Maurice Ager and Shannon Brown, and Illinois' Deron Williams and Dee Brown. Williams and Wright were high school teammates at The Colony, Texas.

After back surgery sidelined Wright for most of last summer, the 6-3 guard is looking to maximize his playing opportunities this July and August.

"My past experience with USA Basketball really helped me grow as a player and a person, and I appreciate the invitation to try out for this team," Wright said. "I have played with and against a lot of the players who will be at the trials, so I know it will be competitive. Our summer conditioning program here is going real well. We're focused on bouncing back next year, and it's important for me to set the example."

Indiana coach Mike Davis is counting on Wright to be the Hoosiers' team leader in 2004-05, and Davis feels that this opportunity could provide the ideal head start.

"This is a big summer for Bracey, and I know he is going to make the most of it," Davis said. "There are a lot of great players trying out for this team, so this is really an honor. We are going to have a lot of talent on our team next season, but we're also going to be young. It's time for Bracey to step up and take the leadership reins."

2004 USA Basketball Men's National Team Trials Roster

Hassan Adams, Arizona

Maurice Ager, Michigan St.

Sean Banks, Memphis

Josh Boone, Connecticut

Aaron Brooks, Oregon

Dee Brown, Illinois

Shannon Brown, Michigan St.

Justin Gray, Wake Forest

Ryan Hollins, UCLA

Sean May, North Carolina

Rashad McCants, North Carolina

Demetris Nichols, Syracuse

David Padgett, TBD

Chris Paul, Wake Forest

J.J. Redick, Duke

Mustafa Shakur, Arizona

Curtis Sumpter, Villanova

P.J. Tucker, Texas

Charlie Villanueva, Connecticut

C.J. Watson, Tennessee

Deron Williams, Illinois

Eric Williams, Wake Forest

Curtis Withers, Charlotte

Bracey Wright, Indiana

Dee and Deron back to run things

From ChicagoSports.com:

University of Illinois guards Dee Brown and Deron Williams and former Proviso East standout Shannon Brown will tryout for the 2004 FIBA World Championship Qualifying Team.

24 players will compete for 12 roster spots and the U.S. team will play in the tournament in Nova Scotia from July 28-Aug. 1. Three teams from the eight-team tournament will advance to the FIBA World Championships in 2005.

The U.S. won the gold medal in the last FIBA Championships in 2001.

Dee Brown and Williams were members of the 2003 Junior World Championship team that went 7-1 and finished fifth. Brown led the team in scoring with an average of 17.3 points.

Greasy, IU should be solid again this year. Depending on how Hardy, Vaden, Ratliff and White fit in, I could see them sneaking up on people for a B10 title. I think Bracey will have an outstanding campaign. And you'll definitely have fun at the games, I know I did when I was there. Hell, you may even run into my sister.

And all of this coming from a Michigan State fan...Who woulda knew?

Greasy, IU should be solid again this year.  Depending on how Hardy, Vaden, Ratliff and White fit in, I could see them sneaking up on people for a B10 title.  I think Bracey will have an outstanding campaign. And you'll definitely have fun at the games, I know I did when I was there.  Hell, you may even run into my sister. 

And all of this coming from a Michigan State fan...Who woulda knew?

I really agree; I feel we're going to surprise people. It's crazy to think that as an IU fan, but we really fell off the radar last year. I wish Smith would have came for at least a season, but I feel strong about the incoming freshman class. Hardy's from Elmhurst HS in-town, and he was just awesome. He set many city records, and that's pretty impressive in Indiana HS basketball land.

I think it's going to be an interesting season in the Big Ten; not everyone's great again. However, I see a great race between MSU, UM, UI, and IU going on this year.

I definitely can't wait for the games; I'm going to go to as many as possible. I understand you only get like 6 games w/ a season pass with the demand, but I'm going to try to make it to more than that. Heck, I'm even going to the football games..... :lol:

Just ask around early on in the dorms, especially with girls. You may be able to snag more tickets. Also, look for trades if you don't end up with the bigger games, etc.

I think there is a website where students post tickets for sale, you'll have to look into that

:bringit IU

• 1 month later...

:headbang

IU's Wright finalist for U.S. team

Indianapolis Star report

July 19, 2004

Indiana University guard Bracey Wright is one of 16 finalists for a roster spot on the 2004 USA Basketball World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team. Following four USA National Team Trials sessions July 16-17, Wright remains in the hunt for one of the 12 roster spots.

USA team finalists will remain in New Jersey for the team's training camp, which will feature two-a-days at the New Jersey Nets practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J. The eventual 12-member squad will be finalized sometime prior to the USA's final New Jersey practice on July 23.

An NABC First Team All-District 10 and All-Big Ten second team selection as a sophomore, Wright became the 39th member of Indiana's 1,000-career point club when he scored 20 points against Ohio State in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament. He is 38th on the all-time list with 1,022 career points and ninth on the Hoosiers' career three-point list with 136.

A finalist for The Rupp Award and The Naismith Award, each honoring the nation's most outstanding player, Wright closed the season ranked third in the league in scoring at 18.5 ppg, the best finish by a Hoosier since Kirk Haston was second in 2000-01. Wright also ranked 16th in the league in rebounding (5.4), ninth in free throw percentage (.789) and third in three-point field goals per game (2.41).

The U.S. team will compete in the 2004 FIBA Americas World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament July 28-Aug. 1.

In addition to Wright, the other finalists include: Hassan Adams (Arizona / Los Angeles, Calif.); Aaron Brooks (Oregon / Seattle, Wash.); Shannon Brown (Michigan State / Maywood, Ill.); Justin Gray (Wake Forest / Charlotte, N.C.); Sean May (North Carolina / Bloomington, Ind.); Rashad McCants (North Carolina / Asheville, N.C.); Adam Morrison (Gonzaga / Spokane, Wash.); David Padgett (Louisville / Reno, Nev.); Chris Paul (Wake Forest / Lewisville, N.C.); Mustafa Shakur (Arizona / Philadelphia, Pa.); Curtis Sumpter (Villanova / Brooklyn, N.Y.); P.J. Tucker (Texas / Raleigh, N.C.); Charlie Villanueva (Connecticut / Brooklyn, N.Y.); Eric Williams (Wake Forest / Wake Forest, N.C.) and Curtis Withers (UNC Charlotte / Charlotte, N.C).

Oklahoma head coach Kelvin Sampson is head coach of Team USA and is being assisted by Tom Crean of Marquette and Dan Monson of the Minnesota.

I won't be around for the final cut, but Bracey made the cut down to 13 people. The final 12 is announced Friday.

Congrats Bracey! :headbang

IU's Wright still in the running

Indianapolis Star report

July 21, 2004

Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright is one of 13 candidates remaining for the 12-member USA Basketball World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team.

The Squad, which has been training since July 16 at the New Jersey Nets practice facility in East Rutherford, N.J, was trimmed from 16 to 13 players today.

In addition to Wright, the other remaining players are Hassan Adams and Mustafa Shakur of Arizona, Shannon Brown of Michigan State, Justin Gray, Eric Williams, and Chris Paul of Wake Forest, Sean May of North Carolina, Adam Morrison of Gonzaga, David Padgett of Louisville, P.J. Tucker of Texas, Charlie Villanueva of Connecticut and Curtis Withers of Charlotte.

The three players who did not make the finalists roster include Aaron Brooks of Oregon, Rashad McCants of North Carolina and Curtis Sumpter of Villanova.

Oklahoma's Kelvin Sampson is coaching the team.

The finalists will remain in New Jersey for the team's training camp. The team will be finalized prior to the final New Jersey practice at on July 23.

The U.S. team will compete July 28-Aug. 1 in Halifax, Canada.

Wright Selected to Team USA

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright was selected to the 12-member 2004 USA Basketball World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team USA Basketball announced on Friday afternoon.

"It was tough," said Wright on the selection process. "Going back and forth, with everything going on and you don't know if you're going to get that knock on your door in the morning. I think a lot of people were relieved a couple of days ago when they cut down to 13. But then there were more cuts. It feels good for everything to finally be over, and we can be focused on winning the gold."

Finalists for the team have trained in New Jersey since July 16 in hopes of making the USA Basketball 20-and-under squad, which will compete in the 2004 FIBA Americas World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament July 28 - Aug. 1. The team will get an early test as it takes on Canada's Young Men's National Team at 2:00 p.m. on Sunday, July 25 in an exhibition contest in Saint John, Canada, before tipping-off tournament play against Venezuela July 28 in Halifax, Canada.

In addition to Wright, the final 12-member 2004 USA Young Men's National Team includes: Hassan Adams (Arizona / Los Angeles, Calif.); Justin Gray (Wake Forest / Charlotte, N.C.); Sean May (North Carolina / Bloomington, Ind.); Adam Morrison (Gonzaga / Spokane, Wash.); David Padgett (*Louisville / Reno, Nev.); Chris Paul (Wake Forest / Lewisville, N.C.); Mustafa Shakur (Arizona / Philadelphia, Pa.); Curtis Sumpter (Villanova / Brooklyn, N.Y.); P.J. Tucker (Texas / Raleigh, N.C.); Charlie Villanueva (Connecticut / Brooklyn, N.Y.) and Curtis Withers (Charlotte / Charlotte, N.C.).

"It's (the team) like a big family," said Wright. "Sometimes you put teams together and don't have that much chemistry. But the thing about this team is that it's one big family. We know each other really well. We talk off the basketball court and stuff like that. I think that's going to help us a lot with everything that goes on on the court, with us trusting one another, I think that's going to really help us."

An NABC First Team All-District 10 and All-Big Ten Second Team selection as a sophomore, Wright became the 39th member of Indiana's 1,000 career point club when he scored 20 points against Ohio State in the first round of the Big Ten Tournament on March 11. Wright is the 10th player to achieve this feat in 60 games or less, and he is currently 38th on the all-time list with 1,022 career points and ninth on the Hoosiers' career three-pointers list with 136.

A finalist for The Rupp Award and The Naismith Award, each honoring the nation's most outstanding player, Wright closed the season ranked third in the league in scoring at 18.5 ppg, the best finish by a Hoosier since Kirk Haston was second in 2000-01. Wright also ranked 16th in the league in rebounding (5.4), ninth in free throw percentage (.789) and third in three-point field goals per game (2.41). Wright scored at least 20 points 12 times as a sophomore, and he hit the 25-point plateau on seven separate occasions.

"This team's greatest improvement will be after our exhibition game," said USA and University of Oklahoma head coach Kelvin Sampson. "We've worked in practice. We haven't worked against another team. You can get your stuff in during practice, but you fix it during games. One of my favorite sayings is, 'what you don't know, you don't know.' And there's a lot I don't know about this team. But playing against Canada on Sunday and scrimmaging against Brazil on Monday will be huge for us."

Sampson is being assisted on the sidelines by collegiate head coaches Tom Crean of Marquette University (Wis.) and Dan Monson of the University of Minnesota.

Continuing its training in Saint John, Canada, on July 24 the U.S. will take on Canada's Young Men's National Team on July 25 in a 2:00 p.m. exhibition game at Harbour Station in Saint John. Tickets for the exhibition game can be purchased at the Harbour Station box office or by calling 800-267-2800 or 506-657-1234 in Canada.

The young American squad will scrimmage Brazil twice in Halifax, Canada, on July 26 and 27, before tipping off play at the 2004 FIBA Americas World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament on July 28 at the Halifax Metro Center. The U.S. will compete against seven other teams from the Americas for one of the three Americas Zone qualifying berths for the 2005 FIBA World Championships For Young Men, which will be hosted next summer by Argentina. Featuring eight nations divided into two groups of four, the competition schedule, which will be released following the July 20 tournament draw, includes a preliminary round with round-robin play between teams in each group July 28-30. The top two finishing teams in each group will advance to the July 31 semifinals and the gold medal will be contested Aug. 1. Tickets for the World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Tournament can be purchased at the Halifax Metro Center box office or by calling the Metro Center box office at 902-451-1221.

The World Championship For Young Men and its zone qualifying tournaments are held every four years. Originally held in 1993 and known as the FIBA 22 And Under World Championship, it was designed for men 22-years-old or younger. FIBA lowered the age eligibility to 21-years-old or younger in December 1998 and changed the competition name to the World Championship For Young Men. The USA has qualified for all three previous World Championship For Young Men tournaments and has compiled a 22-2 overall record while winning gold medals in 1993 and 2001. United States squads have also compiled a 15-2 win-loss record in the three Young Men Qualifiers, winning gold in 1996 and silver in 2000 and 1993.

Information from the USA Basketball website contributed to this story.

Congratulations Bracey! :headbang

The team won the gold medal by defeating Puerto Rico 97-86 last night; Bracey chimed in with 10 of the team's points. :headbang

Wright Scores 10, USA Captures Gold

Halifax, Canada - Indiana junior guard Bracey Wright scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds as his USA World Championship For Young Men Qualifying Team (5-0) fought to the finish in order to polish off Puerto Rico (3-2) 97-86 in the gold medal contest of the FIBA Americas World Sunday night. Wright was one of five U.S. players to scored in double figures as Sean May totaled a team-high 18, Curtis Withers poured in 17, Justin Gray notched 13, and Hassan Adams chipped in 12 points.

The United States has now earned two golds (1996, 2004) and two silvers (1993, 2000) at this qualifying tournament that was first contested in 1993, while compiling an overall 20-2 win-loss record.

"We had to call a couple time outs there to get our focus," said USA and University of Oklahoma head coach Kelvin Sampson, who now boasts a USA Basketball head coaching record of 11-6. "Sometimes a zone will lull you into a false sense of security. But once we started going back inside, we got refocused on defense. We had 51 points at halftime, offense wasn't our problem. Our problem was getting stops. We made some adjustments on (Washington Wizards' Peter) Ramos, he's a great player, but our kids did a lot better job of doubling him and rebounding in the second half. Putting Curtis Withers on him in the second half helped also."

Opening the fourth period strong, and holding a 75-71 edge after three quarters, Adams was the first player to score and Gray lit the lamp for another three, followed by an Adams free throw and with 6:31 before the medal ceremony the United States was back up by 10, 81-71. Puerto Rico took a time out and upon returning to the court, Gabriel Colon was fouled on a basket and collected his bonus, leaving the score 81-74 at 6:18.

Withers was next up to the line and made a traditional 3-point play of his own to pad the USA's lead to 10 at 5:56. With 1:55 to go the United States still held a 10-point margin, 92-82. Paul missed his shot, but Wright grabbed the offensive board, drove the lane and missed his shot. May was there for the rebound and put-back to put his squad up by 12 at 1:13. Puerto Rico was forced into a bad shot selection on the other end and Wright grabbed the carom. He passed it to Adams, who was fouled by Ramos on his attempted dunk with 49 seconds to go. Ramos, who finished the night with a game high 34 points, fouled out of the game at that point. Adams made the back end of his free throws to give the USA a 95-82 upper hand and virtually put the gold medal in the hands of the North Americans. Puerto Rico got a couple of baskets and Adams scored again for the U.S. as it came away with the gold medal.

The United States leapt to an 8-0 lead and by the 7:29 mark held a 12-2 edge to open the gold medal contest. However, in a game of spurts the tide turned and Puerto Rico scored eight unanswered points as its defense forced turnovers and missed shots on the other end. With 5:43 to play in the first quarter Puerto Rico trailed 12-10. It was the USA's turn next and at 3:57 the USA was up by 10 points, 20-10. By the end of the first quarter the USA ran up a 34-21 advantage as eight players scored, including nine from May, six from Chris Paul (Wake Forest / Lewisville, N.C.) and five apiece from P.J. Tucker (Texas / Raleigh, N.C.) and Wright.

Puerto Rico would not go quietly onto the silver medal stand and after the USA went up 38-21 to start the second, the islanders went to work. Upping the defensive pressure, Puerto Rico by the 2:11 mark closed the gap to five, 46-41 and at the half the USA's lead was whittled to 51-47.

The U.S. came out of its locker room inspired. The squad won the tip and Withers was fed a back door pass from Gray at 9:33. Puerto Rico answered with a three to make it 53-50, the closest the islanders would come to their lofty goal, at 8:43. The U.S. shot 2-of-13 from beyond the arc in the first half overall, but on its next two possessions Paul found Gray in the left corner beyond the arc. Withers then nabbed the ball right out of Peter Ramos' hands, ran the length of the court and slammed home two points. Adams was the beneficiary of a U.S. steal on Puerto Rico's next possession and at 7:08 the U.S. seemed to own the game 63-50 at 7:08.

Buckets were swapped over the next four minutes and at 3:10 the United States was still up by 13 points, 73-60. However, Puerto Rico clamped down on the USA's offense and with 1:36 remaining in the third, pulled to within striking distance, 73-69. By the end of three, the U.S. held a slim 75-71 margin.

Argentina (4-1) collected the bronze medal with a 78-70 victory over host Canada (2-3).

The World Championship For Young Men and its zone qualifying tournaments are held every four years. Originally held in 1993 and known as the FIBA 22 And Under World Championship, it was designed for men 22-years-old or younger. FIBA lowered the age eligibility to 21-years-old or younger in December 1998 and changed the competition name to the World Championship For Young Men. The USA has qualified for all three previous World Championship For Young Men tournaments and has compiled a 22-2 overall record, while winning gold medals in 1993 and 2001.

Athletes eligible for selection to this age-based team include any male who is a U.S. citizen and is 20-years-old or younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 1984).

Too bad he had the lowest FG % of anyone on the U.S. team overt the course of the tournament.

:headshake :headshake :headshake

What do you expect from an Illinois fan?

Props to Bracey, I remember I used to see him all over campus his freshman year and he was a pretty good guy. Anyhow, I am looking forward to IU and MSU this year, should be some pretty good matchups between Wright and Chris Hill.

:headshake  :headshake  :headshake

What do you expect from an Illinois fan?

Props to Bracey, I remember I used to see him all over campus his freshman year and he was a pretty good guy.  Anyhow, I am looking forward to IU and MSU this year, should be some pretty good matchups between Wright and Chris Hill.

It was a true statement, at least it wasn't any of Shuf's uneducated crap he threw at you

Yea, that's true, if he's any indication of Illini fans, I'd be embarassed.

I don't believe he's an illini fan, i thought he was a kansas fan...i could be wrong. But i just remember him spewing out stupid crap about everyone's team

Sorry if there are any dumb Illini posters in advance

I don't believe he's an illini fan, i thought he was a kansas fan...i could be wrong. But i just remember him spewing out stupid crap about everyone's team

Sorry if there are any dumb Illini posters in advance

No you are right, he is a Kansas fan. But in his eyes, everyone else sucks and is inferior forever to the Jayhawks.

Yeah, it's true. I didn't feel the need to make a stupid comment back on that one. I still think it's sweet that he made the team. His shooting percentage was only a couple notches behind the next lowest, the "god of the team'' according to ESPN, Chris Paul's percentage.