Wright To Try Out For National Team

IU's done their part with the exception of last year's joke of a game against Wake. They're 2-1 in their Challenge games.

Monday, Nov. 29

7 p.m. Purdue at N.C. State, ESPN2

Tuesday, Nov. 30

7 p.m. Michigan at Georgia Tech, ESPN

7:30 p.m. Florida State at Minnesota, ESPN2

9 p.m. Michigan State at Duke, ESPN

9:30 p.m. Maryland at Wisconsin, ESPN2

Wednesday, Dec. 1

7 p.m. Wake Forest at Illinois, ESPN

7:30 p.m. Ohio State at Clemson, ESPN2

9 p.m. North Carolina at Indiana, ESPN

9:30 p.m. Virginia at Northwestern, ESPN2

IU's done their part with the exception of last year's joke of a game against Wake.  They're 2-1 in their Challenge games. 

Monday, Nov. 29

7 p.m. Purdue at N.C. State, ESPN2

Tuesday, Nov. 30

7 p.m. Michigan at Georgia Tech, ESPN

7:30 p.m. Florida State at Minnesota, ESPN2

9 p.m. Michigan State at Duke, ESPN

9:30 p.m. Maryland at Wisconsin, ESPN2

Wednesday, Dec. 1

7 p.m. Wake Forest at Illinois, ESPN

7:30 p.m. Ohio State at Clemson, ESPN2

9 p.m. North Carolina at Indiana, ESPN

9:30 p.m. Virginia at Northwestern, ESPN2

I have to say that the ACC will win the challenge again this year. My predictions

N.C. State beats Purdue (home game for NC State and Purdue just isn't that talented)

Georgia Tech beats Michigan (GT loaded and a home game)

Florida State beats Minnesota (Minnesota is going to be absolutely horrible)

Duke beats MSU (In Cameron, even with early entries Duke still is loaded)

Wisconsin beats Maryland (nearly impossible to win in Kohl)

Illinois beats Wake Forest (obviously I'm biased but its a home game for Illinois and we've had one of the best home court advantages in college basketball the last 4 years or so)

Ohio State beats Clemson (Ohio State should be improved this year, I think this one could go either way)

N. Carolina over Indiana (N.C. just has to much firepower and Indiana won't be experienced enough

Virginia beats Northwestern (another one that could go either way)

As for my comment on Bracey, yes it is true and never did I say he shouldn't have been on the team but lets not pretend like he played well.

I have to say that the ACC will win the challenge again this year.  My predictions

N.C. State beats Purdue (home game for NC State and Purdue just isn't that talented)

Georgia Tech beats Michigan (GT loaded and a home game)

Florida State beats Minnesota (Minnesota is going to be absolutely horrible)

Duke beats MSU (In Cameron, even with early entries Duke still is loaded)

Wisconsin beats Maryland (nearly impossible to win in Kohl)

Illinois beats Wake Forest (obviously I'm biased but its a home game for Illinois and we've had one of the best home court advantages in college basketball the last 4 years or so)

Ohio State beats Clemson (Ohio State should be improved this year, I think this one could go either way)

N. Carolina over Indiana (N.C. just has to much firepower and Indiana won't be experienced enough

Virginia beats Northwestern (another one that could go either way)

As for my comment on Bracey, yes it is true and never did I say he shouldn't have been on the team but lets not pretend like he played well.

I agree with you on many of the games, but I really think some of them are going to be interesting. I think you're putting a little too much into the Home Court Advantage. It helps, but if you play a good team it can be countered. I kind of like MSU. Duke doesn't have a whole lot of depth, and both teams should struggle at the point. I think MSU is going to have a pretty good year, Hill Torbert and Davis are pretty good. I kind of like Maryland in the game too. Wisconsin is really going to miss Harris and Tucker is going to be coming off an injury. Is Chambliss going to be eligible for this game or any others in the first semester? He'll help out a bit, but Maryland is going to have a solid team. I think Wake and Illinois is a really tough one to call, but if I had to bet on the game I'd take Wake. Brown and Williams are solid, but Paul is just awesome. To me Gray, Downey and Paul is a slightly better backcourt. Williams is a better post scorer than anyone the Illini have, and Levy is too athletic. I think Wake is a little deeper too. The Illini should be right in the Big Ten race, but Wake matches up a little to well with them in my book, altough a good shooting night can negate that.

I think NU might sneek up on some people this year. They'll probably struggle early, but once Thompson becomes eligible that gives them a real big man for the first time in a while. They still won't keep up with U of I or MSU, but I think they'll pull a few upsets and might make the tourney. It all depends on how good Thompson and Doyle(another transfer) really are.

I think you're putting a little too much into the Home Court Advantage.  I think Wake and Illinois is a really tough one to call, but if I had to bet on the game I'd take Wake. Brown and Williams are solid, but Paul is just awesome. To me Gray, Downey and Paul is a slightly better backcourt. Williams is a better post scorer than anyone the Illini have, and Levy is too athletic. I think Wake is a little deeper too. The Illini should be right in the Big Ten race, but Wake matches up a little to well with them in my book, altough a good shooting night can negate that.

Home court advantage in college basketball is huge, what game do you watch?

If you'd like to bet on Illinois/Wake, give me a holler

Sorry, but i'll take my chances with our backcourt against theirs, any night of the week. I like how you left Head out of that backcourt, just like the ESPN guys do. Oops

Williams is the best post scorer we have? Um, that's clearly false

We'll be in the big ten race? I believe we are the favorite. You say it like we're a mediocre team.

Home court advantage in college basketball is huge, what game do you watch?

If you'd like to bet on Illinois/Wake, give me a holler

Sorry, but i'll take my chances with our backcourt against theirs, any night of the week. I like how you left Head out of that backcourt, just like the ESPN guys do. Oops

Williams is the best post scorer we have? Um, that's clearly false

We'll be in the big ten race? I believe we are the favorite. You say it like we're a mediocre team.

Home court advatage matters, but teams still lose on their home floor all the time. I said I think it's going to be a close game between Wake and the Illini, so I'd rather not touch it. I didn't leave Head out, I was comparing their 3 guards to Illinois' 3 guards. Their other two guys are solid shooters that can also handle the ball, I'm not so sure Head could. If you could read you would notice that I was referring to a Williams on Wake, which would be Eric. It'd be kind of hard for someone on the Illini to be better than anyone on the Illini. I agree, the Illini are one of if not the favorite, but it's still considered a race until some clinches it. I think it will come down to the Illini and MSU, maybe Wisconsin depending on how Tucker comes back and if Chambliss or Wade can cut it at the point.

You said "Brown and Williams are solid" so i thought that mean you forgot Head. Don't worry, ESPN does that all the time. Head can still handle the ball pretty well, not Brown/Williams well, but our backcourts' assist to turnover ratio is outstanding. Head adds another element on the floor with his defense and speed and jumping ability.

I realize teams lose on their home floor - but it's a huge advantage, one of the biggest in sports. Of course, depends on the stadium, but our Assembly Hall provides a huge homecourt advantage. I realize we can lose at home - i watched purdue beat us in front of my own eyes

Williams comment - i misread cuz i read it fast

I'd say the line will probly be Illinois by a few points, if they both play up to caliber until that game and there aren't huge injuries. The homecourt advantage will do that for you. It will be a tossup game though, and a great one at that.

Race in the Big Ten should come down to the end again as it always does. Wisconsin is still solid, yeah, and no doubt we'll lose to them in Kohl regardless.

You said "Brown and Williams are solid" so i thought that mean you forgot Head. Don't worry, ESPN does that all the time. Head can still handle the ball pretty well, not Brown/Williams well, but our backcourts' assist to turnover ratio is outstanding. Head adds another element on the floor with his defense and speed and jumping ability.

I realize teams lose on their home floor - but it's a huge advantage, one of the biggest in sports. Of course, depends on the stadium, but our Assembly Hall provides a huge homecourt advantage. I realize we can lose at home - i watched purdue beat us in front of my own eyes

Williams comment - i misread cuz i read it fast

I'd say the line will probly be Illinois by a few points, if they both play up to caliber until that game and there aren't huge injuries. The homecourt advantage will do that for you. It will be a tossup game though, and a great one at that.

Race in the Big Ten should come down to the end again as it always does. Wisconsin is still solid, yeah, and no doubt we'll lose to them in Kohl regardless.

I know ESPN seems to be biased against the Illini. They had them at #10 in their preseason poll, which is ridiculous, and Vitale didn't have Brown or Williams on any of his "Rolls Royce Teams" which is at least as ludicrous if not more so. I think the line on the game will partly depend on how the real polls come out, a lot of people are going to bet just based on those(I know it's dumb, but who said gamblers had to be smart?). If they are something like 3 and 4 in the polls, I would think the Illini would be about a 3 or 4 point favorite, but if for some reason Wake is like 2 while the Illini are 8, I think Wake MIGHT be a favorite.

Personally, I think the Illini are a very good but not great team, at least for right now. Their backcourt is one of the best in the country, and they started playing some good defense about mid way through the Big Ten schedule. But I think they are going to be a little inconsistent until their post scoring becomes more constant. Augustine has potential, but it seemed like almost all of his points came off of plays by Brown or Williams. They'll beat a lot of teams, but I think they'll struggle against some better teams, especially those with good post scorers(IE Duke, UNC, Wake, maybe MSU if they could develop another big guy to complement Davis). I'm really looking forward to finding out what will happen with these better teams, I can't wait for college basketball season.

I'm used to the ESPN bias, but to leave obvious factors out of artciles is ridiculous. Not mentioning Luther Head in the backcourt is just not doing your homework, or not caring, because he's a vital part of our team. Our record with him in the lineup after he got his head screwed on straight was stellar.

Deron is one of the top guards in the nation, and i hate to say it but if he has another great year he'll jump to the NBA probly. I agree with your line analyzation. Actually, if they played the game on neutral court, i wonder what the line would be. What i'm getting at is how many points is the home court advantage at AH worth, in terms of the line? I'd say we have a 60/40 shot to win that game, that could change due to injury or what not.

You hit on some problems with the Illini - inside scoring. Powell needs to have more of his outstanding performances like the one at Wisconsin in order for this team to really, really be up there in the race. I'm hoping all the big guys have been working their ass off this summer and will show some improvement this fall in the scoring area. Augustine needs to develop more than his left hook, which, while real good, is basically the only post move he has. Sounds simple, but i think he also needs to play with more of a mean streak. Smith certainly isn't an inside presence, but the guy doesn't miss from the baseline (or 3 pt land in OT against Purdue, lol). I'm interested to see what Warren Carter can add to the mix this year as well - i wasn't all that impressed by him last year, but it was limited minutes. Randle is a decent wing player, and he can go to the hole with authority. His shooting is sure unorthodox as hell, though. I'm hoping for one of those 2 guys to step up this year off the bench.

I'm interested to see what the nonconference schedule looks like. We have Wake, i believe Cincy, Gonzaga, Oregon at the UC...i can't remember much else from what Weber said last May, but i think it will be pretty challenging, and hopefully gets us ready for a good run.

Is it just me or is the title really up for grabs this year? Uconn losing key guys, Duke down, etc...there are a lot of teams that can make the final four i think.

• 4 weeks later...