Commentary: The Fifth Element

Chisoxfn

No Prob; Nice Article.  I sure hope Rauch is the 5th.

Thanks. Like I said in the article, Loaiza might be better than Rauch this year but Rauch is the one who and will be the best in the future, and hell only get there with experience. Yet I still think Rauch will be the best this year too...

Every day it seems like one of the veterans will get the job. JM keeps saying that the 5th starter needs to be both a reliever and a starter, this being the reason i don't think Rauch really has a chance, he's too big of a prospect to be messed around in that way. I'll say its a 90% chance Rauch starts the season in AAA. After the 55 games if Rauch is throwing well or if who ever is pitching sucks we'll see Rauch back up in the majors.

Well hes almost 25. So how long should he wait? We dont want to keep him down there forever. He needs to see MLB playing time to gain any experience...

Yeah, but if you turn him into a spot starter/middle reliever for the first 55 games it could seriously screw him up. The way i see it he's the best 5th starter we have, but only if he get's to start every 5th (or 6th) day. Other then that he's better off in AAA until we can give him that 5th spot every time out.

I agree with the posters above, he either starts or he's in AAA. This sometimes start sometimes relieve stuff is bulls***. He's not going to be Gary Glover. I'd like to see him get the job out of spring training just because i don't believe in the mighty Esteban or Gil, but not if he's going to have to come out of the pen at all.

No Prob; Nice Article.  I sure hope Rauch is the 5th.

I sure as hell do too, PROVIDED he's completely ready after the injury he suffered, which I think he will...it's a loooooooooooong offseason! He will then take on the roll Garland did a couple years ago, being the youngun on the roster, and I think Garland and Buehrle would be good teachers for Rauch. Rauch showed what he's made of in the summer games in Sydney three years ago! He CAN get it done, which leads me to think he's gonna get that 5th spot IF we don't get Rogers in a second try.

Everybody is talking about a duel between Loaiza, Heredia, Steward and Rauch. Most also agree that it would be better for Steward and Rauch to start in AAA due to the unbalanced schedule. So that leaves only Loaiza and Heredia. Right?.........Wrong!!! Due to the unbalanced schedule it is not necessary to take a fifth starter up north. He can also give some spot starts to Glover (or Ginter). Then, after a few weeks Manuel can decide whether he wants Steward or Rauch. By then Rauch should be ready and be able to through every fifth day. If I was Jerry Manuel I would take these pitchers up north:

1. Colon

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. Wright

5. Glover

6. Ginter

7. White

8. Wunsch

9. Marte

10. Gordon

11. Koch

That means that Almonte, Munoz, Porzio, Steward and Rauch start in AAA

Everybody is talking about a duel between Loaiza, Heredia, Steward and Rauch. Most also agree that it would be better for Steward and Rauch to start in AAA due to the unbalanced schedule. So that leaves only Loaiza and Heredia. Right?.........Wrong!!! Due to the unbalanced schedule it is not necessary to take a fifth starter up north. He can also give some spot starts to Glover (or Ginter). Then, after a few weeks Manuel can decide whether he wants Steward or Rauch. By then Rauch should be ready and be able to through every fifth day. If I was Jerry Manuel I would take these pitchers up north:

1. Colon

2. Buehrle

3. Garland

4. Wright

5. Glover

6. Ginter

7. White

8. Wunsch

9. Marte

10. Gordon

11. Koch

That means that Almonte, Munoz, Porzio, Steward and Rauch start in AAA

Welcome Aboard Coca :headbang

I agree with you that the Sox don't need a 5th starter right out of the gate, but they will need one during the first month unless they want there guys going on four days rest a couple times early in the season.

This year, for the Sox at least, the days off aren't there that will allow them to not need one for an entire month. They only have 4 off days.

He can also give some spot starts to Glover (or Ginter).

If JM starts tinkering with the fifth spot, I'll be calling for his head. The fifth spot should be (preferably) Rauch. I have a feeling though that JM isn't going to name a fifth starter because then he can tinker all season long with that spot. I think JM is going to name Loaiza as the fifth starter out of ST. JM has already mentioned his desire to tinker with the number 2 spot in the batting order too. I'M f***ING SICK AND TIRED OF JM AND HIS TINKERING! Tinker on a Sunday here-and-there like most MLB manager's do.

And as a side note..... Glover or Ginter should be worst case scenario starters..... only starting games that one of the 5 (or 12 possible starters with JM and his tinkering) starters misses due to an injury, suspension, family emergency, etc. If Glover or Ginter is used as a starter this season, IMHO, we're gonna be in trouble.

I think Glover can make some spot-starts. Meanwhile Ginter can also be a long-guy. This gives Rauch (and Steward) the chance to pitch every fifth day in the minors. This way can get better and produce for the sox in the long term.

Greetings from Amsterdam!

Coca :D