Disheartening Article: Magglios GAWN in 05.

Flash Tizzle

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:qUACk5p...Bcontract&hl=en

Feb 01, 2004 - 11:00 pm

White Sox GM Ken Williams recently asked Magglio Ordonez if he was interested in discussing a contract extension and was told the outfielder wants to become a free agent.

Magglio Ordonez told the White Sox that he intends to play out his contract and test the free agent market after the season, according to the Daily Southtown.

White Sox | Ordonez Would Like To Stay In Chicago - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 6 Feb 2004 09:19:06 -0800

The Daily Herald reports during an interview with Spanish-speaking reporters and MLB.com at the Caribbean Series on Wednesday, Feb. 5

"I want a five- or six-year contract so that I can relax and be in one place for a long time,'' Ordonez said.

"I think I have market value similar to that of Vladimir and Tejada,'' said Ordonez, apparently not bummed about his proposed role in the aborted Nomar Garciaparra trade. "It could be even more if you take into account that the market is going up again. I want a five- or six-year contract so I can relax and be in one place for a long time.

More evidence of Maggs greedy intentions.

What are you trying to prove?? Maggs never said he's gone once he tests the fa market like you said. He said he was going to test the market, what's wrong with that? A lot of players do that.

How is wanting to test free agency being greedy...?

And all he's done to this point is comment about it.

What's your problem with Maggs..? He's by far the most social player on this team right now, and caters to the fans more than anyone else. Maybe if the Sox weren't so known for screwing their faithful players he wouldn't be thinking about FA.

Steff is it just me, or is your sig blury?

http://excite.rototimes.com/index.php?spor...searchname=2385

The Daily Southtown reports that  Magglio Ordonez (OF) CWS confirmed that contract negotiations with the White Sox have broken off. A source told the paper that, "Unless there's a big change of heart, and a change of heart on both sides, then Magglio will walk in the offseason. Once he becomes a free agent, there's almost no chance that the Sox will get him back. They know that and they are preparing for that."

Now it's not the exact quote as him saying never but it sure is supportive of that fact.  ;)

That quote can be applied to every free agent that has ever been. It is very rare, I'm certain there have been a couple, but I cannot think of any, that have resigned with their team after having negotiations broken off and the player a free agent.

That quote can be applied to every free agent that has ever been. It is very rare, I'm certain there have been a couple, but I cannot think of any, that have resigned with their team after having negotiations broken off and the player a free agent.

Sidney just did it.

Testing the market may aid us in resigning him, too.  He wants Vlad money, but who's going to pay it?  Maybe he'll come back to us for $10m/season instead.

I don't think Maggs numbers warrant a $4million drop in salary. He will easily find a club at his current contract if not a nice raise. There is no reason to believe he's on a decline.

How is wanting to test free agency being greedy...?

And all he's done to this point is comment about it.

What's your problem with Maggs..? He's by far the most social player on this team right now, and caters to the fans more than anyone else. Maybe if the Sox weren't so known for screwing their faithful players he wouldn't be thinking about FA.

Look the quote is related to the 58/4 offer several weeks back. I'm having a hard time just finding info on that offer because the 70/5 is dominating the searches.

My problem with Maggs is that he is that he thinks he is a great player when he is just a border-line all-star player. I could give a rats ass about his season stats. On this team everybody's stats get inflated. In the stats that count he is at best the 3rd best hitter on the SOX over the last 5 yrs. Now he has the gaul to compare himself with Tejada & Guerrero. The thing he forgets is that both of these players have had MVP seasons.

He hasn't. If you look at his monthy production in OPS even his best year fails in comparison to their best.

More importantly signing a player is not solely about his yearly stats or how he compares to other players in the league. It's about the players value to the team.

We have greater needs then RF. We have greater depth to fill RF than we do those other needs.

====================================

That being said, in doing this search I found another rumor. I believe Maggs recent injury has changed his heart some towards deferred money. The rumor suggests that in the 70/5 offer the SOX are seeking to defer 4 mil per year 10 yrs into the future.

I admit that even if Maggs did make a statement to the effect that he would not sign with the SOX as a FA that was at a time when the SOX best offer was 58/4 with a sizeable amount of deferred money. His time on the DL might have him reconsidering his options.

If I were the SOX I would link payment of deferred money to revenue. The higher the revenue of the team the faster the deferred payments are made. If Maggs has any love for the SOX or it's fans to where he would offer them a better deal than any other team that should seal the deal. PR wise it would boost JR's image & the organization's.

Do I think Maggs is worth 50/5 & 20/5 deferred? Yes.

I don't think Maggs numbers warrant a $4million drop in salary. He will easily find a club at his current contract if not a nice raise. There is no reason to believe he's on a decline.

Unless the yankees or mets sign him he will not be making 14 mill or more next year, imo.

Look the quote is related to the 58/4 offer several weeks back.  I'm having a hard time just finding info on that offer because the 70/5 is dominating the searches.

My problem with Maggs is that he is that he thinks he is a great player when he is just a border-line all-star player.  I could give a rats ass about his season stats.  On this team everybody's stats get inflated.  In the stats that count he is at best the 3rd best hitter on the SOX over the last 5 yrs. Now he has the gaul to compare himself with Tejada & Guerrero.  The thing he forgets is that both of these players have had MVP seasons. 

He hasn't.  If you look at his monthy production in OPS even his best year fails in comparison to their best.

More importantly signing a player is not solely about his yearly stats or how he compares to other players in the league.  It's about the players value to the team.

We have greater needs then RF.  We have greater depth to fill RF than we do those other needs.

====================================

That being said, in doing this search I found another rumor. I believe Maggs recent injury has changed his heart some towards deferred money.  The rumor suggests that in the 70/5 offer the SOX are seeking to defer 4 mil per year 10 yrs into the future. 

I admit that even if Maggs did make a statement to the effect that he would not sign with the SOX as a FA that was at a time when the SOX best offer was 58/4 with a sizeable amount of deferred money.  His time on the DL might have him reconsidering his options.

If I were the SOX I would link payment of deferred money to revenue.  The higher the revenue of the team the faster the deferred payments are made.  If Maggs has any love for the SOX or it's fans to where he would offer them a better deal than any other team that should seal the deal. PR wise it would boost JR's image & the organization's.

Do I think Maggs is worth 50/5 & 20/5 deferred?  Yes.

Juggs,

Basically you want to sign him for 5 years at his current price, no more. Is that based on revenues staying flat? A possible decline in his play? New TV contract? Are you believing the payroll will stay flat for 5 years?

My problem with Maggs is....

Your problem is that you are assuming everything you are reading is gospel.. when in fact.. you don't know anything. So maybe you should hold off on the "FU's" until you have a reason to give him one. :huh

Unless the yankees or mets sign him he will not be making 14 mill or more next year, imo.

I'm not sure they will, either.

The Yanks have got Sheffield and Matsui in the corners.

Are the BoSox set there, too?

I knew there had to be a couple, but seriously if there are more than a handfull, I would be shocked.

Alright Tex.. I know he's a large man.. but is it really necessary to call him a "couple"...? :huh

:lol:

It certainly doesn't help the SOX when there are reporters out there saying the Mets & NYY's are prepared to offer Maggs or Beltran 140/8.

Pujols rejected a deal by STL for 55/5 & then signed a deal with them for 100/7.

What this means is that it is doubtful they will be able to keep Renteria & Morris after 2004. So why do it? The question is not whether Pujols is worth 100/7 but rather how does that impact the rest of your team? Comparatively speaking Renteria will be looking for Tejada $ & Morris will be looking for Colon type $.

It's obvious to me that the players & agents believe a few deals has inflated the market again. Will there be a BAL & ANA next year for all these players? I doubt it.

It just doesn't make sense to break the bank for 1 player if you are the White Sox & have a 70 million ceiling. Consider the best deals in baseball over the past 10 yrs & they all come from trades. Big spenders throwing in dough to swap older players for young players on the cusp of FA. That's how you stay competitive year after year.

That's how Oakland does it. That's why Zito is now available.

Your problem is that you are assuming everything you are reading is gospel.. when in fact.. you don't know anything. So maybe you should hold off on the "FU's" until you have a reason to give him one.  :huh

When it says "Magglio said" or "Magglio says" in an article I tend to believe it.

Just as most news sources including ESPN doubt that the 70/5 was a lie.

If he signs a 50/5 & 20/5 deferred deal then it's all water under the bridge.

If he goes into FA & accepts less but doesn't sign with the SOX he's an arse-hole.

If he goes into FA & accepts more but doesn't sign with the SOX he's just another greedy player.

Can we at least agree on that?

If he signs a 50/5 & 20/5 deferred deal then it's all water under the bridge.

If he goes into FA & accepts less but doesn't sign with the SOX he's an arse-hole.

If he goes into FA & accepts more but doesn't sign with the SOX he's just another greedy player. 

Can we at least agree on that?

Sorry, no.

Agree to disagree and move on. :banghead

Sorry, no.

Agree to disagree and move on.  :banghead

Fine. Maintain your lovefest with Magglio then.

I have to say if I were a STL fan I just heard that Pujols' signing means Renteria &/or Morris will be gone I'd look less favorably on him. But we know SOX fans are different.

:rolleyes:

I think Kenny should just hit the pause button & keep talking to teams. When I hear rumors with the potential of Ordonez for Mulder my eyes grow big! These kind of trades make sense for contenders. Trading valuable commodities in the game of Moneyball to fill glaring holes.

If anything has come out of the 70/5 offer it's that Maggs is on the defensive now.

Heyman has credibility to where Maggs referring to some parts of the report as a lie do not discredit the offer. It's in the minds of the fans & the public just like the Colon offer was. That can only help the SOX.

I'm not sure they will, either.

The Yanks have got Sheffield and Matsui in the corners.

Are the BoSox set there, too?

Right, I believe the yanks will sign beltran and the mets will go after Maggs and that's probably his only chance to get 14 mill a year.