2005 contract information

Mr. Showtime

With all the talk about Magglio on the way out, and talk of how to spend the money. I went and did a little research ( :o ) to see how the money shakes down for 2005.

I just wanna keep the thread around to so it's not a pain in the ass to find all these numbers again. :lol:

Just looking at facts:

Valentin, Koch, Loaiza, Magglio all free agents after this season. Shoe signed a one year deal at the start of this year to avoid arbitration. So he's going to get more money as well.

Carlos Lee:

$8 million in 2005, with the White Sox carrying a club option at $8.5 million in 2006, or they can buy out the contract for $500,000.

Mark Buehrle:

$5.75 million in 2005 and $7.75 million in 2006. Chicago has a $9.5 million option for 2007 with a $1 million buyout.

Paul Konerko:

2005: $8.75M

Frank Thomas:

2005: Dual option $8.0M player/$11.0M team

2006: Dual option $10.0M player/$12.0M team or $3.5M buyout

Shingo Takatsu:

Sox have a team option on him. He made 1.0M in 2004, can't be much more in 2005. I'm sure that'll get picked up.

Valentin(5), Loaiza(3.5), Magglio(14), Koch(6.5) are all coming off the books next year.

Loaiza will be resigned, no doubt in my mind. So his contract will probably boost up to around 5 million dollars. So that leaves 24 million dollars available for using on free agency etc.

even with the rather weak free agent class this coming offseason, it will still be nice to possibly add some salary via trade which makes things pretty interesting if you ask me.

Valentin(5), Loaiza(3.5), Magglio(14), Koch(6.5) are all coming off the books next year. 

Loaiza will be resigned, no doubt in my mind.  So his contract will probably boost up to around 5 million dollars.  So that leaves 24 million dollars available for using on free agency etc.

even with the rather weak free agent class this coming offseason, it will still be nice to possibly add some salary via trade which makes things pretty interesting if you ask me.

Out of curiosity....

Who do you root for when the Chisox play the Bosox?

Out of curiosity....

Who do you root for when the Chisox play the Bosox?

Ha, i knew that would come up sooner rather than later, but I have to go with who i've been rooting for my entire life, where i grew up, where my roots are, and that would be in Red Sox Nation :ph34r:

(T)= team option for 2005

(P)=Player option for 2005

(M)=Mutual option for 2005

Starting Pitchers

Aaron Sele

Derek Lowe

Pedro Martinez

Esteban Loaiza

Brad Radke

Jon Lieber (T)

Freddy Garcia

Pat Hentgen

Roger Clemens

Wilson Alvarez

Steve Trachsel (T)

Kevin Millwood

Eric Milton

Woody Williams (T)

David Wells

Ismael Valdes

Matt Morris

Al Leiter (M)

Brett Tomko (T)

Kris Benson

Odalis Perez

Cory Lidle

Matt Clement

Glendon Rusch

Elmer Dessens

Relievers

Felix Hernandez

Jason Christianson (T)

Robb Nen

Antonio Osuna

Trevor Hoffmann (T)

Rod Beck (T)

Steve Kline

Jose Mesa

Rheal Cormier

Roberto Hernandez

Billy Wagner (T)

David Weathers

Paul Schuey

Armando Benitez

Chad Fox

Antonio Alfonseca

John Smoltz (T)

Terry Adams

Ron Villone

Curtis Leskanic

Billy Koch

Scott Williamson

Alan Embree (T)

Mike Timlin (T)

Troy Percival

Uegeth Urbina (T)

Jeff Nelson

Eddie Guardado (M)

Catchers

Dan Wilson

Jason Varitek

Einar Diaz

Henry Blanco

Kelly Stinnett

Damian Miller

Mike Matheny

OF

Marquis Grissom (T)

Raul Mondesi

Carl Everett (P)

Craig Biggio (T)

Lance Berkman

Richard Hidalgo

Jeromy Burnitz (M)

Moises Alou (M)

JD Drew

Frank Cattalanotto

Steve Finley

Brian Jordan

Rusty Greer (M)

Jermaine Dye

Carlos Beltran

Jacque Jones

Magglio Ordonez

Juan Gonzalez (M)

1B/DH

Ellis Burks

Rafael Palmeiro (T)

David Segui

Tony Clark

Eric Karros (T)

Travis Lee

John Olerud

Tino Martinez

Brad Fullmer

Carlos Delgado

Richie Sexson

Robin Ventura

Mo Vaughn (T)

JT Snow

2B

Roberto Alomar

Jeff Kent

Bret Boone (option vests with 450 PA's)

Mark Grudzielanek

3B

Troy Glaus

Adrian Beltre

Bill Mueller (T)

Joe Randa (M)

Corey Koskie

Vinny Castilla

SS

Orlando Cabrera

Jose Valentin

Barry Larkin

Alex Gonzalez (Chi)

Rich Aurilia

Cristian Guzman (M)

Nomar Garciaparra

I'm not sure we should be so confident that E-Lo is going to be back next year. I think he said last offseason that the thought of going to San Diego would be appealing. It's close to his hometown of Tijuana, and Petco looks to be the kind of park to attract quality free agent pitchers.

If he continues his season at the current pace and ends up with 17-18 wins and a 3.60 ERA, what's he going to ask for? If fat ass Ponson got 3yr/$22.5mil, E-Lo could probably get 8 per.

I'm not sure we should be so confident that E-Lo is going to be back next year.  I think he said last offseason that the thought of going to San Diego would be appealing.  It's close to his hometown of Tijuana, and Petco looks to be the kind of park to attract quality free agent pitchers. 

If he continues his season at the current pace and ends up with 17-18 wins and a 3.60 ERA, what's he going to ask for?  If fat ass Ponson got 3yr/$22.5mil, E-Lo could probably get 8 per.

No, I think he'll be loyal to the Sox for giving him a major league contract when no other team did. I say 5-6 for next season, maybe spiked to 6-7 for two years after that. we'll see.

Loaiza will be resigned, no doubt in my mind.  So his contract will probably boost up to around 5 million dollars.  So that leaves 24 million dollars available for using on free agency etc.

How is that free agent class is it is suppose to be one of the bext ever.

yeah i think he'll be back, he seems like the kind of guy who would stay loyal to the team that gave him his chance.

I agree. He seems happy here and he is becoming popular too. I really think he will be loyal.

I think Jacque Jones would look real good with the Sox if we lose Maggs.

I agree, but I would perfer Jones back in LF, which isn't realistic.

My dream lineup next year would be:

2B - Harris L

CF - Cruz Jr. S

RF - Ordonez R

DH - Thomas R

3B - Koskie R

1B - Konerko R

LF - Jones L

SS - Uribe R

C - Olivo R

My dream lineup next year would be:

2B - Harris L

CF - Cruz Jr. S

RF - Ordonez R

DH - Thomas R

3B - Koskie R

1B - Konerko R

LF - Jones L

SS - Uribe R

C - Olivo R

I dunno, a semi-realistic lineup for next year could be:

Harris 2B

Jones CF

Thomas DH

Konerko 1B

Lee LF

Drew RF

Uribe SS

Crede 3B

Olivo C

I think Elo stays. I have heard him in interviews before about how greatful he is to KW and JR that they had so much confidence in him, and how happy he is to be pitching for the Sox.

Loaiza is also huge in Mexico, from what I hear, and thats good for the Latino crowd that comes into the ballpark.

Estey will, and should stay a Sox.

I think it's 50/50 on whether E-Lo is back or not.

If he is back, it will most likely be at a much larger price than most here are suggesting.

If he has himself a decent season, like he seams to be doing. 15-17 wins ERA under 4, 220+IP. He's going to be looking at a big payday.

7.5MIL/YR would be a starting point 10MIL/yr is not out of the question. Deoending on the bidders, and the season he put together this year, It could go much higher.

He was already in the top 6 in the AL in the Elias Sports Bureau ranking of SP for FA compensation. Those rankings are based on the previous 2 years. So putting together a season that's better than his 2002(which shouldn't be difficult, 5.71ERA in 150IP in 2002) would only increase his standing. He'd likely be in the top 3 in the AL over the last 2 years. He'd be due to be compensated like a top 3 SP in the AL.

In short, if he's back, he'll cost $$$$

I think it's 50/50 on whether E-Lo is back or not.

If he is back, it will most likely be at a much larger price than most here are suggesting. 

If he has himself a decent season, like he seams to be doing.  15-17 wins ERA under 4, 220+IP.  He's going to be looking at a big payday.

7.5MIL/YR would be a starting point 10MIL/yr is not out of the question.  Deoending on the bidders, and the season he put together this year, It could go much higher.

He was already in the top 6 in the AL in the Elias Sports Bureau ranking of SP for FA compensation. Those rankings are based on the previous 2 years.  So putting together a season that's better than his 2002(which shouldn't be difficult, 5.71ERA in 150IP in 2002) would only increase his standing.  He'd likely be in the top 3 in the AL over the last 2 years.  He'd be due to be compensated like a top 3 SP in the AL.

In short, if he's back, he'll cost $$$$

who on earth would give Esteban Loaiza 10 million dollars a year?

who on earth would give Esteban Loaiza 10 million dollars a year?

What would you pay a starter, who Hypothetically, over the past two years has put up numbers like this

21Wins 2.91ERA 220+IP

15-17Wins 3.75ERA 220+IP

What's the going rate for a guy who averages 17 wins in a season? There's no real injury question surrounding E-lo. IMO if you sign him to a short 2 year deal, he's a safer bet than Bartolo was last year, and look what he got.

The only thing going against E-lo is his age, and look what Old guys have done in recent years. Clemens, Moyer, Rogers.