The official I want Carlos Beltran thread

WSoxShuf

I think there's gonna have to be at least one really good prospect in any Beltran package, and after watching these guys for the last two to three years, I don't think either Rowand or Cotts fits that description.

If SD is the "lead" team to get Beltran, and Xavier Nady is listed as a "top prospect", Rowand is better than him. With the added incentive to get payback vs. the Sox when KC plays them, I'd want Rowand more than Nady if I were KC.

Cotts certainly has more potential than Diaz or Rauch.

Are they both "top prospects"? I don't think so. But both are solid players and guys who should be on major league rosters for the next 5-8 years. Add in another prospect from AA or AAA and the makings of a deal are there. Such a value is better than hoping two draft picks may pan out.

I don't think any team will trade a certifiable, can't miss top prospect for Beltran this year. No team is in that dire shape among those able and willing to get him. And some teams like NYY and Bos just don't have the prospects. Of all the teams mentioned, none seem willing to take that big step and give away their top guys, esp at 3B and C, the two most glaring holes for KC.

Sox have Harris who hits RHP and Rowand who mashes LHP platooning in CF for 350K a piece. Beltran still has about 6 Mill left on the contract, and KC is gonna ask for Olivo/Reed, Crede, Bajenaru and Munoz/Honel or some such combo. Ouch.

Furthermore, Carlos Beltran has cooled off considerably since his torrid April and is now putting up numbers more consistent with his talent and history. Only 1 HR in the last month.

In the meantime, Sox have no real #1 going into the playoffs - you know, the pither who is gonna take the ball in Games 1 and 4 of ALDS?

Beltran would be a very good addition, a true PR coup........But NOT before the starting rotation hole is fixed and NOT if it means mortgaging the future.

[/beltran is NOT coming to the Sox, no way]

Sox have Harris who hits RHP and Rowand who mashes LHP platooning in CF for 350K a piece.  Beltran still has about 6 Mill left on the contract, and KC is gonna ask for Olivo/Reed, Crede, Bajenaru and Munoz/Honel or some such combo. Ouch. 

Furthermore, Carlos Beltran has cooled off considerably since his torrid April and is now putting up numbers more consistent with his talent and history. Only 1 HR in the last month.

In the meantime, Sox have no real #1 going into the playoffs - you know, the pither who is gonna take the ball in Games 1 and 4 of ALDS?

Beltran would be a very good addition, a true PR coup........But NOT before the starting rotation hole is fixed and NOT if it means mortgaging the future.

DING DING DING

We have a winner...

Yea but there is about as much love between Bora$$ and KW as Cdub has for Reagan and Bush... ;)

They don't even want to deal at all, and they won't.

And furthermore, would you trade your top prospects for a one year rental?  What does that get you?  Nothing, in the long term, Beltran is not what the Sox need.

This is a dumb conversation, no offense personally intended.

KW doesn't have to deal with Boras. Just with KC GM Baird.

Dumb conversation? Don't respond to the "Official I want Carlos Beltran thread" then. Start a " I don't want Beltran" thread. No offense intended.

The Sox offense needs improvement. Esp vs RHP. The present hot streak masks over this critical area. The key is making only one move for a postition player that could change the whole dynamics of their offense [so team chemistry isn't affected]. Only Carlos Beltran can do that. As a #2 hitter, as a switch hitter, w/ his defense; makes the bench stronger [puts Uribe back in the utility role at 2B, 3B, SS]

Yes, I would trade some of the prospects/ players I mentioned earlier. The two key reasons:

1] the Sox are in a position to go far in the playoffs.

2] And the Sox have young players who can replace them.

First, ya, I shouldn't have said that, sorry. I didn't mean to infer you're "dumb".

I hear what you're saying but this team is NOT a deep playoff team unless they get some pitching. And that is more of a glaring need then a player who even could do what all you are saying.

So, one outweighs the other, and that should be the focus.

Sox have Harris who hits RHP and Rowand who mashes LHP platooning in CF for 350K a piece.  Beltran still has about 6 Mill left on the contract, and KC is gonna ask for Olivo/Reed, Crede, Bajenaru and Munoz/Honel or some such combo. Ouch. 

Getting Beltran and pitching help are not mutually exclusive. With an offer of Borchard + Rauch supposedly the top offer for Garcia, these other names could get Beltran.

The other teams in the running for Beltran don't or won't give up their top talent for him. 3B and C are not positions teams give up for 1 year rentals.

Any ball player under the league wide rumors Beltran has been under the past two months would feel some pressure. Every town he goes to ask the same questions--how would you like to play for us?

His talent and intangibles would fit in nicely on the Sox. It's a question whether or not Baird gets the right offer. My guess is the Sox could give him a decent offer, up there with anyone.

First, ya, I shouldn't have said that, sorry.  I didn't mean to infer you're "dumb".

I hear what you're saying but this team is NOT a deep playoff team unless they get some pitching.  And that is more of a glaring need then a player who even could do what all you are saying.

So, one outweighs the other, and that should be the focus.

I didn't take the "dumb" comment personally. No problem.

I too see the need for pitching help. Even Cub fans could sense the Sox need a starter like Garcia and another bullpen arm. But getting Beltran and addressing the other areas are not mutually exclusive.

The Sox could trade guys in the lower levels for help, not just AA or AAA, to other teams who may not be out of it now. I've just made a case for acquiring beltran with what KC supposedly is asking for [3 of 5 spots--OF, pitching, 2B, 3B and C] 3B and C will be harder to fill by any team. but the Sox have OF and pitching guys they may want.

Getting Beltran and pitching help are not mutually exclusive.

They're not? Very well then. Trade for Glavine or Garcia. Then trade for Beltran. Just make sure Munoz, Honel, Cotts, Olivo, Crede, Borchard, Reed are NOT part of the deal.

Rauch, Rowand and Diaz for Beltran, let's do it. :headbang

Here's probably, at most, what I offer for Beltran:

Rowand, Borchard, Diaz or Rauch, and Cotts or Munoz.

Two OFers, two pitchers, one righty, one lefty, both with some good potential.

If they take it, cool, if they don't, look at Arizona for Finley, Seattle for Garcia, or any other team willing to offer a very good SP.

He could be a good pickup, and he probably shouldn't cost must.  I could see him put up some "Carl Everett" numbers here.

You rock Greasy!!!

Cruz was a GG last year, I think he could help this team out. I'd perfer him in CF over the rest of our crew. Put him on a team like ours, and I think he could perform. Plus, he would cost much, much, much less than Beltran and company.

I'll tell ya, I don't want to give up 4 decent ballplayers for a 3 month rental of Beltran. I still think Steve Finley would be the optimum guy for this team to acquire. I feel he would fit our situation perfectly. A good defensive CF with power and RBI capabilities. Plus, he's a wily veteran that has been through the wars and has proven he knows how to win. He's also shown the he can handle the pressure of post season baseball. And considering what we'd have to probably give up to get him vs what it would take to get Beltran, I think Finley would be perfect addition to this team.

I'm still in the group that feels our top priority should be a better than decent starting pitcher, but fitting Finley into our line up would be perfect.