Daubach

IlliniKrush

I think Daubach can play a big role on this team coming off the bench in pinch hitting situations and getting some quality starts to give guys some nights off. The guy definitely still has a power stroke, i think he needs to get some at bats early on to stay fresh so he can be clicking all season long. I actually think he can be better than Liefer, what do you guys think about him for this year?

What I like about the pickup is that Daubach's a PROVEN MLB-level hitter. Liefer has a ton of potential.......sigh......but has yet to show it consistently at the top level. I think this was a great pickup by KW and will give us a tremendous LH option for JM to utilize during the year....definately a situation where we closed a obvious gap on the roster....

a Daubach thread and no Baggio post?

Who has done something to our baggio?

The big question - JP is out of options.

Do we keep Daubach and 11 pitchers and can we keep JP that way so as to have insurance should Alomar go on the injury list

or will it come down to Daubach vs JP and then what??? because we need a third catcher somewhere because Sandy will spend at least a little time injured -

Guest hotsoxchick1

invasion of the baggio snatchers.... ill bet he went out to the store again and left us all alone to misbehave....lol..........any how dauber should come up and sit around here for that extra insurance.... i wouldnt revolt against it.....wish there was some way we could leave the yard gnome in arizona on someones front lawn and put dauber in his place for a while up here....... :D

I'm guessing Daubach is in, no matter what. He's a proven commodity and they really need the lefthanded bat. They've talked about taking 11 pitchers, so that means 14 players, the givens are:

Alomar, Olivo, Konerko, Thomas, Jimenez, Valentin, Crede, Graffanino, Lee, Rowand, Ordonez.

Three reserve spots left. It's almost assured Daubach will be one, so there's two spots left between Rios, Harris, and Paul. I'd say Rios is in, he's got a major league contract and some good experience. The key is if he can play some CF, he's got very little major league experience playing CF. But I just can't see them cutting Rios.

Paul is out of options and can pinch run if need be. Harris still has options, they may send him to Charlotte to get lots of AB's down there. The only problem I see is how they fit Harris, Hummel, and Miles down there. Hummel has played a little 3B but I wish they'd quit bouncing him around. It's possible Hummel plays short in AAA, Harris plays 2nd and CF ... and Miles goes back to AA. I don't like that scenario as I'd like to see Miles at least get AAA time. It's very possible that Miles is the 2B of the future if he has another good year, as Jimenez would slide over to SS.

Or, they might trade Josh for something before trying to slip him through waivers, which he undoubtedly wouldn't clear. One of the minor league free agents they signed would catch at Charlotte and keep his cell phone handy in case Sandy goes on the DL.

Either way, I still think it comes down to Josh Paul or Willie Harris for the last spot.

Not disputing you on daubach's vale at all -

but I want your answer (because I value your opinion, not trying to put you on the spot) to my question a few posts back about the # of pitchers we carry and JP and Daubach...

glad you are back, I was beginning to worry!

Not disputing you on daubach's vale at all -

but I want your answer (because I value your opinion, not trying to put you on the spot) to my question a few posts back about the # of pitchers we carry and JP and Daubach...

glad you are back, I was beginning to worry!

if we keep JP and daubach then the final spot comes down to rios and harris...i think that decision comes to down to if rios can play CF..if he can then you send harris to AAA where he starts in either cf or 2b...if rios cant play CF i say we trade him or cut him..im not a rios fan so its an easy call for me...id get rid of rios..daubach basically takes his position on the team and does it better...

i would try and work my roster to keep JP...because like you i think sandy is finished

I agree that Daubach is a great pick up for us. One thing that sticks in my mind is the year 2000 and my opportunity to take ina game at Fenway. Daubach hit a homer to beat the Twinkies 3-2.

I don't think we should be letting go of Josh Paul by not carrying 3 catchers. If he is out of options and we lose him to a waiver claim and not gain anything it's a terrible waste. I can't see needing 12 pitchers early in the season and if we go with 11 then a third catcher makes sense. If we don't need a third catcher then trade Paul and at least get something in return. However, all of this is contingent on Olivo winning and keeping the starting backstop job.

I think Daubach can play a big role on this team coming off the bench in pinch hitting situations and getting some quality starts to give guys some nights off. The guy definitely still has a power stroke, i think he needs to get some at bats early on to stay fresh so he can be clicking all season long. I actually think he can be better than Liefer, what do you guys think about him for this year?

He's way better then Liefer. This is a guy that produced for the Red Sox and will produce for us. He provides left handed power, can play the outfield or first and really will be a great asset to this club.

Daubauch is one of those winter acquisitions that sounds good on paper.

I also like the idea of him vs. Liefer.

But my question is a.) why would Boston let him go if he's any good. Boston has money.

b.) does anybody recall watching him playin person or on TV? Besides the stats, what

do you think of what you've seen of him on TV?

I can't recall him off the bat.

From baseball prospectus, daubach's breakout rate (chance of 20% or more increase in performance, improvement rate (chance he'll improve at all in numbers), and collapse rate (chance he'll suffer 20% or more in performance):

Breakout: 5%

Improvement: 36%

Collapse:28% (pretty high)

Baseball prospectus also predicts his numbers for this year being

.254 average, .336 obp, and .453 slugging, with 15 hr's in 349 at bats. That's seems fine. His defensive rating at 1b and lf was a -1. That's slightly under average.

Josh Paul can't hit as well as Clayton. Nor as Willie Harris at this level yet.

I don't see anyway that Rios will not be on the ballclub. I'll gaurantee he'll be in KC at the end of March.

Also, in response to the question of whether or not they'd all go if Graffinino is on the DL, I don't know, but I'm interested to find out.

He damn well better hit more than 254 - anyone who bats below Clayton's 2002 average should be off the team.  No debate.  Can't hit as well as Clayton, off the team.

Sorry to burst your bubble cw....but that would be anyone who can hit over Clayton's average for the first two months of the year(being Clayton's average as well) is off the team....meaning if your average isn't over .200 after May....you're gone :D

Willie Harris will not go to AAA to be the starting CF. That spot is reserved for Borchard. I think Hummel will be at SS and it will be between Harris and Miles for the AAA 2b job.

Daubach won't be in the starting lineup, barring injury or trade. His purpose, if he makes the club, is as a LH hitter off the bench and as an occasional fill in. I don't expect a lot out of Dauber this year, just having the threat of that LH hitter on the bench will effect some manager's decisions in some games. Maybe leave a pitcher in the game one batter too long.

I think Alomar has another year in him, as long as it's as a backup. There is no way he can be counted on to carry the load as a starter.