Man beats Horse

DBAHO

AN annual British race which pits people against horses in a gruelling course across fields and over hills saw the first-ever human winner in its 25-year history today.

A 27-year-old information technology consultant - also a leading amateur runner - triumphed in the 35km "man versus horse" competition at Llanwrtyd Wells, in Wales.

Huw Lobb came home in 2 hours and 5 minutes, just over 2 minutes ahead of the first horse and rider.

The feat won him £25,000 ($66,000), a prize which has been accumulating by £1000 ($2650) a year throughout the history of the race.

"I was the fourth Briton to finish the London marathon this year so I have been in training for a long time now. But the race is very different; I have been up and down mountains today," he said.

The race adds to a difficult month for the equine world - at the start of June, a one-off inter-species contest saw a greyhound comfortably beat a top racehorse over a 400 metre sprint.