McCain Rejects Kerry's VP Overtures

Texsox

By RON FOURNIER AP

Republican Sen. John McCain has personally rejected John Kerry's overtures to join the Democratic presidential ticket and forge a bipartisan alliance against President Bush, officials familiar with the conversations said Friday.

Kerry asked McCain in the last two weeks to consider becoming his running mate, but the Arizona senator said he's not interested, according to a Democratic official who spoke on condition of anonymity because Kerry has insisted that his deliberations be kept private. A second official involved in the discussions confirmed the account and said the Arizona senator made it clear he won't change his mind.

I think McCain is looking at a 2008 Presidential bid. Either way this election goes, 2008 is open for a GOP run. McCain has a huge potential to create a posse of McCain Democrates. Diving in with Kerry would block him of that path.

Ok, hypothetical question here:

How should a president choose his VP?

While I dont entirely think this, I wonder if maybe your best option for VP is someone who can be voted into office after the president has served 2 terms so the party keeps office. I say this because I think Dean would not really always get along with Kerry, but if Kerry is elected and serves 2 terms, Dean would be a great canidate to become president. Heck, I still think he should have been this years democratic nominee.

Howard Dean for VP!

:usa

I think he's leaning towards Clark. Bush 43 proved that balancing the ticket geographically isn't a requirement for political success. He does need someone with a solid moderate record.

Clark? I think that looses Kerry votes.

I am thinking the military experience will gain him votes from undecideds who are worried about a strong military during these times. However, I think Edwards is also a strong choice.

Ok, hypothetical question here:

How should a president choose his VP?

While I dont entirely think this, I wonder if maybe your best option for VP is someone who can be voted into office after the president has served 2 terms so the party keeps office. I say this because I think Dean would not really always get along with Kerry, but if Kerry is elected and serves 2 terms, Dean would be a great canidate to become president. Heck, I still think he should have been this years democratic nominee.

Conventional wisdom say he needs to pick a strong campaigner who can possibly carry a swing state and help him win the White House in 2004. Anything after that is gravy.

Conventional wisdom say he needs to pick a strong campaigner who can possibly carry a swing state and help him win the White House in 2004. Anything after that is gravy.

OH I agree with that entirely.

I am just pointing out another idea, that's all. We have seen people go against "conventional wisdom" in every aspect of life recently.

OH I agree with that entirely.

I am just pointing out another idea, that's all. We have seen people go against "conventional wisdom" in every aspect of life recently.

It would be nice if political parties could or would take a longer term view.

I just realized part of this is a historical view. As the attempt on Reagan's life and Kennedy's assasination move quickly into our rear view mirror, the possibility of the VP taking over isn't nearly as important as it was in the past. It may also be a product of us electing younger Presidents and our general increase in health as a population.

I am thinking the military experience will gain him votes from undecideds who are worried about a strong military during these times. However, I think Edwards is also a strong choice.

I don't know about that with Clark. I have heard him ripped incredibly heavily by those in the national defense and that isn't just those people from the current administration, but also the previous administration.

I also have a very very close family friend who has worked at a high position in national security and to say the least, I have absolutely NO faith in Clark from a military standpoint.

I don't know about that with Clark.  I have heard him ripped incredibly heavily by those in the national defense and that isn't just those people from the current administration, but also the previous administration.

I also have a very very close family friend who has worked at a high position in national security and to say the least, I have absolutely NO faith in Clark from a military standpoint.

Any Democrat receives low marks from the military, regardless of pedigree. Just like the screen actors guild would give any GOP low marks.

Not really.  That's just the Democrats. ;)

Actually Bush broke from conventional wisdom in picking a fellow Texan for V.P. that and creating an eight month calendar to lower terrorism numbers :lol:

Cheney is actually from Wyoming.

Cheney was a registered voter in Texas when selected. He had to change his addess to meet constitutional requirements. He had left Wyoming for Texas some years before. So I guess he was both a Texan and a (native) Wyoming-ian or whatever they call them! :lol:

Cheney is actually from Wyoming.

Actually Cheney needed a slight of hands to run. One of which was he residency. Haliburton is headquartered in the Dallas area. Back then Chaney did work. As I saw on The West Wing last night, now his principle constitutional responsibility is to have a heart beat, which has been a challenge for him. :lol:

Man if I had his job, I'd have over 17,000 posts here like you. :D

Actually Cheney needed a slight of hands to run. One of which was he residency. Haliburton is headquartered in the Dallas area. Back then Chaney did work. As I saw on The West Wing last night, now his principle constitutional responsibility is to have a heart beat, which has been a challenge for him.  :lol:

Man if I had his job, I'd have over 17,000 posts here like you.  :D

Are you kidding. Running the country he doesn't have any time to post, now GW should have about 25,000 posts :lol: