Shingo Eligible for Rookie of the Year

Texsox

Should Shingo be eligible for Rookie of the Year Honors?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. Should Shingo be eligible for Rookie of the Year Honors?

• Come on he's 35 with 200+ saves in Japan, no way
    • It's his first season here and meets the requirements, Yes
    • Change the rules, this is crazy

I think it disrespects Japanese baseball not not consider their league as an equal to MLB. Look at some of the guys that have done the reverse, would you consider a 32 year old ex-MLB player a "rookie" in Japan.

Change the rules, it isn't fair for the guys that are just up from AAA.

I think the writers are starting to question giving the rookie of the year award to players like Shingo. Hideki Matsui was well-deserving of the rookie of the year award in the AL last year; however, I think the media kind of froze him out because of his years in Japan. It's pretty interesting, because they gave it to Ichiro and Nomo. Also, Jackie Robinson was the rookie of the year and he had many years of experience in the Negro Leagues.

I really think he should be in the running if his numbers are there. You should have a shot at the rookie of the year award, if it's your first season in MLB.

I think it disrespects Japanese baseball not not consider their league as an equal to MLB. Look at some of the guys that have done the reverse, would you consider a 32 year old ex-MLB player a "rookie" in Japan.

Change the rules, it isn't fair for the guys that are just up from AAA.

It's no disrespect, it's the way it is. There are only a handful of Japan league players right now that could start in the MLB. On the other hand, there are probably only a handful of MLB'ers that wouldn't start in Japan. I believe Joe Crede is one of them....

I think the writers are starting to question giving the rookie of the year award to players like Shingo.  Hideki Matsui was well-deserving of the rookie of the year award in the AL last year; however, I think the media kind of froze him out because of his years in Japan.  It's pretty interesting, because they gave it to Ichiro and Nomo.  Also, Jackie Robinson was the rookie of the year and he had many years of experience in the Negro Leagues.

I really think he should be in the running if his numbers are there.  You should have a shot at the rookie of the year award, if it's your first season in MLB.

I agree here

I have always said this, and just because Shingo is on the Sox it doesn't change my opinion, if you have played professional baseball at a major league level somewhere else in the world, you shouldn't be eligible to be a Rookie of the Year.

Makarov won ROY :headbang :lol:

I have always said this, and just because Shingo is on the Sox it doesn't change my opinion, if you have played professional baseball at a major league level somewhere else in the world, you shouldn't be eligible to be a Rookie of the Year.

agreed.

Nope, not a rookie,and I agree with what SS2k4 and Texsox said. They were in professinoal leauges in Japan. Also like Texsox said, if a 33 year Darrin Jackson went to Japan, he wouldnt be considered to be up for Rookie of the year.

I agree with all three of you. Should he be eligible? Yes, because the rules say so, but they need to change the rule.

Rookie of the year should be a guy who came in and did well and has a long career ahead of him. Not a 35 year old pitcher who will be around for just a few more years.

If a player has played professional baseball at the highest level possible in any country for more than a year or two, they shouldn't be eligible.

Rookie of the Year is for the best player in his first year in the MLB

Its not for the youngest player.. age has nothing to do with the Rookie of the year, its intended for the player who was the best out of the players making their debut season in MAJOR LEAGUE BASBEALL

The award has nothing to do with other leagues, so I mean when no one agrees that someone that old should win.... its not against the rules..

I dont think they should be elligible but I mean its not against the rules... but they should be changed

I never felt the ROY should go to Japanese League veterans.  Since the rules are what they are, I will root for Shingo to get it, but I think the rules should be changed.

Exactly i will be happy for him but it needs to go. ;)