Frank Thomas All Star

Controlled Chaos

I need stats, examples and opinions. I been arguning with my friend about Frank being an all star. He says he doesn't play 1b so he shouldn't go. Anyway we been going at it back and forth. He says there are no other DH's that go to the allstar game. I mentioned Martinez, but that's all I can think of. Anyone know any others?

Basically his argument is Frank is a great hitter, but he doesn't play the field...so he shouldn't get the call for 1B allstar. He said if they had a DH on the ballot then fine, but right now it is 1B all star and Frank has played one game at first. I say bulls***...first baseman do not get voted in for their fielding...hell most players aren't voted in for their fielding...they are voted for their hitting. If he is hitting well he should get in.

Help me make my case

• Ranks 2nd in AL in HR (16)

• Ranks 8th in AL in R (43)

• Ranks 1st in AL in BB (54)

• Ranks 1st in AL in OBP (.463)

• Ranks 2nd in AL in SLG (.631)

• Ranks 1st in AL in OPS (1.094)

Projected season stats are: 118 (Runs), 154 (Hits), 38 (2Bs), 44 (HRs), 110 (RBIs), 148 (BBs), .463 (OBP), .631 (SLG), 1.094 (OPS) at a .299 BA.

• Ranks 2nd in AL in HR (16)

• Ranks 8th in AL in R (43)

• Ranks 1st in AL in BB (54)

• Ranks 1st in AL in OBP (.463)

• Ranks 2nd in AL in SLG (.631)

• Ranks 1st in AL in OPS (1.094)

Projected season stats are: 118 (Runs), 154 (Hits), 38 (2Bs), 44 (HRs), 110 (RBIs), 148 (BBs), .463 (OBP), .631 (SLG), 1.094 (OPS) at a .299 BA.

Yeah if that doesn't get you into an all star game i don't know what will.

Yeah, if the All-Star game is going to affect home-field for the World Series, I don't want Derrek Jeter as my starting shortstop with a guy like Michael Young or, (this season at least) Carlos Guillen waiting in the wings. I want the best players, who've put up the best stats thus far in the season, out there.

I think interleague play hurts the All-Star game. When it was played for the fans, it gave us those matchups you normally wouldn't have. When it was played for the fans, I could agree with the concept of letting the fans decide. Many big stars played on several more All-Star games then their stats deserved because that's what we, as fans, wanted.

Now that the game matters, and the game isn't played for the fans, but to decide home field, make some money, etc. They need to take the hit in fan interest and remove the voting from the fans. Besides, why should the fans have any input?

Well, i don't see how it matters, he can be an All-Star DH. He won't be the starting first baseman anyway, so you can give him any title you please.

I didn't think there was a DH at the all star games that are played in National League parks.... I dunno though.

I didn't think there was a DH at the all star games that are played in National League parks.... I dunno though.

Correct, no dh in nl parks for the allstar game. There should be no fan voting it's ridiculous that nomar and corky are in as of right now. If frank doesn't make it, it will be a shame.

Fan voting sucks. They should get rid of it. And now that Japan can vote too, it is even worse. The players and coaches should pick the All-Stars, not the fans. The deserving players should go, not the big names.

The game is for the fans, thus the fans vote.

Yet, they make the game matter. Sticky situation...

I need stats, examples and opinions.  I been arguning with my friend about Frank being an all star.  He says he doesn't play 1b so he shouldn't go.  Anyway we been going at it back and forth.  He says there are no other DH's that go to the allstar game.  I mentioned Martinez, but that's all I can think of.  Anyone know any others?

Basically his argument is Frank is a great hitter, but he doesn't play the field...so he shouldn't get the call for 1B allstar.  He said if they had a DH on the ballot then fine, but right now it is 1B all star and Frank has played one game at first.  I say bulls***...first baseman do not get voted in for their fielding...hell most players aren't voted in for their fielding...they are voted for their hitting.  If he is hitting well he should get in.

Help me make my case

If a DH can win a 1B Gold Glove (Palmeiro, a few years ago) why can't a DH be named a starting 1B All-Star? Sounds reasonable to me.