Man allegedly in al-Qaida plot to bomb Ohio mall

IlliniKrush

we'll get Bush out and it will be ok again  ;)  :usa  :usa  :lol:

Krush - the link did not work for me -  :huh

I don't think Bush has done a horrible Job, but I would much rather have someone else in there, but I'm not sold on Jon Kerry. Kerry seems like a carrer politician as well, but who isn't these days in Washington

It works for me, but i'll post it here, sorry cw:

Man allegedly in al-Qaida plot to bomb Ohio shopping mall

Suspect got terror training in Africa before returning to carry out attack, indictment says

Nuradin Abdi is charged with conspiring to bomb an unidentified shopping mall in Ohio as well as with immigration fraud.

NBC News and news services

Updated: 1:42 p.m. ET June 14, 2004

WASHINGTON - A Columbus, Ohio, man has been charged with participating in an al-Qaida plot to blow up an Ohio shopping mall, Attorney General John Ashcroft announced Monday.

advertisement

"The American heartland was targeted for death and destruction by an al-Qaida cell," Ashcroft said at a news conference announcing the four-count indictment of 32-year-old Nuradin Abdi, who originally is from Somalia.

A four-count indictment returned by a criminal grand jury in Columbus and unsealed on Monday charges that Abdi conspired with admitted al-Qaida member Iyman Faris and others to detonate a bomb at the unidentified shopping mall in the Columbus area after he obtained military-style training in Ethiopia.

Immigration document fraud also alleged

Abdi also is charged with fraud and misuse of documents by claiming that he had been granted valid asylum status in the United States. In fact, prosecutors say, he obtained that refugee document under false pretenses.

There also is one count each of conspiracy to provide material support to terrorists and conspiracy to provide material support to a designated foreign terrorist organization, in this case al-Qaida.

The charges against Abdi, who has been in custody since November on immigration-related violations, were handed up by the grand jury last Thursday.

Each count of the terrorism related charges carries a maximum 30-year sentence and the immigration charges carry maximum penalties of 25 years behind bars, Ashcroft said.

A government motion seeking to keep Abdi in detention says he returned to the United States from Africa in March 2000 and was met at the airport in Columbus by Faris. Those two and other unidentified coconspirators were involved in the alleged shopping mall plot, prosecutors say.

Secret travel to Africa charged

One of the immigration charges contends that Abdi concealed his true destination when he applied on April 27, 1999, for a U.S. travel document. He said he was going to Germany and Saudi Arabia to visit Mecca and relatives.

In fact, “as the defendant well knew, he planned to travel to Ogaden, Ethiopia, for the purpose of obtaining military-style training in preparation for violent Jihad,” the indictment says.

The training allegedly included use of guns, bombs and guerrilla warfare.

Faris, 34, is serving a 20-year federal sentence after pleading guilty last June to providing material support to al-Qaida. Faris, an Ohio-based truck driver originally from Kashmir, admitted plotting to sever the cables supporting the Brooklyn Bridge in New York and to derail trains in New York or Washington.

Neither of those plots came to fruition.

Faris had received instructions from top al-Qaida leader Khalid Shaikh Mohammed for what might have been a second wave of attacks to follow those of Sept. 11, 2001, investigators say. Mohammed, the alleged mastermind of the hijackings, is in U.S. custody at an undisclosed overseas location.

© 2004 MSNBC Interactive

thanks Krush!

I only read as far as I needed to, didn't read the whole story.

The story says the man is from ColUMbus, Ohio.

All I need to know.

Guilty! Guilty! Guilty! ;)

by the way, now the link works for me - must have been a hiccup in the intervet