Brandon McCarthy and Thomas Brice All Stars

Chisoxfn

Brandon McCarthy and Thomas Brice Selected to the SAL All Star Team

By Jason Gage

June 14, 2004

FutureSox.com

The South Atlantic League All Star rosters were released on June 11th with two Kannapolis Intimidators making the roster: Brandon McCarthy and Thomas Brice. The game is scheduled to be played on Tuesday June 29th, at Joseph P. Riley, Jr. park in Charleston, South Carolina. The game pits the Southern Division All Stars versus the Northern Division All Stars.

Right handed pitcher Brandon McCarthy has been the Intimidators ace going 5-3 with a 4.26 ERA. He has pitched 74 innings and limited opponents to just 67 hits while striking out 84 compared to 20 walks. McCarthy has been one of the best pitchers in the organization for a few years and has a bright future in the organization.

Outfielder Thomas Brice has been making a name for himself in Kannapolis. Unfortunately, he stands behind a list of highly touted outfield prospects that includes Jeremy Reed, Joe Borchard, Brian Anderson, and Ryan Sweeney. However, Brice was promoted to Winston Salem today and unless he is demoted, will not play in the South Atlantic League all star game. Brice was leading the Intimidators with a .307 AVG (a point better then Antoin Gray) with 6 HR and 30 RBI. He plays a tremendous outfield and can hit the low pitch as good as anyone. The Australian native credits cricket to his level swing that results in lots of hard hit line drives.

FutureSox would just like to congratulate Brandon McCarthy and Thomas Brice of these honors and wishes them continued sucess in their young careers.

BMac rules! :headbang Damn shame Brice won't be in the game. I hope the Sox demote him for a bit just so he can play in the game as a favor of sorts. And Jason, Australia is a proper noun, you have it lower case in 2 articles. :rolleyes: :dips***

Congrats to those two!

Can someone here tell me whats up with B-Mac's ERA? He has a low WHIP, and seems to have good numbers across the board, yet his ERA is surprisingly high.

This especially surprises me because usually there is a correlation between high whip and high era, but B-Mac has a very low whip, and a very average ERA. Is this just a case of bad luck, or is he one of those pitchers who has had one or two absolutely horrible games that inflate the ERA?

Congrats to B-Mac and Brice (although he prob. won't play).  They both are more than deserving to be named all-stars.  :cheers

Is this game gonna be on t.v. at all like the AAA and AA all-star games are?

Good job to those two. And i doubt it'll be on T.V. unless some local station picks it up for a local team

Good job to those two. And i doubt it'll be on T.V. unless some local station picks it up for a local team

I know the SAL had a tv deal with some southeastern network to have a game of the week, but it was regional coverage only. I doubt it will be on tv.

I know the SAL had a tv deal with some southeastern network to have a game of the week, but it was regional coverage only. I doubt it will be on tv.

The Southern League also has the same deal. You may be able to pick it up in some areas on Comcast. It is a cable only station called CSS. Southern League games begin either this Saturday or next. The two games featuring the Barons at home are July 3 and August 7. Not sure if they will be televised in any road games.