Olivo

Gene Honda Civic

A couple of Mr Zero's posts in another thread made me want to start another post.

I think this deserves it's own topic.

I have some questions about the way he is being handled. He doesn't seem to be being used in the best way possible for this team.

He's 25. will turn 26 in the middle of the season. But Olivo has shown great improvement this year. That 10 pitch AB in the 4th inning the other day really showed how much hes grown. I still think there is room for him to grow.

But let's take a look at some numbers.

2003 RHP LHP
Sandy .284 .223
Mo .212 .302

2004 RHP LHP
Sandy .271 .308
Mo .192 .459

Miguel has destroyed LHP this year, after hitting above .300 vs. LHP for a full season last year.

But he has been lightly used this year. Ozzy seems to have Sandy catching both lefties (MB & SS) and Mo catching the righties (EL & JG) regarless of the opposing pitcher.

Last year Mo got 317 AB's. Currently he is only on pace to take 315. WHY????

He is destroying his offensive output from last season. He should sit in favor of sandy if we're facing a tough righty, or MB is out on the hill, but he should play every other friken' day.

From May17th - June 13th last season he played in every single game. (meaning he at least PH or PR or came in as a defensive sub for someone.) That's practically a one month stretch. This year his longest streak of playing everyday is 5 games. WHY????

He has as many HR's this year as he had all of last season. Has stolen one less base than last season. Has lowered his BB/K ratio (1:4 in '03 compared to 1:3 this year) Has increased his OPS by .200 points. Has only 3 less RBI's than last season.

This kid needs to play more often.

------------------------------------

Here's something else I don't think anyone else brought it up :ph34r:

The teams long term "ace" doesn't particular like throwing to him. He would rather throw to a AAAA player.

This quote was glossed over by everybody after sundays victory, where Jamie Burke played admirably.

"I told Coop (pitching coach Don Cooper) that if Sandy can't catch, I would rather throw to Jamie," Buehrle said of Burke. "I've thrown to Jamie in Spring Training, and he catches my bullpens. It gives him some playing time, and I like throwing to him."

I'd say that, but it is important how a catcher calls a game and typically I notice Olivo sometimes makes some bad calls behind the plate, but they are youngster mistakes.

Sandy is teaching him and you can see he's getting better. The one thing that really stands out is how awful he is hitting righties. That is absolutely brutal and its because he's still having trouble laying off the outside breaking ball.

I do agree though, I would be playing Olivo every other time at the very least with Scho.

His stats against RHP are still a cause for concern, but I believe he will be able to improve them. Having Sandy by his side has to help immensely. Mark better get used to pitching to Miguel, because Sandy isn't going to be around much longer. But, no matter who we are pitching, it is an absolute MUST that he starts against LHP. He's obliterating them.

I hope Miguel improves his numbers against RHP during the course of the season, that would help his cause greatly. Right now I still feel platooning them, but giving Miguel the edge in game started is the wisest way to go.

A couple of Mr Zero's posts in another thread made me want to start another post.

:ph34r: The ones in the Gammons thread about 3rd Basemen and Catchers for Beltran?

I think this deserves it's own topic.

I have some questions about the way he is being handled.  He doesn't seem to be being used in the best way possible for this team.

He's 25. will turn 26 in the middle of the season.  But Olivo has shown great improvement this year.  That 10 pitch AB in the 4th inning the other day really showed how much hes grown.  I still think there is room for him to grow.

But let's take a look at some numbers.

2003 RHP LHP
Sandy .284 .223
Mo .212 .302

2004 RHP LHP
Sandy .271 .308
Mo .192 .459

Miguel has destroyed LHP this year, after hitting above .300 vs. LHP for a full season last year.

But he has been lightly used this year.  Ozzy seems to have Sandy catching both lefties (MB & SS) and Mo catching the righties (EL & JG) regarless of the opposing pitcher.

Last year Mo got 317 AB's.  Currently he is only on pace to take 315.  WHY????

He is destroying his offensive output from last season.  He should sit in favor of sandy if we're facing a tough righty, or MB is out on the hill, but he should play every other friken' day.

From May17th - June 13th last season he played in every single game. (meaning he at least PH or PR or came in as a defensive sub for someone.) That's practically a one month stretch.  This year his longest streak of playing everyday is 5 games. WHY????

He has as many HR's this year as he had all of last season.  Has stolen one less base than last season.  Has lowered his BB/K ratio (1:4 in '03 compared to 1:3 this year)  Has increased his OPS by .200 points. Has only 3 less RBI's than last season.

This kid needs to play more often.

------------------------------------

Here's something else I don't think anyone else brought it up :ph34r:

The teams long term "ace" doesn't particular like throwing to him.  He would rather throw to a AAAA player.

This quote was glossed over by everybody after sundays victory, where Jamie Burke played admirably.

I never even really noticed. You make some good points. But, like somebody said earlier. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Our pitching has been quite fine regardless of who the catcher is. This is more than likely Sandy's last year anyways. Meaning Olivo, will have the starting catching spot locked up for the next 5-7 years.

Cheat makes an interesting argument though. If Sandy does retire at the end of this season, will Miggy become the everyday catcher? Will he catch Buerhle? Or do we leave Burke as the backup catcher or go out into free agency and sign a veteran stopper like a Mike Matheny etc. ;)

Cheat makes an interesting argument though. If Sandy does retire at the end of this season, will Miggy become the everyday catcher? Will he catch Buerhle? Or do we leave Burke as the backup catcher or go out into free agency and sign a veteran stopper like a Mike Matheny etc.  ;)

I think without a doubt that Olivo, becaomes the everyday catcher. The guy has a world of talent. His offense this year compared to last year is like night and day. He's got a cannon for an arm. His game calling is improving. He's FAST AS HELL for a catcher. I love the guy. No need to look for any other catcher. Unless you're talkin about somebody like, Piazza ;)

I don't know if MB prefers Sandy all too much.  Was at the game Sunday and Burke was the catcher.

I believe that is because Alomar was unavailable (he'd caught the Saturday game and maybe the Friday one, too). It was mentioned earlier in the thread that MB preferred Burke to Olivo with Alomar unavailable.

Buehrle is going to have to adjust to Olivo. He feels comfortable with Sandy, and that's cool. He felt more comfortable with Burke because of bullpen sessions, but he knows it's eventually going to be MO. Mark's a pro. This will not be a problem.

Game winning RBI. -- Didn't take the bat off his shoulder.

Would have struck out last year.

We were all saying in the chat room "Don't swing!". Florida wasted a lot of their bullpen tonight as well. ;)