Konerko

Jim Fainter

It's my experience that sluggers like Paul Konerko seem to hit their peak around age 30 or so, then level off somewhat for a few years before their hitting skills start to diminish. PK has five years in the bigs, and you can discount his first year when he didn't play much and was traded in mid-season to the Reds. Then we got him.

Starting in 1999 he has had four full seasons as a full time player, and his stats have increased ever so slightly each year. He is still improving, and I think he will continue improving for the next 2-3 years until he levels off. In one of those years he will have a significant leap forward in productivity. I'm saying that this is the year for that to happen. His age is 27.

If PK had a "hole" in his swing, the pitchers would have found it by now. He has already proven that he is a very good, dangerous power hitter. He has everything going for him now to have a really great offensive year as he seeks that particular skill level that will define his career, kind of like Maggs did last year.

I know there are exceptions to my thinking, like Barry Bonds, who made a quantum leap in his late 30's. If PK stays healthy, you all watch, he will take that proverbial step upward in offensive productivity.

If PK stays healthy, you all watch, he will take that proverbial step upward in offensive productivity.

That's the thing that worries me about PK. That hip thing can cause so many other problems (I watched my sister go through problem and problem that was related to a hip injury from when she was 10). If there is some way to avoid developing the injuries he's had (mostly foot injuries), I am hoping a full year will be like the first half of last year.

Guest hotsoxchick1

exactly 14......the hip thing is what bothers me alot when it comes to paulie... i watched how quickly it took bo out of sports and look at how fast it took belle too........its only a matter of time and if paulie pushes himself like hes doing it will most likely happen faster than not..........paulie may be peaking now but it will be his health that will push him back down eventually.......sad to say but thats what happens........

Overrated? By whom, sox fans? In order to be overrated you have to be overrated across the nation...and i don't see that at all

He's overrated by Sox fans. He's barely in the top 1/2 of first basemen in baseball.

I think you are confusing overrated with popular. Two totally different things...