Trib Brimingham Article

DBAHO

JACKSON, Tenn. -- Sammy Sosa was duly impressed. So, too, was Oneri Fleita, the Cubs' director of player development.

Sosa, rehabilitating with the West Tenn Diamond Jaxx, the Cubs' Double-A affiliate, went 1-for-4 Monday night against Birmingham Barons left-handed starter Arnie Munoz.

"He's a good pitcher, no question about it," Sosa said of Munoz, perhaps the White Sox's top Double-A prospect.

Soon, many other major-leaguers could be joining the chorus to sing the praises of Munoz, a Dominican pitcher who has yet to celebrate his 22nd birthday.

Only 5 feet 9 inches and 170 pounds, Munoz, looms large in the White Sox organization. In fact, he could start for the Sox on Saturday in Montreal when the club resumes is search for a fifth starter.

If he does come up, Sox fans can expect to see a wicked curveball combined with an above-average fastball to keep hitters off-balance.

Plus, Munoz is a workhorse. His 74 2/3 innings is second in the Southern League only to Cubs farmhand Bobby Brownlie's 771/3 for West Tenn. Opponents are batting a paltry .195 against Munoz, who has given up only one home run this season.

"He can pitch in the major leagues any day. Hopefully, I'll get a chance to see him in a major-league game," Sosa said.

"I sure wish we had him," Fleita added. "Good thing he's in the American League."

Here's a look at four other promising prospects currently playing for the White Sox's Double-A affiliate.

Jeff Bajenaru

Right-handed relief pitcher

Bajenaru boasts a 1.05 earned-run average in 252/3 innings. With a fastball in the mid-90s and an excellent curveball, Bajenaru, 26, is turning heads all over the Southern League.

Ryan Meaux

Left-handed starting pitcher

Meaux made his way to the White Sox organization in 2002, a part of the trade that sent Kenny Lofton to the San Francisco Giants. Although he is just 2-5 on the year, Meaux is a heady pitcher who looked sharp in the Barons' 2-1 loss to the Diamond Jaxx Sunday night. Although his stuff isn't overpowering, it's believed Meaux could become a good big-league setup man.

Michael Morse

Shortstop

At 6-4, Morse is taller than your average shortstop. Then again, there's nothing average about Morse, who has 25 extra-base hits, including 11 home runs, on the season. He is also a solid defensive presence. He is, though, a bit less disciplined at the plate than the Sox might like. Although he is hitting a respectable .289, Morse has collected only 14 walks this year.

Michael Spidale

Outfielder

Spidale, who hails from Broadview, Ill., boasts discipline, a good eye at the plate, a .300 batting average and 16 doubles on the season. But he has only one home run, too few for a center fielder. Spidale has room on his 6-2 frame to fill out a bit and, at only 22, he also has time.

Rex,  Are you relying on the jug gun posted on the score board?  My understanding is that it is always 3-4 mph slow.  But maybe you have you have your own gun.

You are correct, that gun is often off. Sometimes as much as 4 mph, but mostly 2-3. When pitches get above 90, it seems to only be 1-2 mph off. Go figure?

I see that gun and often stand behind scouts and watch their guns. I am aware of the difference in the radar readings and accommodate for that.

I also don't get too caught up in radar gun readings, because whether Baj is throwing 94 or 91, he can still pitch in the big leagues.