Did anyone here go to a 1983 playoff game?

BlizzardOfOzzie

Well, I was 11 years old in 1983, but my priorities at that time were Motley Crue, Ratt, Ozzy Osbourne, and all things heavy metal. Besides, I grew up in Rockford, which does have its share of Sox fans, but since it's more northwest, its mostly a Cubs town - another reason Rockford sucks and I'll never live there again!

Wait - in Baltimore? You mean the Sox never even got a home game for that series?

They won the 1st one in Baltimore and lost the last three. The last game was the infamous 11th inning game, Britt Burns/Tito Landrum/Jerry Dybzynski.

The thing I remember most is the momentum of the team after the All Star break, they were unstoppable.

And how much fun it was at the ballpark, and outside before the ballpark. I was 22 then and spent a fair amount of time at various watering holes in Bridgeport, they were rockin'. Magical.

Well, I was 11 years old in 1983, but my priorities at that time were Motley Crue, Ratt, Ozzy Osbourne, and all things heavy metal.  Besides, I grew up in Rockford, which does have its share of Sox fans, but since it's more northwest, its mostly a Cubs town - another reason Rockford sucks and I'll never live there again!

Wait - in Baltimore?  You mean the Sox never even got a home game for that series?

I went to a game there, then here. It was nice here that I remember, except for the losing part. I was just a youngin.. some of these older fella's can elaborate more I'm sure. :lol:

went to all four games. Sox should have won that series -- and the World Series.

the Sox had the best team.

LaMarr Hoyt shut the Orioles down in Baltimore in Game One. They lost game two in Balty -- and then Richard Dotson got drilled in Game Three on a chilly Friday night in Comiskey.

the Saturday afternoon game was a classic. Packed house. Britt Burns pitched a masterpiece, shutout into extra innings. Tito Landrum broke it up with a massive two or three-run homer into the left-field upper deck.

Sox should have won it in the eighth or ninth, but Jerry Dybzinski got picked off second base after he rounded the base too far.

That team had the best starting pitching staff the Sox have ever had 1-5 -- Hoyt (who won the Cy Young), Richard Dotson, Floyd Bannister, Britt Burns and Steve Trout. I give them the nod over McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere because they had more lefties and a better fifth starter.

Not to tangent off the subject, but yeah - Rockford sucks ass. I mean, growing up there as a kid and through high school was fine - no complaints there. But, I just always felt Rockford had a big black cloud hanging over it. Almost no culture diversity at all, although I did go to school all my life with a decent mix of race, etc.

It just sucks. I go back to visit family and that's it. At least Rockford DOES show every Sox game on TV, which is a damn good thing for me while I'm there and the Sox are playing. If all they had was Cubs games, they can forget my visits!

My dad went to the final game of that series, and the second home game of the 1959 series and game 1 in 1993, and games 1 and 2 in 2000. That gives him a beautiful playoff record of 0-5!

I went to game 1 in 93 and game 1 in 2000, so I also lack a win. However very few living people, if any, have witnessed the Sox win a playoff game in chicago.

I was only 8, and I remember the Sox broke my heart...time passed, and old wounds healed...then, they did it again in 1993 and 1994...and then again in 2000...

Hmm...thanks for opening old wounds, whoever started this thread...now I'm gonna go cry for a while. :nono :crying

Well, again - this is only my 5th year of being a Sox fan, so I just wanted to pick the brains of the long-time die-hards. Didn't mean to stir up any bad memories.

Trust me - I know disappointment. I was in 7th grade when the Bears won the Super Bowl AND I was a Packer fan then like I am now and I STILL have mental scars from all the verbal abuse. I've been to 58 games at Lambeau Field since 1984, MOST of those when we sucked in the 1980's. So, I can relate to being sad and disappointed.

I just know that 1983 was a magical year for Sox fans, even though a World Series did not happen.

Well, again - this is only my 5th year of being a Sox fan, so I just wanted to pick the brains of the long-time die-hards.  Didn't mean to stir up any bad memories.

Trust me - I know disappointment.  I was in 7th grade when the Bears won the Super Bowl AND I was a Packer fan then like I am now and I STILL have mental scars from all the verbal abuse.  I've been to 58 games at Lambeau Field since 1984, MOST of those when we sucked in the 1980's.  So, I can relate to being sad and disappointed.

I just know that 1983 was a magical year for Sox fans, even though a World Series did not happen.

Now I have to like you...I'm also a Packer fan...born and raised and living in Bridgeport, Chicago. :)

I wear my Favre jersey around the neighborhood all the time and get heckled all the time...but it's all in fun...I respect the Bears...but I don't like them!

As for 1985...all I have to say is 1996.

:cheers

My dad went to the final game of that series, and the second home game of the 1959 series and game 1 in 1993, and games 1 and 2 in 2000.  That gives him a beautiful playoff record of 0-5! 

I went to game 1 in 93 and game 1 in 2000, so I also lack a win.  However very few living people, if any, have witnessed the Sox win a playoff game in chicago.

My dad would be one.

He was at Game 1 of the '59 series, an 11-0 Sox romp over the Dodgers.

Just talked to him today, in fact.

Y2HH - Glad to know I'm not the only one! Yes - 1996 was sweet.

Perhaps we'll have to hook up in Bridgeport after a Sox game sometime for a few cold ones at First Base, or something. I'm not too familiar with a lot of the bars over there, but I'd love to check them out. All this crap about "you can't go to the bars after Sox games, blah, blah, blah". Whatever. I'm all for it.

My dad would be one.

He was at Game 1 of the '59 series, an 11-0 Sox romp over the Dodgers.

Just talked to him today, in fact.

Yea, I forgot about that one. Hopefully quite a few of the people at that game are still around to tell the stories.

Well, I was 11 years old in 1983, but my priorities at that time were Motley Crue, Ratt, Ozzy Osbourne, and all things heavy metal.  Besides, I grew up in Rockford, which does have its share of Sox fans, but since it's more northwest, its mostly a Cubs town - another reason Rockford sucks and I'll never live there again!

Wait - in Baltimore?  You mean the Sox never even got a home game for that series?

I love Heavy Metal!!! :headbang But i don't think Ratt was around in 1983 (I could be wrong)

I was 8 and don't remember much i was just moved down here and had no Sox Coverage

Packers suck!

Now, with regard to '83, I was at the last two games. It was heart wrenching. Especially the final one. Britt Burns pitched fantastic but we just couldn't score any runs in that damn series (kind of like 2000). I will never forgive Jerry Dybzinski for over running second base and getting picked late in the game. He was the winning run. Then, that bastard Tito Landrum who probably only had one big hit in his entire career hit the game-winner.

Great memories. :crying

I was at these games with my Dad. I was 17 which apparently makes me an old man on this board.

JoshPR - Oh yes - Ratt was around in 1983.  That was the year their self-titled EP  debut came out.  Their biggest commercial success, Out of the Cellar, came out one year later in 1984.

"round and round"

"what comes around goes around"

Musical geniuses those guys...

I saw Ratt at what used to be called the Horizon sometime in '83 to '85 time period. The opening act was a little old band by the name of Bon Jovi. :snr

Now, the more fascinating question might be where were you when Julio Cruz scored the winning run clinching the division title in 1983?

I was at Northern Illinois University visiting my girlfriend drinking beers and running around giving high fives to people throughout one of the dorms there. I was a senior in high school during September-October 1983.