Did anyone here go to a 1983 playoff game?

BlizzardOfOzzie

JoshPR - Oh yes - Ratt was around in 1983.  That was the year their self-titled EP  debut came out.  Their biggest commercial success, Out of the Cellar, came out one year later in 1984.

Yeah I remember that sorry

went to all four games. Sox should have won that series -- and the World Series.

the Sox had the best team.

LaMarr Hoyt shut the Orioles down in Baltimore in Game One. They lost game two in Balty -- and then Richard Dotson got drilled in Game Three on a chilly Friday night in Comiskey.

the Saturday afternoon game was a classic. Packed house. Britt Burns pitched a masterpiece, shutout into extra innings. Tito Landrum broke it up with a massive two  or three-run homer into the left-field upper deck.

Sox should have won it in the eighth or ninth, but Jerry Dybzinski got picked off second base after he rounded the base too far.

That team had the best starting pitching staff the Sox have ever had 1-5 -- Hoyt (who won the Cy Young), Richard Dotson, Floyd Bannister, Britt Burns and Steve Trout. I give them the nod over McDowell, Fernandez, Alvarez and Bere because they had more lefties and a better fifth starter.

I remember a bean ball war distracting the Sox. In game 2 Paciorek and Luzinski were hit; then Kittle in game 3. The Sox hit Ripken and Roenicke but I always felt they were intimidated.

I have never seen a LaRussa team look intimidated since.

I was also at the two Comiskey playoff games in 1983. Murray crushed a home run off of Dotson in game 3, and the game was over early. Then Burns was fabulous in game 4. Here's a stat for you. The ball Landrum hit to win the game was Britt's 150th - yes, 150th pitch of the game.

Dybber still sucks for overrunning second base.

ALso, 1983 was the All Star game at Comiskey, Lynn's slam, and a ton of roof top homers from Kittie and Luzinski. There's something about a roof shot that makes the homer look extra long, even if it wasn't. 1983 was a great year with an awful end.