2005 Draft

dasox24

Although the 2005 draft is just under a year away, I thought we could make up a list of people who will be available in the first couple rounds of next years draft. Anyway, here's a few players that I could think of:

College

Stephen Head- 1B/LHP- Ole Miss (university of miss.)

John Mayberry Jr.- 1B/OF- Stanford

Mike Pelfrey- RHP- Witchita St.

Jeff Clement- Catcher- USC

Alex Gordon- 3B- Nebraska

Tyler Greene- SS- Georgia Tech

Jed Lowrie- 2B- Stanford

High School

Justin Upton (B.J. Upton's bro)- SS- Great Bridge H.S. (Chesapeake, Va.)

Sorry, I don't really know any upcoming HS seniors except for Upton.

Alright, I just started this thread b/c I have nothing else to do so let's have fun w/ it, and not have anyone get all pissed about a thread that's for a draft that's a year away.

I only left Jeff Larish (Arizona st.) and Micah Owings (Georgia Tech) off the list b/c even though they probably won't sign and will go back to school, anything is possible, so I wouldn't add them until they're back at school for sure.

Here you go from BA.

Rather than give you one combined Top 10, I'll give you editor in chief Allan Simpson's separate Top 10 college and high school prospect lists for 2005:

Top College Prospects, 2005

Player Pos School

1. Mike Pelfrey rhp Wichita State

2. Jeff Clement c Southern California

3. Alex Gordon 3b Nebraska

4. Stephen Head 1b/lhp Mississippi

5. John Mayberry Jr. 1b/of Stanford

6. Tyler Greene ss Georgia Tech

7. Brian Bogusevic of/lhp Tulane

8. Mark McCormick rhp Baylor

9. Jed Lowrie 2b Stanford

10. Stephen Kahn rhp Loyola Marymount

Top High School Prospects, 2005

Player Pos School Hometown

1. Justin Upton ss Great Bridge HS Chesapeake, Va.

2. Iain Sebastian rhp/1b Columbus HS Columbus, Ga.

3. Miers Quigley lhp Roswell HS Roswell, Ga.

4. Austin Jackson of Denton Ryan HS Denton, Texas

5. Justin Bristow ss/rhp Mills Godwin HS Richmond

6. Andrew McCutchen of Fort Meade HS Fort Meade, Fla.

7. Eric Massingham rhp De La Salle HS Benicia, Calif.

8. Bradley Clark rhp Sickles HS Tampa

9. Jeremy Hellickson rhp Hoover HS Des Moines

10. Zach Putnam rhp/3b Pioneer HS Ann Arbor, Mich.

Justin Upton very well could be the first pick in the 2005 draft, though right now the Expos would own that pick and perhaps they would want to choose someone who could help them in the more immediate future. The early hyperbole on Justin is that he's better than B.J. was at the same stage, though if he's even nearly as good as B.J. has looked so far, that should be plenty good enough. Next year's crop almost has to be better than the 2004 group by default, especially in terms of position players.

Justin Upton very well could be the first pick in the 2005 draft, though right now the Expos would own that pick and perhaps they would want to choose someone who could help them in the more immediate future. The early hyperbole on Justin is that he's better than B.J. was at the same stage, though if he's even nearly as good as B.J. has looked so far, that should be plenty good enough. Next year's crop almost has to be better than the 2004 group by default, especially in terms of position players.

If the NL Padres got the 1st pick this year, shouldn't an AL team get the 1st pick next year? :huh:

If the NL Padres got the 1st pick this year, shouldn't an AL team get the 1st pick next year? :huh:

Actually, starting w/ the 2005 Draft, they're not rotating the team w/ the top pick by league. So, since the Expos have the worst record out of everyone, they would have the top pick.

anyone know if Mike Bowden...(upcoming senior) is a legitimate draft prospect...he was the only junior to make the allstate team this year from the tribune.

Mike Bowden from Waubonsie Valley? My sister dated him...weird you mentioned him...if it is the same guy...