SoxFan1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and now Curt Schilling takes advantage of the thin air.. a grand slam!  :lol:

I mean single.

Jackass. I missed that you wrote single, and I was looking forward to the highlights. When I saw it, I went WTF! :lol:

Rivas' drive over the wall in the left-field corner was called fair by third base umpire Brian O'Nora. Television replays, however, clearly showed the ball sailed to the left of the net that serves as a foul pole at Olympic Stadium and should have been ruled foul.

"The replay just confirmed what you saw, that's all," said Robinson, the Expos' manager who was ejected after a lengthy argument. "In plain language, (O'Nora) said he saw it and he saw the ball hit the foul pole. He saw it shaking."

Expos left fielder Brad Wilkerson immediately jumped up and down when he saw O'Nora signal a fair ball. Wilkerson ran in to join third baseman Tony Batista and Robinson, who came out of the dugout to argue.

"I was close enough to see it, I don't need to see a replay," Wilkerson said. "I saw it hit the (back) wall and bounce back. I looked down and he signaled fair ball and I was just caught by surprise so I was just trying to get in there and give any help I could to try to get the call right, and it didn't work."

O'Nora was joined by umpires Phil Cuzzi, Mike Fichter and Brian Knight, who conferred but let the decision stand.

"I saw the umpire signal home run and that's all I really (care) about, to tell you the truth," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "I didn't see it. I haven't looked at a replay. I'm not really worried about it -- it's one point for us."

Robinson repeatedly berated the entire crew, continuing after he returned to the dugout before he was ejected by crew chief Fichter, the first base umpire.

Robinson came back out of the dugout to renew his dispute with Fichter. The manager made a series of choking gestures before he was ejected, bowing toward O'Nora to the applause of the tiny crowd of 3,763.

"What can you do about it?" Robinson said. "Four guys out there all saying that they saw it the same way - you've got to be kidding me! Didn't any of them see it the right way? That's the key. I don't care how they saw it, all four may have seen it one way, but it wasn't right."

Expos fans gave a mock cheer after every foul ball the rest of the innings. Three fans were swarmed by security guards after the game when they banged on the door to the umpire's room.

The umpires were not available for comment.

"I didn't even see the ball," Rivas said. "When I got to first base I thought they would call it foul and when I saw the umpire, he called it fair."