• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

White Sox need bats to heat up

06/16/2004 11:58 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Paul Konerko has the perfect remedy to get over Wednesday's shutout defeat, the team's third such loss of the season and first since May 13 in the first game of a doubleheader against Baltimore.

Come out Thursday and get the offense going against Florida ace Josh Beckett.

"The best thing we can do about this one is get it out of our minds as quick as we can," Konerko said. "Just tip your hat (to Pavano), and that's it. Go home and go get them tomorrow."

Esteban Loaiza gets the start against Beckett, who comes off the disabled list for Thursday's trip to the mound. The White Sox right-hander has won his last three decisions and owns a 3.74 earned run average over his last six starts. Loaiza sits three wins away from 100 for his career.

Chicago starts the night one-half game behind Minnesota in the Central. The Twins rallied to beat Montreal in 10 innings Wednesday.

Pitching matchup

FLA: RHP Josh Beckett

4-4, 4.06 ERA in 2004

Has never faced the White Sox

CHI: RHP Esteban Loaiza

5-4, 4.18 ERA in 2004

Did not face Marlins in 2003

2-5, 7.30 lifetime vs. FLA

Players to watch

After a rough month in which his average dropped below .210, third baseman Joe Crede is starting to come to life. Crede doubled Wednesday against Carl Pavano and has six hits in his last 11 at-bats. Crede has scored eight runs in the past six games. Frank Thomas also should be back in the lineup Thursday, carrying a stretch of four home runs in his last three games.

Quotable

"I feel like I'm throwing the ball pretty well. It's how things go some times. I'm in one of those streaks where things aren't going my way." --White Sox pitcher Scott Schoeneweis, who lost for the fourth time Wednesday in his last five decisions

On the Internet:

MLB.TV

Gameday Audio

Gameday

Official game notes

On television:

CHI: Fox Sports Net

FLA: Fox Sports Net

On radio:

CHI: ESPN Radio 1000

FLA: 560 WQAM, 1140 AM WQBA

Quick hits

Carlos Lee's hitting streak ended at a career-high 28 games. Lee broke the franchise record previously held by Albert Belle (1997) and Luke Appling (1936) with a 10th-inning double on Tuesday. ... Schoeneweis' third-inning double was the first extra-base hit by a White Sox pitcher since James Baldwin tripled against St. Louis on July 17, 1999. ... Crede has six hits in his last 11 at-bats. ... Jon Adkins has allowed one run over his last seven games. ... The White Sox are 4-3 in Interleague Play. They are 14-15 on the road, 1-1 on this current six-game road trip and 18-16 at night. ... The White Sox were 27-34 after 61 games in 2003, and in third place, 8 1/2 games out of first.

On deck

Friday: at Expos, 6:05 p.m. CT

Saturday: at Expos, 6:05 p.m. CT

Sunday: at Expos, 12:05 p.m. CT

Monday: vs. Indians, 7:05 p.m. CT

Tuesday: vs. Indians, 7:05 p.m. CT

Wednesday: vs. Indians, 7:05 p.m. CT

The bats are coming out tonight.

I'd like to see a line-up without Jose, just for a night. Put Uribe at SS, Harris at 2B, Rowand in CF.

I think we're going to kill them tonight. I just sort of have that feeling.

Beckett has yet to figure out how to dominate in the regular season like he did in the postseason last year.

Lets hope he doesn't put it together tonight. Go Sox!

Another big game tonight

Astros vs. Cubs (Oswalt vs. Rusch) :fthecubs

Is Loaiza really 5-4?

My sig says 7-3 with a 4.05 ERA  ;)

lol...must be a mistake by chisox.com/mlb.com. the web site has him at 7-3 with a 4.05 on the schedule on the first page but has 5-4 and whatever the era is in this story. by the way, here is the link to the story--they have yet to correct it...