Yankees "real close" to acquiring Freddy Garcia

redandwhite

Over the course of 80 games or so, Contreras could be just as effective as Garcia. He wouldn't cost the prospects Garcia would. He would be under contract for 3 or so years, with the Yankees picking up most of the tab. He also could be an option for a closer, especially in the playoffs. Depending on Garcia's price tag playerwise, I'd almost rather have Contreras. Garcia was brutal last year, and although deserving of a better fate, is 3-6 this season. He isn't exactly a 1 or 2 starter himself.

Last year was by far the worst of Garcia's career, he had some problems with burst ear drums and he was far from brutal. If you think contreras is as good of a pitcher as Garcia your nuts. I wouldn't mind getting conteras to put in the bullpen if the yanks picked up his salary but in no way is he even close to the pitcher Freddy is.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year was by far the worst of Garcia's career, he had some problems with burst ear drums and he was far from brutal.  If you think contreras is as good of a pitcher as Garcia your nuts.  I wouldn't mind getting conteras to put in the bullpen if the yanks picked up his salary but in no way is he even close to the pitcher Freddy is.

Jose is just a little mentally messed up right now. IMO Coop and Ozzie could make a real difference with this kid. When his stuff is right, he is dominant.

But overall, yeah, I'd rather have the proven Garcia.

I knew this would happen.  I called it last night.  The Yankees get who they want,  when they want.  And there ain't s*** anybody can do about it.  Here's to them getting to the world series and probably winning it  :fyou

The Yankees don't have anything. I really feel right now that the Yankees would already have acquired Garcia had they had anything of importance in their minor league system, I mean come on, there the Yankees.

The Yankees don't have anything.  I really feel right now that the Yankees would already have acquired Garcia had they had anything of importance in their minor league system, I mean come on, there the Yankees.

That's a pretty good point. Their system is pretty empty right now.

The Yankees have Robinson Cano, Jaquain Arias, Dioner Navarro and umm...Sardinha?

Outside of Duncan, they have absolutely nothing really.

I think KW would have Garcia by now if he gave up Borchard in the deal. If you're honestly worrying about giving up Borchard for a front of the line stater, you've got problems.

The Yankees have Robinson Cano, Jaquain Arias, Dioner Navarro and umm...Sardinha?

Outside of Duncan, they have absolutely nothing really.

I think KW would have Garcia by now if he gave up Borchard in the deal. If you're honestly worrying about giving up Borchard for a front of the line stater, you've got problems.

If KW plans on signing him then go ahead and give up Borchard but I'd have a problem with that too if it's just a rent-a-player.

If KW plans on signing him then go ahead and give up Borchard but I'd have a problem with that too if it's just a rent-a-player.

Borchard has a freaking .328 OBP in AAA in over 200 ABs. When you've got guys like Reed, Anderson and Sweeney behind him, Borchard should be deemed expendable, rent-a-player or not.

I wouldn't mind Livan.  Benson would be ok...but please not Armas or Jennings.  If a change of scenery returned Jennings to his old form it would be great, but right now he couldn't get the ball over lake michigan.

All i have to say is benson is a piece of s***

In light of recent developments, I'm going to make a prediction. 

Jon Rauch & Wilson Valdez for Freddie Garcia.

Just a hunch on my part.  There is no basis of validity to this.

The M's want young position prospects real bad. I can't really see them taking Valdez, I still think Rauch and Rowand will end up being the deal for Garcia, throw in another prospect or 2 and go afta Pineiro. ;)

Try to understand this guys.

Freddy Garcia is a FLY BALL pitcher in a PITCHER'S PARK!

Besides that we have no chances of signing him to a second year.

Why not go after Livian Hernandez who we known will be here at least 2 years and isn't a fly ball pitcher.

Freddy will give up way too many HR's and you will all be b****ing when it costs us the playoffs.

The only way I take him is if it's for Jon Rauch straight up and the Mariners take half of his salary. Considering what a tee ball stand he'd be in our ball park thats actually overpaying.

Hernandez is just better in every imaginable way...Plus we have him two years...

I wouldn't mind Livan.  Benson would be ok...but please not Armas or Jennings.  If a change of scenery returned Jennings to his old form it would be great, but right now he couldn't get the ball over lake michigan.

benson would be a HUGE gamble, he really needs to start pitching well because he hasn't been getting the job done enough to change my mind.

Try to understand this guys.

Freddy Garcia is a FLY BALL pitcher in a PITCHER'S PARK!

I made that argument 3 weeks to a month ago, but it's losing it's bite.

At the time we had 4 starters with ERA's under 4. I wasn't willing to give up too much to gamble on a Guy. We don't appear to have the staff that I thought we did a month ago.

Besides that we have no chances of signing him to a second year.

Why not? We have plenty of room, moneywise, next year. Freddy has already stated that he's willing to negociate with his new team.

Why not go after Livian Hernandez who we known will be here at least 2 years and isn't a fly ball pitcher.

Livan signed a 3 year extension in April.. He'll be in Montreal for the next two years. Maybe he'll be traded in 2007, but his contract is actually for less money that year, so the Northern Virginia team will probably keep him. Simply put, he's not gonig anywhere this year.

Freddy will give up way too many HR's and you will all be b****ing when it costs us the playoffs.

Freddy's HR rate (away from home) is comparable to Estebans (away from home). But freddy's Strikeout, and walks are better.

The only way I take him is if it's for Jon Rauch straight up and the Mariners take half of his salary. Considering what a tee ball stand he'd be in our ball park thats actually overpaying.

Take a look at Rauch's post 2000 HR rate in the minors. Multiply it by 1.5, to compensate for major league hitters, and the band box we play in, and tell me that Rauch is better than garcia.

Hernandez is just better in every imaginable way...Plus we have him two years...

Signed through 2007.... That makes 3+ years. Also means they're not trading him.

The Yankees are pleased by the better results that Jose Contreras has had in recent starts, but that doesn't mean they've stopped sending scouts to watch potential trade targets. While Contreras was beating the Diamondbacks Tuesday night, the Yankees had a scout watching the Mariners' Freddy Garcia pitch in Milwaukee. Last weekend, the Mariners had two scouts trailing the Yankees' Double-A Trenton affiliate and the Royals have a scout watching Trenton, too. The Yankees' top prospect, catcher Dioner Navarro, plays for Trenton.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball...4p-175831c.html

Brandon Claussen  :ph34r:

but your right, the Yankees feed all teams crap and hype about their freakin prospects.  The only "fair" trade I remember the Yankees making involving prospects was the Knoblauch deal to the Twins where they recieved Guzman, Milton and others.

Seattle like Jay Buhner for quite a while.

The Yankees don't have anything.  I really feel right now that the Yankees would already have acquired Garcia had they had anything of importance in their minor league system, I mean come on, there the Yankees.

Yankees are on pace to win 110 games - and that mostly without Giambi, with horrible starts from Bernie and Jeter, and with Sheffield and A-Rod yet to hit their stride.

Somehow I think they'll be ok. :lol:

Yankees are on pace to win 110 games - and that mostly without Giambi, with horrible starts from Bernie and Jeter, and with Sheffield and A-Rod yet to hit their stride.

Somehow I think they'll be ok. :lol:

I never said they wouldn't be okay. All I said is they don't have what it takes to acquire a top tier pitcher ala Freddy Garcia. :rolleyes: