Knight may consider Ohio St.

I got this from the Sun Times:

"Knight may consider Ohio St.

June 17, 2004

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State had not contacted Bob Knight about its coaching position as of Wednesday evening, ESPN.com reported, but the Web site is reporting if an offer is made, Knight will leave Texas Tech.

Marquette's Tom Crean and Rutgers' Gary Waters also are considered possibilities to replace Jim O'Brien, who was fired June 8 after admitting giving a recruit $6,000 five years ago.

Knight, reportedly, was offered a three-year extension earlier this month to stay at Texas Tech, but he has yet to sign. Knight is 48 wins away from surpassing Dean Smith (879) to become the winningest coach in Division I history.

Meanwhile, at least four calls were made from a cell phone issued to the Ohio State men's basketball office to the home of a woman whose lawsuit led to the firing of O'Brien, phone records show.

In her lawsuit against two Ohio State boosters, Kathleen Salyers of Columbus, alleges that O'Brien and an assistant knew that player Boban Savovic received regular payments and classroom help, in defiance of NCAA rules.

Salyers testified in a deposition in April that she agreed to take in Savovic after receiving a call in July 1998 from Dan Roslovic, who said he was calling from the basketball office of Ohio State assistant coach Paul Biancardi, now the head coach at Wright State.

Phone records from Ohio State show four calls were made that month to Salyers home from a cell phone number labeled on the records as belonging to ''Basketball Assistant,'' Sports Illustrated reported first Tuesday on its Web site.

The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reviewed the records and reported Wednesday that they were for Biancardi's phone.

Salyers said Biancardi regularly contacted her about Savovic and often told her he was calling at O'Brien's instruction. Biancardi has denied the allegations.

Bob Noss, Wright State's sports information director, said Biancardi had no comment on the cell phone calls.

Steve Snapp, Ohio State's sports information director, declined to comment.

Salyers said she housed and fed the player for two years, spending thousands of dollars on phone bills, car insurance and spending money for Savovic, who was on the 1998-99 team that O'Brien led to the Final Four.

Ohio State fired O'Brien on June 8 after he admitted he gave $6,000 in 1999 to Aleksandar Radojevic, a recruit who never attended Ohio State because he was ruled ineligible after the NCAA found out he had been paid to play in Europe.

Ohio State athletic director Andy Geiger learned of the payment to Radojevic because it was mentioned in Salyers' statement in her lawsuit."

I doubt that Ohio St. will end up getting Knight, but it would be interesting to see him back in the Big Ten. Also, I don't think that Ohio St. has a real shot at get Tom Crean. I mean, if Illinois couldn't get Crean away from Marquette, Ohio St. won't be able to pry him away either.

I thought Bruce Weber was supposed to take over for Keady

Booya.

Nope, it was Painter.

It might be even more interesting if OSU doesn't hire Knight and IU fires Mike Davis next year. Think they'd try to get Knight back?