Awesome Jersey

CubsSuck1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...5101663511&rd=1

That jersey looks amazing. That style from the late 80's (88-90, I think), it probably my favorite in the history of all Sox jerseys. If I could ever buy one of those, I'd be pretty happy, but they seem to be pretty rare to come across.

Some reason that's my favorite jersey too. I guess it wasn't too well accepted by the masses though. I remember reading on WSI that the hat and uniform combo of the late 80's-1990 wasn't liked.

1987: 

Script Throwbacks.

The Sox may have been threatening to leave Chicago, but it was strictly back to tradition with these new uniforms.  The script "White Sox" logo was inspired by the 1942 uniform.  The pig-tail "C" was often confused with an "E." Thus many angry Sox Fans accused owner Eddie Einhorn of creating a cap to honor himself.  Presumably the Florida White Sox wouldn't want a "C" on their cap. 

Of course the "C" was actually taken from the script "Chicago" logo used on all Sox road uniforms from 1967 through 1975.  If Einhorn wanted to honor himself, there are better ways to do it than an ugly pig-tail cap.

The numeral on the pants leg was removed after 1987 and a series of red and white stripes added to the stirrups in 1988 after G.M. Larry Himes complained publicly about Sox players not leaving enough of the their stirrups showing beneath their pants leg to satisfy his personal tastes.  Himes decreed that he would fine any Sox ballplayer that didn't have a least one red and white stripe showing on his stirrups.  Not surprisingly, the Sox kept losing.

Himes was better at selecting talent in the draft (Jack McDowell, Robin Ventura, Frank Thomas, and Alex Fernandez in consecutive years, 1987-90) than he was as a motivator of ballplayers--or uniform design.

Interesting. I think they look great.

I really want one of the home uniforms from that era, with the White Sox wording in script. I can't find one picture of it on the net, with the exception of this drawing on WSI.

EDIT: Scroll down to the 1987; they won't let me post it. http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...egory=3&id=2104

I really want one of the home uniforms from that era, with the White Sox wording in script.  I can't find one picture of it on the net, with the exception of this drawing on WSI.

EDIT:  Scroll down to the 1987; they won't let me post it.  http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/in...egory=3&id=2104

mn-ws90h-35.gif

Yea, I'd love one of those. I'm trying to think of some great player that would have worn that one. Did Thomas play with those unis for a year?

I'd also like a Dick Allen Red Pin Stripes from the 70's. You can't go wrong with RPS. It really sucks though because most jerseys, esp. the Dick Allen one, I can only find in huge sizes (usually 3-4XL). Ideally, I'd wear a medium :o . Large I could probably handle, but it would be really big on me, and I don't wanna look like a hobo. I guess I'll just blame it on the fat people..

mn-ws90h-35.gif

Yea, I'd love one of those. I'm trying to think of some great player that would have worn that one. Did Thomas play with those unis for a year?

I'd also like a Dick Allen Red Pin Stripes from the 70's. You can't go wrong with RPS. It really sucks though because most jerseys, esp. the Dick Allen one, I can only find in huge sizes (usually 3-4XL). Ideally, I'd wear a medium  :o . Large I could probably handle, but it would be really big on me, and I don't wanna look like a hobo. I guess I'll just blame it on the fat people..

get large at least

you will grow (your chest has to thicken yet) and the shirt that is a tad big at 15 is way too tight to be anything but a rag by 20.

get extra large for the living large rapper look with your retro jersey :headbang that's what I do! ;)

mn-ws90h-35.gif

I'd also like a Dick Allen Red Pin Stripes from the 70's. You can't go wrong with RPS. It really sucks though because most jerseys, esp. the Dick Allen one, I can only find in huge sizes (usually 3-4XL). Ideally, I'd wear a medium  :o . Large I could probably handle, but it would be really big on me, and I don't wanna look like a hobo. I guess I'll just blame it on the fat people..

I'm pretty sure Baines and Fisk wore those jerseys and for some reason I remember Ozzie in one of those jerseys.

Speaking of Sox stuff, where would be a good place for me to stop in downtown that would have boatloads of Sox crap. I want to pick some stuff up since they got nothing where I am.

All I have Sox related is a Sox spring training T-shirt and an old old Sox hat.

mn-ws90h-35.gif

That's a sweet jersey, but this:

mn-ws83h72.gif

Is my favorite from the 80s.

Oh, Carlton Fisk may have played in that jersey? Or Ozzie?

I seem to remember having a baseball card with him (Thomas) wearing this...

Yea, maybe one of his rookies. I know theres a '90 Donruss I have.

get large at least

you will grow (your chest has to thicken yet) and the shirt that is a tad big at 15 is way too tight to be anything but a rag by 20.

get extra large for the living large rapper look with your retro jersey  that's what I do! 

If I ever got an authentic, whch I don't own yet, and I had to dish out $150-$200 for it, I'd have to get large for sure. That's a large sum of cahs that could be well spent elsewhere, so I better be wearing that jersey my whole life. Maybe I can learn to bench press a few extra pounds to see if my chest can start to grow.

As far as the rapper look, I'm about 6 feet 130. I'd be wearing a full night gown. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Baines and Fisk wore those jerseys and for some reason I remember Ozzie in one of those jerseys. 

Speaking of Sox stuff, where would be a good place for me to stop in downtown that would have boatloads of Sox crap.  I want to pick some stuff up since they got nothing where I am. 

All I have Sox related is a Sox spring training T-shirt and an old old Sox hat.

Grandstand Sports. Its about 3 blocks away from the cell on 35th street. Ton of stuff, but bring your wallet.

Yeah....Thomas did wear that jersey. Where did you get that picture of the jersey from? Is it a site that they're selling it on?

I did a google search. I'll see if I can find the site its on...

Grandstand Sports. Its about 3 blocks away from the cell on 35th street. Ton of stuff, but bring your wallet.

I did a google search. I'll see if I can find the site its on...

Cool...by the way did you figure out whether you need ot make a reservation just to go to the Yard Sale?

Cause I'm gonna be there at 9 tomorrow and then I'll go to that grand stand sports thing. I just want to see what US Cell looks like with the renovations.

Cool...by the way did you figure out whether you need ot make a reservation just to go to the Yard Sale?

Cause I'm gonna be there at 9 tomorrow and then I'll go to that grand stand sports thing.  I just want to see what US Cell looks like with the renovations.

Nope, no reservation needed if you are JUST going to the yardsale. I'll be there at 9 as well. cya around.

I'll just go around yelling Cubsuck and see how effective that is  :lol:

I'm sure that will get a LOT of people joining in on that chant.

Grandstand is absolutely the place for you to check out. That's where my folks got Esteban to sign an authentic #21 jersey that they gave me for Christmas and is now a prized possession.

Are you in for any of the games next week? I fly in on Tuesday.

That Astros jersey is FUGLY.

I find it hilarious that all the freakin' ugly jerseys from the 70s and 80s are now back in style, all of a sudden. Everyone I knew HATED the Sox uniforms in 83 - called them "toothpaste tubes" or "cereal boxes".

BTW, I still have my Sox jacket from 89 - blue with the script "White Sox" on the front in red with white trim. Don't really fit in it anymore - it's a men's Large, and time and pizza have taken their toll!! :D

...I could probably get a decent price for it on eBay....

That Astros jersey is FUGLY.

I find it hilarious that all the freakin' ugly jerseys from the 70s and 80s are now back in style, all of a sudden. Everyone I knew HATED the Sox uniforms in 83 - called them "toothpaste tubes" or "cereal boxes".

BTW, I still have my Sox jacket from 89 - blue with the script "White Sox" on the front in red with white trim. Don't really fit in it anymore - it's a men's Large, and time and pizza have taken their toll!! :D

...I could probably get a decent price for it on eBay....

The Indians red jersey from the 70s, Padres brown and yellow 80s jersey, Astros rainbow 80s jersey...I'm not sure what it is, but it seems that the uglier they are, the better.

I wouldn't mind having one myself...I just don't know exactly why. Maybe because it stands out. Or because it's older. :huh