Another CF possibility for the Sox?

beck72

Perusing another site, I found a thread talking about Carl Crawford possibly being available. It was based on an article mentioning the Phillies maybe getting him. In the article, it made mention that Lou Pinella would make Carl Crawford available.

Here's the link.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/8952791.htm

At first glance, I didn't think the D-Rays would give up Crawford. But with Baldelli, Crawford and Huff coming up on arbitration, the D-Rays may not have the cash to get keep all three.

A trade involving Jeremy Reed would make sense. Then the D-Rays could get Reed for 3 years on the cheap, and still maintain Baldelli and Huff. Reed could play OF or 1B for them. The Sox throw some pitching in [Rauch, Diaz] and a deal would be possible.

Crawford in CF would make a lot of sense for the Sox. With him leading off, Uribe or Harris could drop in the lineup. They are bound to tire or fall off production wise as the season progresses, and Crawford has proven himself. With his speed and defense for the next few years, trading away a guy like Reed makes sense. Much more so than for a 1 year rental.

Then Joe B could still be around for his power in RF in case Maggs leaves, with Anderson and Sweeney a few years away.

Call me crazy but this sounds doable. With the games Crawford had vs. the Sox this year, anything is possible if Ozzie has any input.

I have no problem trading 'potential' for 'proven'. Crawford would be killer in CF for the Sox, especially with his speed. Reed for Crawford? Sure. But I am not so sure if I would throw in a TOP pitching prospect also. Rausch can go, but not saure on Diaz. All in all, sounds like another grey hair for KW!

Crawford would be a huge pickup for the Sox; he could be that left handed bat that people have been talking about trading for. He's super-cheap, only making $320,000.

He's batting .301, has an OBP of .341, and he has 29 SB this early into the season. I don't know his contract situtation after this year, but he would be a great guy to keep around.

Defensively, CF is not Crawford's best position, but I would love to have him anyway. He could have been a PG for Kentucky, or a QB for Nebraska, and instead he chose baseball. It looks like that choice is really paying off.

The D'Rays have some serious OF talent in their system, so I am not sure if they would want Reed, but if we could find a way to get Crawford it would be exciting.

I'd take Carl Crawford in a second, and easily think the White Sox could muster up more than the Byrd & prospect offer the Phils are currently offering.

Only thing is, Lamar has started looking into signing Baldelli, and Crawford long term, and "progress" has been made.

Why would TB give up Crawford who may have a higher upside than Baldelli? Lou won't stand for it. :nono

Craford is just 22 - already the best defensive LF in baseball now that Jones is playing RF, is a monster on the base-paths; should develop serious gap power and patience as he gets older. Never a big-time HR hitter, but when you have all those other things going for you, you don't need HR to be an All-Star.

He will be cheap for another 4 years. Tampa will never win ALE, but they're concerned with building a fan-base - no need to get rid of one for your most promising players for Marlon Byrd or Jon Rauch or some other underachieving stiff. :lol:

Why would TB give up Crawford who may have a higher upside than Baldelli? Lou won't stand for it.  :nono

Craford is just 22 - already the best defensive LF in baseball now that Jones is playing RF, is a monster on the base-paths; should develop serious gap power and patience as he gets older.    Never a big-time HR hitter, but when you have all those other things going for you, you don't need HR to be an All-Star.

He will be cheap for another 4 years.  Tampa will never win ALE, but they're concerned with building a fan-base - no need to get rid of one for your most promising players for Marlon Byrd or Jon Rauch or some other underachieving stiff. :lol:

agreed.

Coming to work today, I was listening to the clowns on 670, (score), one of them mentioned that the Cubs should trade Patterson and someone else for Crawford. The other one, stated that Crawford can't play centerfield, any truth to this? If he could, I would make this deal as well. Also Bruce Levine reported that the Sox were close to getting Jose Contreras, but they were to give up Reed and a top AA prospect, for some reason this didn't happen. He also said that though reports say that Freddie Garcia was Yankee bound, this is not accurate, as they don't have the prospects that Seattle wants. He mentioned the Sox, though unlikely, Boston, and Minnesota, as they have alot of prospects.

I'd kill for Crawford but I would REALLY 2nd guess this if it happened. Reed is the BEST prospect in the Minor Leagues....for any team. There is a reason he won the award for Best Minor Leaguer. If he comes up with the D-Rays and becomes a perennial All-Star and Crawford stinks it up, I'd be pissed. PLUS, we would be giving up a prospect arm and you never know how they will turn out. I dont know, it would just be very risky if we did this. Don't get me wrong, Id love to get Crawford and finally have a good, everyday CF with speed, but it is just too much of a risk giving up your best prospect.

Why would TB give up Crawford who may have a higher upside than Baldelli? Lou won't stand for it.  :nono

Maybe why he's reportedly saying in "back channels" Crawford is available.

If TB can get multiple players, such as position players and pitchers for a speed guy like Crawford [both Baldelli and Crawford are in the same mold, they could use a corner OF with power [maybe Borchard would be a better fit with TB than Reed]-keep one, trade the other when their value is highest.

A lot of low payroll teams will be looking at the Brewers Sexson trade as the kind of trade that could rebuild their club. TB may look at trading Crawford [Or Huff or Baldelli] as a way to keep their club competitive while maintaining a low team payroll.

I'd kill for Crawford but I would REALLY 2nd guess this if it happened. Reed is the BEST prospect in the Minor Leagues....for any team. There is a reason he won the award for Best Minor Leaguer. If he comes up with the D-Rays and becomes a perennial All-Star and Crawford stinks it up, I'd be pissed. PLUS, we would be giving up a prospect arm and you never know how they will turn out. I dont know, it would just be very risky if we did this. Don't get me wrong, Id love to get Crawford and finally have a good, everyday CF with speed, but it is just too much of a risk giving up your best prospect.

That is everyones worry.

Risks must be taken. Some work, some don't.

Todd Ritchie.

Jeremy Reed for Carl Crwaford... Hell Yes! ... Crawford is a proven commodity. Reed is still, at this point in time, a prospect. There's no gaurantees with a prospect. I don't care if he is your "best" prospect, which in itself is argueable.

However, Crawford is NOT the LH bat we need. What we need is an RBI producer from the left side. A good RH pitcher can let Crawford get on base, and then just mow through all our righty RBI guys.

Coming to work today, I was listening to the clowns on 670, (score), one of them mentioned that the Cubs should trade Patterson and someone else for Crawford. The other one, stated that Crawford can't play centerfield, any truth to this?

Crawford's played in less than 10 games in CF for TB this year. I'm not sure about previous years or in the minors. Yet he has the speed to be better than what the Sox have there now.

The key would be revamping the top of the lineup with a Harris / Crawford 1-2 that would make Ozzie forget all about Pierre / Castillo.

Doesn't anyone else remember Guillen gushing about Crawford after Carl ran wild against the Sox earlier in the year?! Tell me Ozzie wouldn't mind Kenny overpaying for a guy like Crawford, not just to win now but for the future.

However, Crawford is NOT the LH bat we need.  What we need is an RBI producer from the left side.  A good RH pitcher can let Crawford get on base, and then just mow through all our righty RBI guys.

And all the while, Crawford is stealing his way to 3rd base, so that a simple fly ball, which our guys are very capable of doing, will score a run. With Crawford's speed, pitchers would do almost anything to keep him off the bases. How many teams have a stud catcher that can throw out a runner like him? How many pitchers actually hold runners on well? Not many.

Crawford won't stink it up.

And Jeremy Reed is not the messiah. He's a good, pure hitter. He does nothing spectacular.

If we could, I'd trade Reed for Crawford in a second, and I'd even give up another prospect. I'd just prefer to have the LH bat that we get be able to provide some power.

Coming to work today, I was listening to the clowns on 670, (score), one of them mentioned that the Cubs should trade Patterson and someone else for Crawford. The other one, stated that Crawford can't play centerfield, any truth to this? If he could, I would make this deal as well. Also Bruce Levine reported that the Sox were close to getting Jose Contreras, but they were to give up Reed and a top AA prospect, for some reason this didn't happen. He also said that though reports say that Freddie Garcia was Yankee bound, this is not accurate, as they don't have the prospects that Seattle wants. He mentioned the Sox, though unlikely, Boston, and Minnesota, as they have alot of prospects.

If Everett can play CF, then Crawford surely can. :lol:

For those who think Crawford is untradeable, look at his minor league numbers. TB may think his value is at his highest. [And it may be]. He's a career .295 hitter in the minors, in 1714 AB's, with a .400 SLG, with 101 BB's and 308 K's.

His OBP in 2003 was .309. This year it's .340+. He does strike out a lot. TB may want more power from their OF. If they keep Baldelli, then they may want power from the other spots. Joe B. may be a better fit for them than Reed.

The Sox could teach him to be patient. He's only 22. But they can't teach him speed like he has.

Anyone remember Lou guaranteeing Crawford would win a batting title in the next 3 seasons? That alone shows that Lou loves the kid, and with Lamar talking long term extension with Rocco and Carl's agents' gets me thinking that Carl Crawford will not be available, regardless of the deal offered.

Keep Dreaming though I guess.