When is a Sox pitching prospect....

whitesox61382

Im sorry but I do not want to send Munoz out for another start... wins are becoming too important for us this year and.. as sad as this is.. Im pretty sure that the 0-8 by the 5th starter is going to cost us the division  :crying

I hope im wrong

And none of the Botched saves will cost us a division. I am sure of that too because after all Botch is our closer, period for the rest of the year

:rolleyes:

How much of a factor is nerves? If you had that much adreniline (sp), your mechanics would suck too. It's so hard to relax, and that's what I would gather from this. If you can't relax, your mechanics have to get messed up, don't they?

How much of a factor is nerves?  If you had that much adreniline (sp), your mechanics would suck too.  It's so hard to relax, and that's what I would gather from this.  If you can't relax, your mechanics have to get messed up, don't they?

I really wish that Rex would have seen the game. I haven't seen any of Munoz this year prior to last night, but I'm sure that he wasn't using the same dilivery that he was at B'ham.

I really wish that Rex would have seen the game.  I haven't seen any of Munoz this year prior to last night, but I'm sure that he wasn't using the same dilivery that he was at B'ham.

I did see the game and it was hurtful to watch. All I can say is that is not the Arnie Munoz we have seen all year in Birmingham.

His pitches were up, that is not normal. He missed close on a few fastballs and then seemed to lose it. Just off the top of my head, I can count 5 times (Carroll's 2B and 3B, Vidro's 2B and Rivera's 2 HR's) where he threw letter high fastballs. I have rarely ever seen him throw pitches up there.

He was leaving his changeup up and out, a sure sign he wasn't following through, which means he wasn't confident throwing it. He did get Everett out the second time on a nice change, but it was clear that after the initial onslaught, he was aiming the ball, rather than throwing it aggressively.

The problem with his curveball is that it is not effective completely on its own. Without the hitters respecting his ability to locate his fastball and change, they could sit on the curveball, which he had to throw for strikes. Normally, he can do more with his curveball because he has other pitches that cannot be taken for granted. Last night they could.

I think he was better in the 3rd inning until he left a fastball up to Carroll again. If the Sox didn't score some runs in the top of the 4th, I wouldn't have minded them sending him out there again in the 4th to see if he could regain some confidence.

The Arnie Munoz that will soon pitch in the Majors is one that locates his fastball inside and out and missing down rather than up. He throws the change well and often just off the plate. His curveball is thrown at two speeds, sometimes for strikes and other times out of the zone down, where hitters often chase. To get hitters to chase pitches, you have to make them respect you in the strike zone, which Arnie didn't do last night.

That's it in a nutshell. Arnie's margin for error is small because he doesn't have a dominant fastball. In the long run he will be alright and will bounce back. Last night just wasn't his night.

I did see the game and it was hurtful to watch. All I can say is that is not the Arnie Munoz we have seen all year in Birmingham

That's what I told WS30682 - AA hitters would have killed him as well if he had pitched like that.

The problem is that there is no guarantee that Munoz will be "Munoz of old" in his 2nd start, so it would be wise to leave him in AAA for the rest of the year. For his own sake.