Rauch gets 5th starter nod (again)

Xero

I don't know if its been posted but to verify it...Rauch has been called up to take Munoz spot and will be the 5th starter.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=1825203

Chicago White Sox: The White Sox recalled right-hander Jon Rauch from Triple-A Charlotte on Sunday.

In his last stint with Chicago, Rauch drew criticism from general manager Kenny Williams and several White Sox teammates after he left the clubhouse before the end of a 5-1 loss to Anaheim on May 29.

The 6-foot-11 Rauch, who arrived at Olympic Stadium during the game, was sent back to Charlotte after his dismal start against the Angels when he gave up five runs and 10 hits in 3 2/3 innings.

Williams went down to the clubhouse in the ninth inning in an attempt to talk to Rauch about his performance, but Rauch had already left.

Rauch is among five pitchers who have combined to go 0-8 as Chicago's No. 5 starter, including Arnie Munoz, who was sent back to Charlotte immediately after making the worst debut by a starter in the majors in over eight years Saturday.

Munoz, who turns 22 on Monday, was recalled from Double-A Birmingham on Friday. He allowed 11 runs and 10 hits in three innings in a 17-14 loss to the Expos.

It was the worst debut since April 7, 1996, when St. Louis' Mike Busby allowed 13 runs -- eight earned -- and nine hits in four innings of a 13-3 loss in Atlanta.

And if its been posted, sorry for the xtra post

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well that's interesting. He is leading the International League in ERA so you'd think he could do something. I'm just surprised he got called up after what KW said. Maybe this is a ploy to raise his trade value.

That is what I was thinking. Maybe a trade was in the works with him and the team wanted to see how he does his next start to figure out what they would give for him.

I was at the game Jon pitched. He was hit very hard. I have not been on much lately sorry if this is old stuff sorry. Neither Rauch or Munoz throw over 90. The genius that is Hawk and DJ will tell you time and again that you do not need to throw hard to be successful. If you are not throwing strikes with your offspeed stuff and you throw as hard as a good high school pitcher, you will get shelled, (i.e. Rauch and Munoz.) Thursday will be yet another affirmation that KW is failing to get this team over the hump.

With every passing day our starting four are being taxed. By skipping the fifth starter every time, our pitchers never get 5 or even 6 days rest between starts. I use the cub as an example of a team whose pitcher looks fresh every time out there. We have outings from starters that look like they could use an extra day every now and then. This will once again kill this team in a the worst division in baseball.

I quote Hawk, "Show me a team with 5 good starters and I will show you a playoff team." Isn't that what we are trying to f***ing do??????

I'd leave him in the No. 5 slot the rest of the year no matter what.

His credentials suggest he deserves a chance.

The revolving door must stop.

I've got to agree with that.

Two other things working for him. In most of his starts at Charlotte, he only went about 5 innings. His last two, he has worked deep into the game.

He's going to want to Shove his performance up KW's ass. He's been a guy who's thrown well under pressure before. In the Olympics, he was arguably better than Sheets, though Sheets Gold-Medal game performance gives him the nod. I think he's got something to prove, and he should finally produce.

I'd leave him in the No. 5 slot the rest of the year no matter what.

His credentials suggest he deserves a chance.

The revolving door must stop.

I agree. I thought it shoulda been Cotts, but I have no problem with Rauch.

The problem is, with the sort of ultimatum start where you either succeed or get demoted, that much more pressure is placed on you when you don't have the comfort of knowing you have another chance. In many cases like this, the pitchers try and be to pperfect and end up f***ing up. I know it's common knowledge but I feel it's still the case.

:lol:

You should soooooo manage the Sox, Dan.

That would be the day....

Joe Crede would play everyday.

Konerko and Thomas would be put at other infield positions than 1st when we are getting our asses kicked.

No player would ever be allowed to bunt.

We would run a lot more than even Ozzie does.

Jeremy Reed would get called up (Oh wait, that would be if I was GM...:lol: )

Jose Valentin would be benched.

Carlos Lee would never see the outfield again...

Wouldn't that be great? :lol:

I don't know if its been posted but to verify it...Rauch has been called up to take Munoz spot and will be the 5th starter.

I don't see anywhere that Rauch was called up to be the 5th starter. He may end up being that, but I guarantee you he was called up today in case they needed bullpen help. There is no reason they would have called him up today, 4 days ahead of a scheduled start, when their bullpen was depleted like it is.....

He was called up to pitch out of the bullpen. If he is not needed, he very well may become the 5th starter next time they need one, but that could not have been the reason for his callup today.

Ok, it is not in their but...use your imagination...why else would they bring him up :ph34r:

for the very reason I said.......... to pitch out of the bullpen because their bullpen was depleted last night. There is NO reason to call him up today so that he can start 4 days from now, when they had an overworked bullpen. Why do you think he was warming up in the bullpen in the 8th inning?

He may start Thursday or whenever the 5th guy is due to go again, but he was there today in case Jon Garland got rocked.

It's not rocket science. LOL

I've got to agree with that.

Two other things working for him.  In most of his starts at Charlotte, he only went about 5 innings. His last two, he has worked deep into the game.

He's going to want to Shove his performance up KW's ass.  He's been a guy who's thrown well under pressure before.  In the Olympics, he was arguably better than Sheets, though Sheets Gold-Medal game performance gives him the nod.  I think he's got something to prove, and he should finally produce.

Personally I think Rauch has finally stopped babying his arm and is going all out. I think Kw's reaction kicked him in the ass and told him, either pitch your ass of or get the hell out of the organization.

I Think Rauch has never thrown like he was healthy and now, finally he's going out and letting the ball fly without any fear for his arm (knowing his back is against a wall). Maybe it results in him reinjuring it or maybe it just resulted in him getting his old stuff back.

I've heard numerous times that some pitchers flat out refuse to let it lose, they always baby their arm in a sense after seriously hurting their arm.

I wonder.

Was Rauch's "5th starter nod" less of a nod and more of a KW crow eating contest?

:)

They don't really have any other choices than Rauch. Stats-wise he was clearly the best at Charlotte. With KW being unable to pull off a trade, it's Rauch.

The Schoeneweis quotes in today's paper are revealing. SS tells Rauch to admit his mistake, own up to it, and don't blame anyone else. Konerko and Valentin have made similar comments.

Even with the resident anti-KW theorist on the other board claiming this was all KW's fault, the players are stating otherwise.

Hmmmm ... who to believe? :rolleyes: