Wireless routers

CubsSuck1

Anyone have a wireless router? How do you like it? I'm ythinking about getting one but I'm not suer if it will run well. My modem is the ground floor of my house, but I want to route the internet on the floor directly above it. It will be for a desktop computer, most likely, so I could run wire up there if I needed to, as well. What do you think I should do?

Anyone have a wireless router? How do you like it? I'm ythinking about getting one but I'm not suer if it will run well. My modem is the ground floor of my house, but I want to route the internet on the floor directly above it. It will be for a desktop computer, most likely, so I could run wire up there if I needed to, as well. What do you think I should do?

Excuse me, the Drew.

If you have a dell computer, I highly suggest you get a modem that is wireless, router or whatever.

You can sit on the pot and talk to ur friends or watch the Sox and not look at the TV and keep turning around.

Where to begin, Beastly?

If you have a dell computer, I highly suggest you get a modem that is wireless, router or whatever.

I'm going to get a packard bell desktop, which will be the computer downstairs that the modem is hooked up to.

The gateway desktop I have now will probably go upstairs; the connection will be routed to this computer.

You can sit on the pot and talk to ur friends or watch the Sox and not look at the TV and keep turning around.

No thank you.

On another note, I might want to get a laptop in a couple years, so I want to keep my options open.

The gateway now has a million viruses from downloading music and other crap, so if I screw up the gateway more with viruses, is the other computer safe? Is there a firewall?

Would the connection be slowed down at all? It will have to go through a ceiling. How much would it slow down downloading? Running wire upstairs isn't really hard at all, would it be better to do that than to go wireless?

Any suggestion on the router and card I should get? I don't wanna spend too much cash.

ould the connection be slowed down at all? It will have to go through a ceiling. How much would it slow down downloading? Running wire upstairs isn't really hard at all, would it be better to do that than to go wireless?

If you are concerned with speed, get a Wireless G router or Super G Wireless.

Well I have all top of the line equipment. Works always for me. But since you want to be a cheap P.I.M.P. then thats okay too, you just get poor and s***ty quality.

There was a lynksys router that was good for about 70; the card was 60. $130 is fine, I guess.

Holy s***, this is like a tech convention...this thread deserves my favorite nerd pic (not that anyone here is a nerd, but the topic is nerdy):

page21-04.jpg

My favorite internet humor writer pointed out that the T-Shirt appears to say "Aerial c***"

If you are concerned with speed, get a Wireless G router or Super G Wireless.

Eh, the normal ones transfer at 54kbps, and they cost about $70. An Xtreme G router had a transfer of 108kbps, and the price was $100. I'll have to decide between those.

On another note, I might want to get a laptop in a couple years, so I want to keep my options open.

The gateway now has a million viruses from downloading music and other crap, so if I screw up the gateway more with viruses, is the other computer safe? Is there a firewall?

Would the connection be slowed down at all? It will have to go through a ceiling. How much would it slow down downloading? Running wire upstairs isn't really hard at all, would it be better to do that than to go wireless?

Any suggestion on the router and card I should get? I don't wanna spend too much cash.

For the computer recieving the connection; you can get either a reciever that plugs into USB or connects to the back of your computer. I use the USB kind. I got the USB because I didn't feel like taking my moms computers cover off and installing the hardware for the other kind. I believe USB is 10 MBPS, which is plenty enough since most ISPs don't let you download over 1 MBPS if you're lucky, or if you altered their settings, which is illegal.

The connection should not be messed up any way, since my hard connection is coming from a basement and the router is sending it two stories up to the top floor.

Any virii that you have on your Gateway will be in no way, shape, or form installed onto your newer computer unless you do it manually, which I don't think you want to do. :P

Let's compare prices.

I have this router, which is not top of the line, but still very well. If you're that concerned about speeds, spend an extra 20 bucks and get the Wireless-G. Wireless-B works just fine for someone who doesn't download and uses the internet sparingly (my mom), and before she used it, I used it and download TONS of things at perfectly normal speeds.

5250774_rc.jpg

And I have this USB Adapter

5974065_rc.jpg

Both are $70 each. Total being $140. This is my setup, it works greatly. I don't suggest you get any other router than a linksys. Linksys is the best.

If you decided to go the non wireless route, then you get this router. $80

4777423_rc.jpg

And an estimate of 100 Feet of CAT5 cable. You'd have to do your own measuring on it though. $82 for 100 Feet of it but I'm sure you can find some other cheap-o cable.

$162 or less.

You should also not buy it over the internet, so as to not have to pay shipping fees and such.

Go visit any stores in your area that sell this kind of stuff (Any Best Buys, Circuit Citys, CompUSA's, Staples) and compare the prices. Find out the best one, and make your purchase there.

No Shipping charges from Staples and they price match anything so if you find it cheaper you can just get the difference plus 10 percent.

i have a linksys 802.11b and it works like a gem. every once in a while (like once every couple of months) it will disconnect the signal and i have to go down in the basement to the desktop it's hooked up too and unplug & replug in everything and restart the computer. but the desktop it's hooked up to is old (366 mhz, windows me) so i think that's where the problem lies...

Thanks everyone for the input, I'll most likely go wireless when we get the new packard in a couple weeks. Hopefully mom mom just lets me have the old computer, rather than buy it from her. If she knows how much money I'll have to put into it to get it up and running upstais then maybe she'll let it slide.

Also, about getting it de-virused... We were given an estimate by a computer place for $300 dollars at least to get all the viruses off my computer. We were then given an estimate for $70 at best buy, but that was just for May I believe. My computer runs ok, but still it is supposedly f***ed up pretty bad from doing to much cdrap on it. Any thoughts?

Make sure to add a firewall and protect the network. I have a couple laptops on my network. I have an all brick home and can work outside so I am certain shooting upstairs would be fine.

For the record my connection is via a cablemodem with a Linksys router. I went with the 802.11b

It was very easy to set up and works like a charm.